Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wow, raced a 911 turbo today

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:35 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by UK952
Maybe the 996 had a boost leak, a dodgy MAF or a bad batch of fuel just because they can go quick doesn't mean they always are in the best health.
Tony

Ok, so it took a limping 993tt to be close. I'll buy that.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:16 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOT BOOST?;
I think you're taking it a little bit too serious, man.
Just relax and take a deep breath.
I'm not in disagreement with you, but probably a little more tolerant.
I actually don't mind the kill and chest pounding stories. I would only say there is some rampant exaggeration and the "run with the crowd" attitude which follows those who seem popular.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are precious few threads about "look at what I built" or "look at this whatchamacallit I fabricated
First off I am not sure why I am going into this with you. I have always said arguing with idiots will make you one. You had better look around and stop being such an ***. I do believe I have spent the last 13 years on these boards doing just that. I do not recall seeing you on the original Porsche Fans site, the PorscheList or the original email list helping people figure out how to fix their cars. I don’t see you doing that here either . I also believe I spend a fair amount of time flying around for the PCA talking to people about how to fix or build their 911s not to mention the daily PCA board. But all that must have been an oversight on your part right? I am sure that the old timers that we are on this board are not seen for the endless hours we spend helping people like your self figure out how to change that door handle or why their car won’t start. Don’t make such general comments.

You being disgruntle about the kids on this board and mommy and daddy buying them this or that is a ridiculous crusade. You are going to have that every where you go. No offense but your retort sound more like one of jealousy regardless of how you veil it. Does it really bug you that some kid on the 996TT board got a new car because he graduated from College? Am I offended? No, I don't care, good for him. Should I be, no...I have no right to judge. What gives you the right to judge them? Nothing. Move on.

Want to do real race tuning? Fine - go get on with a pit crew somewhere and put that hobby to some real use. Let's see how good you really are. Saying you can tune a 20-year-old (or older) car is like saying "look at how much money I spent on my 8086 computer from 1987!" (Actually, tuning carburated engines takes a special knack that's missing from a lot of today's "tuners", but I digress. . .)
Ok, I have one 996TT that has won the one lap and runs in the speedvision cup, another that wins about every Canadian SCCA GT1 race and 5 local race cars we built and maintain in club. Not to metion at least 20 930s I know live on the tracks for various owners as occasional PCA/SCCA cars. Somehow that must not count? Assuming gets you no where. Your dime retort only makes it apparent you are not versed in this community.

Also your comment on tuning a 20 year old car...that is absorb and about as narrow minded as you get. This is where you obviously have no need to push the envelope and quietly sit in your recliner only hoping you could have done better while the rest of us tear knuckles, cut off fingers and push to make something better. There are a slew of 930 owners that would call you out on this one. Considering there are those that want the old cars but don't want to mess with the dated technology of the CIS, torsion bars etc. There is a reason I have a near bone stock 76 911 and two other different types of turbos. The 76 has the most character, the others offer something the other doesn’t and the 76 can’t. There is no reason they can not have both. Again, this is the most narrow minded arrogant statement I have heard in a long time.

All I'm saying is I'd love to see more threads about suspension settings, tire pressures, fuel loads, camber angles, air/fuel maps, head work and so on than the typical "look at what I blew my bank account on this week" crap that's so pervasive here.
You could have said so in the first place. If you are bored then do a search and ask me how I can get an additional 100HP out of a set of cams, head work and a fuel head mod on a 930. I have posted several thousand times on making better Porsches, AFRs, tuning, rebuilding, etc. You want to know why your car keeps popping through the carbs or why when you shut the key off it keeps running then ask. Don’t blast everyone in here expecting to get a warm welcome with 38 post sure to be 39 after this.

Originally Posted by Got Boost?
Actually, tuning carburated engines takes a special knack that's missing from a lot of today's "tuners.
I guess this depends on what you consider a tuner. I use to say I was until it meant that anyone with a fancy site could be one. I now have gone back to the term "engine builder" which can be proven by asking a tuner what size of Webber was on a 67S or if they can produce a picture of a 7441. In all honesty I dislike carbs, but unfortunately can and do still built them. Given the choice I will talk someone out of PMO and into EFI. It is a lost art playing with the old Zeinths but there is a reason for that. You really want to step it up tell me what need to be done to an S pump to run a 250HP 2.9. Most will not have a clue what the hell that means, or what the part bumber was for the servo pump on a sporto.

You really need to relax and be thankful you have a Porsche at all. Take the good and the bad no matter what it looks like. Some on these board have it easy, some do not but it is not your place to judge.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Porschephd, I actually didn't think he was pointing at you, as a bystander, and I can see good points from both sides. I would admit to being jealous of some kid who has been bought a Porsche by his parents for no good reason. I know mine is costing me a fortune as I'm continually spending to make it just a little bit better. If I was that kid I certainly wouldn't knock it back either. It's natural for kids to have pissing contests as well. Also it's like music, nothing sounds as good as from your own generation and most of what the 'kids of today' listen to is always rubbish according to anyone over 40 at any time. So let the kids brag and let the pro's build and do whatever it is that makes you happy. These things have always happened and will continue to do so. Just wait until these kids turn 40 and grumble about the next lot of spoilt teens, that'll be your only vengeance. lol.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:02 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Oh I think Mr disgruntle has riddled his post with numerous passive aggressive comments. That is fine, I will call them as I see them. I am not one to hide behind a keyboard either so it is my nature to hit things head on. Lets not forget this post has been completely hijacked by his out in left field post.

