Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz951
Got boost,

"I am waiting for someone to post that they went faster than a low flying jet."
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll second Porschdoc's comments, as I have seen some of Imagine Autos work firsthand. As much as I love 951's, its hard to stop the forward progress of technology. I like to think I am an "okay" driver on the track, but I had a pair of silver 997 Carrera's (non turbo'd cars) eat me alive the last time I was out. They were both freaky fast, and I can imagine how bad a prepped turbo would beat me, as Stephen gave me a total thrashing a few years ago. My car doesn't get embarassed by the two Z-06 drivers that are usually at the track with us, for comparison sake, altho I wouldn't pick a fight with either of them if it were a straight line contest.

The more experience I get, the more I realize its got a LOT more to do with the driver than it does the car, at least on the track. Anyone can point a car in a striaght line and mash the go fast pedal, there's no sport in that, in my opinion. I won't lecture anyone for their behavior on the streets, but if you kill an innocent person because of your stupidity, I'll be the first one to sign up for the lynch mob. With freedom comes responsibility, please choose well.

Regards,
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by blitz

Just for ****s and giggles, I actually race incoming commercial jets coming into the airport. In case anyone is interested, they come in between 155 and 165 depending on weight, weather, etc.

I can also hand a GT2 its *** even after I give them a head start. Now, I have yet to meet up with Scott Carpenter on the road. He's had his 993tt done by Imagine. I hear he's putting a bit more than my 600hp. Hope he weighs more than 2900lbs.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Originally posted by blitz

Just for ****s and giggles, I actually race incoming commercial jets coming into the airport. In case anyone is interested, they come in between 155 and 165 depending on weight, weather, etc.

I can also hand a GT2 its *** even after I give them a head start. Now, I have yet to meet up with Scott Carpenter on the road. He's had his 993tt done by Imagine. I hear he's putting a bit more than my 600hp. Hope he weighs more than 2900lbs.
Lol, and if I remember right from when you were trying to auction off your car, you have more in your car than a GT2 costs new

The last GT2 we shipped out the door, first weekend out the guy shaved 4 seconds off his lap time at road atlanta versus stock.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:12 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Y-e-a-u-p! a good bit more. Long story. Already told a bunch of times. Good news is I haven't put a dime into it in over five years. Bad news is I'm looking to upgrade. I swear it never ends, never...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche doc,
I dont know what you have done to your 951 but I assure you that it would be a lucky day for a 993tt that is stock to outrun my car off of a role. I know that the 911 turbo's have more potencial but I dont believe the numbers that are posted on the 996 boards either, not if they are at the wheels. If those numbers are right then I dont think they can be sustained because they would be at high boost and 911's dont like boost. In addition, with all these 500-600 RWHP 996's around done with bolt ons you should see them running in the 10's on a bad day especially with all wheel drive and the engine sitting over the rear wheels but in fact they are having a hard time getting into the 11's and when they do its at a big cost.
As far as tech. is concerned there is truth to that if your at the higher levels of competition but not generally speaking. Take for example big block chevy's or even air cooled VW bugs. They can be made to destroy any Porsche in straight line racing and they are ancient.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Y-e-a-u-p! a good bit more. Long story. Already told a bunch of times. Good news is I haven't put a dime into it in over five years. Bad news is I'm looking to upgrade. I swear it never ends, never...

Lol, yea, it doesn't matter where you are at, you always want more
Old 07-04-2006, 01:08 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

