Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

There's (almost) a dozen aftermarket manufacturers of 944/951/968 struts & shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:40 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts
Default There's (almost) a dozen aftermarket manufacturers of 944/951/968 struts & shocks

Hi folks,

You may not realize it but there's almost a dozen aftermarket manufacturers of struts and/or shocks for the 924/944/951/968.

That's pretty good for an older low volume model.

They are: Bilstein, Ground Control, H&R, JIC, JRZ, Koni, KW, Leda, Moton, Öhlins and ProTrac. You can find links to those companies at: http://www.weissach.net/924-944-968_...Suppliers.html

Note that I was going to add KLA to that list but when I checked their site this afternoon, I couldn't find the rear coilover they used to sell anywhere on the site. Have they stopped making it?

Oh and of course lets not forget that Porsche and Sachs Boge still provide some OEM struts and shocks for the cars.

Anyway... a few pics:

Bilstein:

Ground Control:

H&R:

JIC:

JRZ:

Koni:

KW (not an exact picture of the unit for the 944, but couldn't find a better shot):

Leda:

Moton:

Öhlins:

ProTrac

Karl.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
jacklet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know about the rest of you but the ohlins set up makes me warm and tingly inside
Old 07-24-2006, 08:21 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacklet
i don't know about the rest of you but the ohlins set up makes me warm and tingly inside
...and broke.

Any feedback on a more value oriented street performance struts?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:45 PM
jacklet
Racer

bilstein set-up prolly is the most value oriented-the ohlins i don't even know where to start 5k maybe more? hell if i know
Old 07-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Anyone know anything about the H&R coilovers? I didn't even know they made any for our cars!

Does anyone happen to know if the JIC coilovers are compression and rebound adjustable? I would certainly hope so for nearly $3k. I emailed JIC but have yet to hear from them. If they are just the FLT-A2 with different mounting points/brackets for the 944, then ~$2900 is around $1000 more than they charge for most other cars unfortuntately.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

suprised nobody else caught this

Last edited by ShApE; 02-25-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ShApE
suprised nobody else caught this
I think its more like nobody cares. JK
Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 AM
baldheadracing
Instructor

For completeness sake, DMS also makes a 944 setup for tarmac rallying, for those of us who go fast on rough roads. http://dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-bin/e...1&pid=232&a=dc
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
value oriented street performance 
hehehe... Koni yellow and M030, nuff said.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
For completeness sake, DMS also makes a 944 setup for tarmac rallying, for those of us who go fast on rough roads. http://dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-bin/e...1&pid=232&a=dc
Thanks Craig.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Daily driving might be considered tarmac rallying in some parts of the US, due to road quality! Karl, thanks for the post. It didn't really occur to me how many suspension manufacturers there really are for these cars! I think I've narrowed my choices down to KW, JIC, or DMS after reading tons of reviews from various other car forums on the net.

Has anyone here used the JIC Coilovers, and if so what were your impressions? I just received an email back from Paul @ JIC Usa and he said the 944/968 JIC coilovers are the same as their FLT-A2 coilovers, just with different valving and spring rates of course. This means they are both rebound and compression adjustable. I've read tons of reviews on the FLT-A2's for various other cars and I don't know what to think. While I have heard of some customer service issues, and what sounds like a few quality control issues in the past year or 2, many of the reviews rave about these coilovers and lots of people say they are extremely high quality. I believe you can request different spring rates from JIC for these. Their stock spring rate is a 8kg front and 10kg rear which is about equal to 450#front and 560# rear. The front rate is probably a little on the stiff side for some people.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked on the H&R site but couldnt find anything for 944s?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

I wouldn't use DMS for daily driving - they give a punishing ride until you get some speed up (at least on Subies. The control on gravel is awesome, though). Main advantage to me would be they won't turn into mush (relatively), like my M030 Koni's (rebuilt by Truechoice) do about 5 minutes into a bumpy tarmac stage.

Myself, I tend to like support more than a particular brand, especially on something as easy to screw up in setup as adjustable shocks. Leda's seem to be well-supported for 944's (Racer's Edge) as well as Koni (Paragon), so I'd go with one of those (or Bilstein) if I ever have "spare" cash, even though other shocks are tempting.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
I wouldn't use DMS for daily driving - they give a punishing ride until you get some speed up (at least on Subies. The control on gravel is awesome, though). Main advantage to me would be they won't turn into mush (relatively), like my M030 Koni's (rebuilt by Truechoice) do about 5 minutes into a bumpy tarmac stage.

Myself, I tend to like support more than a particular brand, especially on something as easy to screw up in setup as adjustable shocks. Leda's seem to be well-supported for 944's (Racer's Edge) as well as Koni (Paragon), so I'd go with one of those (or Bilstein) if I ever have "spare" cash, even though other shocks are tempting.
I researched the DMS coilovers a bit, and the DMS Gold 40mm sound to be decent on the street. Are you using their 50mm coilovers maybe? Those are supposed to have much stiffer valving according to what I've read. After reading various reviews on Subie and Evo forums it sounds like the 40mm actually can provide comfortable street usage. What spring rates are you running, if you don't mind my asking?

Has anyone here ever had their Koni yellows converted to double adjustable? I've considered this, as well as having them revalved for my spring rates. Though, I'm afraid of going through the trouble and then finding out that they still ride like crap. Apparently it's fairly inexpensive to have both things done to your Koni yellows.

H&R has the coilovers listed on their website, though it's under "944S" for some reason. According to their notes it says they are designed for the torsion bars to be removed, just FYI.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
PHP Code:
value oriented street performance 
hehehe... Koni yellow and M030, nuff said.

That's what I was thinking....

Quick Reply: There's (almost) a dozen aftermarket manufacturers of 944/951/968 struts & shocks