Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Snapped the coolant passage allen off...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:15 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snapped the coolant passage allen off...

Woke the bolt up as usual, sprayed it, etc. I had not had the head off this engine yet so I did not know if anyone had permatex'd the front coolant passage to prevent it from screwing up the allens. Needless to say, it had not been permatex'd and snapped off. So I spent a day heating and spraying it and let it sit and kept spraying it. Then I double nutted it on the inch or so still out of the block and tried to take what was left out, which is when it sheered off again, leaving me with half a thread and a snapped off bolt basically flush with the block. Now I need to take it somewhere and have someone get the damn thing out for me and possibily helicoil it. Sadly, if the block has to come out, the car will NOT be going back on the road this year.

Another road block
Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Pictures aren't working. Which allen are you working on -- the one's that hold the neck (with vent bolt) to the front of the head?

Edit: ok, see pictures now. Bummer. Can you use the head and a small nut as a drilling jig -- to drill a pilot hole down the middle? Or make up a drilling jig that bolts in the other hole? Cobalt drill bits will melt like butter through that bolt. Avoid EZ outs and the like -- they always end up serving as hardened steel inserts in an otherwise drillable bolt (for me anyway).
Old 07-23-2006, 02:32 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try refreshing, they work on the other forum I put them on. But they are on my rennlist webspace not my server so they might be a touch flakey. Was working on the one on the coolant passage at the front of the block, but the rearward allen. (NOT the ones with the bleeder, the ones that go through the head into the block).
Old 07-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

See edit above. Also, if you're just trying to get through a few track days, you have to wonder if it would leak without that bolt? Not that I'd ever suggest that. Either way, you should not have to remove the block for that -- it's pretty accessible on top like that. I'd honestly probably just center punch it, and hand drill a tiny pilot hole (cobalt bit) then keep moving to larger bits until it is willing to come out on its own. Worst case is heli-coil (available at Napa on the weekend) which should be fine there. Easy for me to say I know. Sorry it's being a pain.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my head off that same bolt gave me trouble. I had ripped the head right off the bolt. Thankfully in my case there was enough bolt left to grab it with vice-grips and hammer that **** out of it. I agree with Tom's step-up drill bit solution with a worst case using a helicoil. Tough break man I feel for ya.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:39 PM
jacklet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a mig welder?-try this heat the bolt up with a torch put a candle on it this will melt the wax and draw it into the threads then weld a nut onto the top of it and try to turn it off-it doesn't always work but it might i've used this method before if not set up a drill and drill it
Old 07-23-2006, 03:46 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have skipped out on that bolt before, and it did not leak, but obviously i wouldnt suggest doing it outside of an emergency.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:39 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike that very bolt was snapped in my head when i got the car and it didnt leak the PO put a bolt with silicone on top of it so it looked like it was there but when i tried to get it out it just kept turning and turning....

I do have a helicoil for that hole somewhere in my garage if you want it? drill it out and helicoil for mine and has held up fine.
Edit: I also probably have the drill bit to drill out the bolt just will take some looking, give me a call if you want them I will be in my garage trying to finish my car tonight

Quick Reply: Snapped the coolant passage allen off...