Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

since you guys are the most active, I'll ask here (BOV, WG, and turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:58 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default since you guys are the most active, I'll ask here (BOV, WG, and turbo)

I got a turbo and tial WG and BOV and manual controller. I'm trying to find a pic of how the signal hoses go and how all three are connected. There's one on the BOV, two on the WG and two on the controller. A simple pic somewhere of how these three are connected and where , before or after the throttle plate would be nice.
thanks for any help you guys.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This help?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I found that same pic, but would the side port from WG need to be before any MAF or AFM? I think it doesn't matter but I don't really know.
Also, I guess the top line from the BOV goes below the throttle plate?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

How about this? I believe the banjo bolt would be before the MAF. The second vacuum line of the diverter valve goes to the fuel damper but is tied into the intake mainifold IIRC.
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2006, 12:18 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
I found that same pic, but would the side port from WG need to be before any MAF or AFM? I think it doesn't matter but I don't really know.
Also, I guess the top line from the BOV goes below the throttle plate?

No, on the 951's it comes off of a banjo bolt that's tapped into a boost pipe, well downstream of the MAF/AFM.

You need the pressurized intake charge to send the appropriate signals to the WG. In dual port mode it's the differential in pressure between the line going into the side of the WG and the line going into the top of the WG, which is limited by the MBC or EBC, that actually acuates the WG.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
azmi951
Drifting

For the BOV just connect the single line to a source AFTER the throttl plate, somwhere directly on the intake.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks you guys for the diagrams, it'll help. I failed to mention this is for a motronic 911. The AFM is sort of the same as a 944. I assumed 951's were close. Thanks for that pic sd porsche fan.
The BOV is clear now.
The line running from the side port WG to the charge air, or pressure pipe, need to run through the AFM or just bypass it completely? which would mean before the throttle plate and after the AFM.

****, an easier way to ask this is, is the side port on a wastegate a pressure or a vacc line?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Jerry, what kind of MBC do you have? The BOV just needs to be connected to the intake manifold somewhere it doesn't have to be off the dampener. W/O knowing what kind of MBC you have. The top port of your wastegate should be vented to the atmosphere and the side should be hooked up a vacuum source, on a 951 it's hooked up directly to the turbo to intercooler pipe, but it's got an electronic device (the cycling valve) in-between to control the wastegate. If you didn't have a boost controller you would need to tap in after the intercooler or else you're wg would be opening based off of pre intercooled boost, which would be higher (I think) then what your intake would actually see. Ideally, IMHO if you use a boost controller and hook it up to one port you will want to tap in as close to the turbo as possible so the bc and wg can react fastest. If you use a source from the intake manifold, the bc & wg will be reacting after the boost has already hit your intake which could be a split second of to much boost I assume this is why turbos with internal wastegates connect the line straight to the compressor housing.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:01 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Magown is correct for running the Tial in single port mode but for dual port mode, as shown in that diagram, you need both ports connected. The banjo bolt on a 951 is after the AFM and before the throttle plate, it needs to be a boost source.

HTH
Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

very much so, thank you. the MBC I have is a regular cheapie, a needle valve with a port at 90 degrees and one inline at the bottom of the valve.
this is a tial WG and tial BOV. I think your reply straightens things out.
It seems simple until I add that MBC, the brand is voodo from boost-controller.com, that's what the sticker says at least.
this is it right here http://www.voodooboost.com/boost_con.../Voodoo_I_MBC/ I'm just trying to rig up how many ports I need. thanks for all your help guys
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

With that MBC you will connect your boost source to the straight side and right angle side will go to the side port of the wastegate. The top port you can vent, just like a 930.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magown
With that MBC you will connect your boost source to the straight side and right angle side will go to the side port of the wastegate. The top port you can vent, just like a 930.
Agreed, I think J. Berkley and I cross posted, I hadn't seen his response to what type of MBC he was running when I made my post
Old 07-19-2006, 05:01 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

berkley, brinkley it's all good, thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 05:03 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

What is the difference in performance between a dual port venting the top port and one that is closed to boost with a controller in line to the top port?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
berkley, brinkley it's all good, thanks
Doh! Sorry man, feel free to call me gregwest from here on out

Quick Reply: since you guys are the most active, I'll ask here (BOV, WG, and turbo)