Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Genuine Porsche Engine Mounts versus Aftermarket - verdict is in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Portly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silvergray951
I replaced the worn out engine mounts with the cheaper aftermarket type and the car vibrated pretty badly at idle.
When I bought my car a while back, "new motor mounts" was listed in the service history. The car vibrates at idle, and I've always wondered if this was a sign that they'd used aftermarket mounts, or that something more serious was wrong.

Thanks for providing the answer. Guess I can add "new motor mounts" to the list of things I should do to this car.

_Jeff
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Originally Posted by bscpanther
ahh yes. Just in case anyone else is in the market you can get these for $83 at my favorite place to shop. www.autohausaz.com
always good stuff at awesome prices plus they are having the mounts on sale this month. Yeah baby...
Pretty sure those are OE not Porsche.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought some new Porsche mounts from paragon, they now have to machine the "P" embelm off. Just look for a spot were it has been machined to see if they are the real deal.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:00 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

+1 on the Factory Mounts. I just had mine done a few months back and was just amazed at how smooth the car ran at idle. I'm talking no vibration whatsoever in the cockpit. Also, I have been told the factory parts last much longer than the aftermarket crap.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find infuriating is that they sell the aftermarket ones as "OEM" Original Equipment. I always thought the M was for manufacture ie the same part just not through the carbuilders system, and the markups. The seller was very careful to explain that the M was manufacturer, ie the same manufacturer who manufacutures Factory parts.

So with that interpretation any part manufacturer that has made 1 mount for any of the carbuilders could claim OEM status

In this case the two parts are nowhere near the same. The factory mounts are hydraulic, ie fluid filled, the OEM ones are solid, which I suspect is how they get the price down. If the only downside was the vibration transmitted to the chassis it wouldn't be so bad, but the real problem is they don't last. I got barely 3 years out of mine. And what a pain to change, its just not worth the saving. I am really surprised that anyone sells them. I can understand finding them on Ebay, but even Lindsey and others carry them. I guess if you don't mind the vibration, and your not keeping your car long and have to save $100 then its an option.

Last edited by samluke; 10-04-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I bought some new Porsche mounts from paragon, they now have to machine the "P" embelm off. Just look for a spot were it has been machined to see if they are the real deal.
I remember Jason from Paragon posting about that over two years ago. I just can't remember why he said they had to shave the 'P' but he explained it. Some of the aftermarket mounts I've seen don't even have a part number on them, let alone a 'P'. It used to be possible to get both the Porsche OE and the identical item from the same manufacturer through vendors. Now you don't know what you have unless you they are specifically stated as the 'good' ones for about $100/ea or the crappy clones for as low as $50/ea.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

The one mount on my car is green so im assuming thats aftermarket one which should be replaced. The question is how much vibration is there between the "good" ones and the supermounts. I might as well upgrade when doing the mount
Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
The one mount on my car is green so im assuming thats aftermarket one which should be replaced. The question is how much vibration is there between the "good" ones and the supermounts. I might as well upgrade when doing the mount
Hey Tim,

Maybe it depends on the car, but I have solid mounts and there is no vibration to speak of.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Originally Posted by ApexCars
Pretty sure those are OE not Porsche.
How are you pretty sure these aren't Porsche? They say Porsche in the title. As far as I know there are OE (original equipment) and aftermarket parts... and from everything I've read OE is supposed to be the same as "factory", the only difference is I can't find parts listed as "factory" only by the two before mentioned titles. The motor mounts listed on Paragon are labled "Original" which to me is the same as OE. Can someone post me an example where aftermarket parts are being sold as OE or vice-versa?? Or is there something else I'm missing here?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Not only did I have a vibration problem (and really didn't even realize it until changing them out), but also my motor was practically sitting on the frame because the old mounts which were less than 3 years old, had worn down so bad. Don't ask me how that happens, but there's no question for me, I'll only use the factory parts.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
I always thought the M was for manufacturer ie the same part just not through the carbuilders system. The seller was very careful to explain that the M was manufacturer, ie the same manufacturer who manufacutures the Factory parts.
The same manufacturer, but not necessarily made to the same specifications as factory.

OE is original equipment made to the same specifications as factory. Generally, you can only get OE directly from Porsche parts counters, or resellers that are obligated to "erase" the OE Porsche markings, as was mentioned.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the factory mounts green? Or are those aftermarket ones?

My car vibrates like no other when idling... (the hood warps up and down from the vibration)
Old 10-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK, factory 944 motor mounts are black rubber. At least the pair I bought from Brumos Porsche in FL were.

The only visible upgrade to the initial version were some metal plates that were added to the contact surface to extend motor mount life.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

There was a problem with older aftermarket mounts in the past.

The used to come in full black colour (i believe) those had issues....

Newer aftermarket mounts appear like the factory.......

The PO on my car got new mounts, have NO idea which ones they are, but i fear the passenger side one is slightly collaped, and i ordered a new aftermarket one as a "repair for now", if the old one comes out the same (with part numbers and symbols) and the issue of mine is solved, then i can also agree (only then) that aftermarket mounts fail after a few years.....
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

You can't tell the difference on the outside other than the Porsche part number and Porsche symbol manufactured in to the part. The difference is internal.

Bad photo but you get the idea, complete junk. The other side wasn't much better
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Genuine Porsche Engine Mounts versus Aftermarket - verdict is in...