I couldn't agree with you more. I owned my first Porsche when I was 21. I opened this business when I was 25 and never looked back. I use to get a kick out of guys coming to drop their cars off clear across the country only to be greeted by someone half their age. Man, that was a while ago. No one is shocked anymore. I use to love it though.

As I said, if someone has an issue with what someone else has or how they got it one should consider other activities to waste energy on. That becomes an internal conflict, not an external one. Who cares how someone got what they have. It is none of my business and as I tell my two boys, worry about yourself. If you do you will find that is a full time job.

Now, lets get back to the original post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by PorschePhD

Oh I think Mr disgruntle has riddled his post with numerous passive aggressive comments. That is fine, I will call them as I see them. I am not one to hide behind a keyboard either so it is my nature to hit things head on. Lets not forget this post has been completely hijacked by his out in left field post.

I couldn't agree with you more. I owned my first Porsche when I was 21. I opened this business when I was 25 and never looked back. I use to get a kick out of guys coming to drop their cars off clear across the country only to be greeted by someone half their age. Man, that was a while ago. No one is shocked anymore. I use to love it though.

As I said, if someone has an issue with what someone else has or how they got it one should consider other activities to waste energy on. That becomes an internal conflict, not an external one. Who cares how someone got what they have. It is none of my business and as I tell my two boys, worry about yourself. If you do you will find that is a full time job.

Now, lets get back to the original post

When you were 25???

I was not aware that YOU worked on 356's.......

Old 07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

When were you 25? I haven’t been 25 for a long while now. You taking a poll?

The last 356 I rebuilt the carbs on was this spring. Not to mentioned, replaced the front suspension bushings, torsions, front pan, put a bladder in the tank and replaced the fuel lines...Oh and rebuilt the fuel pump since it is NLA.

Few 356s are left around and I service most of them around here. The guy that trained me has all but retired and the rest of the guys in town don't think would know what they are looking at.

Hey, I thought you had a pile of parts to put back on your car.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:02 AM
special tool
Banned

When were you 25? I haven’t been 25 for a long while now. You taking a poll?

The last 356 I rebuilt the carbs on was this spring. Not to mentioned, replaced the front suspension bushings, torsions, front pan, put a bladder in the tank and replaced the fuel lines...Oh and rebuilt the fuel pump since it is NLA.

Few 356s are left around and I service most of them around here. The guy that trained me has all but retired and the rest of the guys in town don't think would know what they are looking at.

Hey, I thought you had a pile of parts to put back on your car.
It was a joke insinuating that you are older than you are - you would have to be 65 now to have worked on a new 356.

My dad's convertible D was 2 years old when I was born.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes, I know. I was giving it back to ya...I was just ribbing ya a little. Good for the spirit.

You still have that pile of parts scattered everywhere?? You are starting to look like Karl's car posting pictures like that.

My dad's convertible D was 2 years old when I was born.
Ha, you are still older than me...Although regrettably not by very much.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 AM
special tool
Banned

Yes, I know. I was giving it back to ya...I was just ribbing ya a little. Good for the spirit.

You still have that pile of parts scattered everywhere?? You are starting to look like Karl's car posting pictures like that.

Ha, you are still older than me...Although regrettably not by very much.

Some precautionary measures in my daughter's obsessive quest to break 600 at the wheels with a 2.5 8 valve.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:28 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

LOL, Uh huh...Blame it on your daughter.

I had to add more because my youngest said it didn't tickle his tummy anymore
Old 07-05-2006, 11:34 AM
special tool
Banned

LOL, Uh huh...Blame it on your daughter.

I had to add more because my youngest said it didn't tickle his tummy anymore

What I want to know from you is how much YOUR 996 makes at the wheels - WITHOUT using parameters that limit liability for your customers.
I suspect tthe number might climb a weeeeee bit????
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by special tool
What I want to know from you is how much YOUR 996 makes at the wheels - WITHOUT using parameters that limit liability for your customers.
I suspect tthe number might climb a weeeeee bit????

I'm not telling!! I have only had one customer flip a car
Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebarton
got boost,,,,you may trade it in a heartbeat, but would you pay an 80 grand difference for the 996? hmmmmm food for thought.............
I would - get yourself behind the wheel of a stock TT and you might understand. Power is just one small part of the entire package.

For a 99% stock 951 (yours) to even come close to a TT 911, the 911 would have to literally drop anchor.

Enjoy what you have for what it is, a very quick, great looking car that handles like other vehicles costing 10x's as much.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FSAEracer03, I've got over 50 girls working for me, I never stroke my own dick...oh wait did I just do it again? lol. Man, I'm just bustin' *****. Seriously, if I rubbed you the wrong way, I apologize. I do love my car and I am proud of it. I moved out to Vegas with no job, no car, and filed for bankruptcy. I went for two years without a car and saved just to buy a black on black 944T. All of us here work our asses off. Otherwise we wouldn't have these cars.

Got Boost, I'd actually reply as I think you may have touched more than a few nerves here but PorshcePHD already addressed it and I agree with him. We all love our cars. Hell, I've probably spent more on my car than anyone on here. I'm not proud of that either. Had I known about these boards before I did it, I may have gone a different way. I'm very happy with my car though and that's what counts. I love it. Very hard to get 600 hp out of these cars reliably. You know what else, I like your car too and welcome you to the boards. Just ease up on everyone else. Your blanket of criticism my not go too well with others.

Quick Reply: wow, raced a 911 turbo today