Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 N/A to turbo swap. please point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Spec4racing
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 N/A to turbo swap. please point me in the right direction

you guys prolly always get this question, but im new to the forum and to the porsche scene so i gotta ask.

i have an 89' 944 non-turbo. i want to turbo charge it. i've done my share of turboing N/A hondas, so i know the basic's and the amount of work it takes. i need to know if it's easier/cheaper to find a wreaked 944 turbo(951 i think?) and swap from there or shoud i buy a turbo and put a kit together myself with an aftermarket ECU and such. i'm new to the porsche scene, but once i drove my 944 i knew i didnt want anything else. i fell in love with it. so could u please point me to a site or another post with a site with instructions about turboing an N/A porsche or doing the turbo engine swap. and maybe some advise from the pro's on how i should turbo charge my amazing car. thanks for the help.

-Spec4Racing
Old 07-04-2006, 08:55 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Rennlist!

This subject has been beaten to death. Do a search. You'll find more than enough info. The short answer is you are better off getting a 951 than trying to convert a 944 n/a. What with the different plumbing, intake, intercooler, exhaust, clutch, brakes, aero, front fascia, front fenders, etc, etc...

I'm sure others will join in, it's just very early.

Regards

PS You're in southern Maine? I was vacationning in Ogunquit just last week with the wife and kids.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Spec4racing
Track Day

Default ALRIGHT MY BAD

OK I DID A SEARCH NO FLAME NO FLAME I DID A SEARCH FNG FNG ROOKIE ROOKIE I KNOW
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spec4racing
OK I DID A SEARCH NO FLAME NO FLAME I DID A SEARCH FNG FNG ROOKIE ROOKIE I KNOW

Hey don't feel bad. It's a legit question. I wasn't flaming you...don't worry about it. Get out and enjoy your P-Car!
Old 07-04-2006, 04:47 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

It has been done, but it's a TON of work and anything you do to the N/A engine will be inferior to the 951 engine (unless you do a toatal rebuild and lower compression). Most people just upgrade to the turbo since it already exists. Andy has turbo'd an N/A and it is certainly one badass car! Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the most 'easy' way to do it, find a wrecked 951 that was rear ended and just swap everything over.

This is one of those topics where even if you were to search, you would find the same bit of information over and over... "go buy a 951". I would say only one or two threads actually have any pertinent information in it.

Another option you might consider is swapping a 968 engine into your '89. 236hp and 225 torque. Also an easier swap i think, much less plumbing (intake, exhaust, intercooler..etc) to have to figure out. The hardest part will be finding a 968 engine..honestly though there seems to be one for sale every two or three months.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Spec,

Welcome to Rennlist...your cheapest Porsche mechanic...It all depends on how much $$$. There's a local mechanic that has one and it runs pretty good.

it also depends on how stock-like you want to put it. Why waste on stock parts in order to change them later to aftermarket ones? PM me just in case. I got a couple of parts lying around if your interested.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:07 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you want insane power or just a *bit* more?

Quick Reply: 944 N/A to turbo swap. please point me in the right direction