How's Scott's car doing anyway Doc. What hp is he up too?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:15 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that the 911 turbo's have more potencial but I dont believe the numbers that are posted on the 996 boards either, not if they are at the wheels. If those numbers are right then I dont think they can be sustained because they would be at high boost and 911's dont like boost. In addition, with all these 500-600 RWHP 996's around done with bolt ons you should see them running in the 10's on a bad day especially with all wheel drive and the engine sitting over the rear wheels but in fact they are having a hard time getting into the 11's and when they do its at a big cost.
With all due respect are you kidding me? Do a search on these boards and you will find many of us running 10s from 10 years ago in modified 930s. Sustained, in what regard. How about a daily driver that is used all year around. On my worst day my 996TT sees 10.8s. Only when some idiot pulls a 2.2 60 does it only see a 11.001. When we started playing with 930s years ago we knew numbers could be achieved. Look at the little 2.1 Turbo (Moby Dick), the 956 and the 962. All which create far more power than most cars today. We are talking 25 year old technology. So can we use technology to our advantage? Yes, with standalone and the capability to tune 7.8 we can do a lot. The old cars benefit from better materials and continued development. We are still one of the few that move the 930s forward. The 996TT is water cooled. It is not like a 996 in regards to the way it is built and will sustain large HP all the time. Sustained you question, in what regard. I have 50K on my car with the posted numbers below. When I say drive it every day I drive it rain snow or shine. Have we had it at the track, yep. Will I do that again, nope. Why?? I ripped the flywheel bolts out of the crank. Just ask anyone there. So to suggest that a car like mine does not or can not produce these numbers realistically or reliably simply suggest that perhaps you have not built one, tuned one or actually been in one of the big HP 996TTs.

The bottom line is there is someone always faster. Like I said, if I wanted more I have the ability to build it. I have been down that road before and 1000HP is not drivable as a daily driver. At least not the older you get. Hell, there was a time that people would suggest that a list of mods could be added up. No one dynoed anything. Now that we have 100K dynos people debate those numbers. It will never end. Many on here have ridden and seen these beast first hand. If you are ever in the area stop by. I will give you the same ride I gave Karl the first time he rode with me. I think the car was sideways more that it was straight.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2006, 01:16 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Lol, yea, it doesn't matter where you are at, you always want more

Says you! Ok, so the cab need about another 100
Old 07-04-2006, 07:57 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
With all due respect are you kidding me? Do a search on these boards and you will find many of us running 10s from 10 years ago in modified 930s. Sustained, in what regard. How about a daily driver that is used all year around. On my worst day my 996TT sees 10.8s. Only when some idiot pulls a 2.2 60 does it only see a 11.001. When we started playing with 930s years ago we knew numbers could be achieved. Look at the little 2.1 Turbo (Moby Dick), the 956 and the 962. All which create far more power than most cars today. We are talking 25 year old technology. So can we use technology to our advantage? Yes, with standalone and the capability to tune 7.8 we can do a lot. The old cars benefit from better materials and continued development. We are still one of the few that move the 930s forward. The 996TT is water cooled. It is not like a 996 in regards to the way it is built and will sustain large HP all the time. Sustained you question, in what regard. I have 50K on my car with the posted numbers below. When I say drive it every day I drive it rain snow or shine. Have we had it at the track, yep. Will I do that again, nope. Why?? I ripped the flywheel bolts out of the crank. Just ask anyone there. So to suggest that a car like mine does not or can not produce these numbers realistically or reliably simply suggest that perhaps you have not built one, tuned one or actually been in one of the big HP 996TTs.

The bottom line is there is someone always faster. Like I said, if I wanted more I have the ability to build it. I have been down that road before and 1000HP is not drivable as a daily driver. At least not the older you get. Hell, there was a time that people would suggest that a list of mods could be added up. No one dynoed anything. Now that we have 100K dynos people debate those numbers. It will never end. Many on here have ridden and seen these beast first hand. If you are ever in the area stop by. I will give you the same ride I gave Karl the first time he rode with me. I think the car was sideways more that it was straight.

Satisfactory.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no doubt a modded 996 will beat a 951, but i would not be at all suprised if there are not a number of modded 951's that can run very close to a standard (or below standard) 996T. I am fairly certain there are a few that will totally embarass a 996T.
Take the price of a new 997 turbo and spend it right on old 951 you will end up with a quicker and more unique car, it will still be 20 years old though. Few make that choice, but I am pleased that some do.
Tony
Old 07-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Default My $.02

** Quote stolen from somewhere **

Imposibilities are only achieved by those either too stupid or too rich to realize that the task at hand is indeed 'impossible.'

We spend money on love affairs and passions - some people like myself fall in love with a particular model, but isn't that the reason we buy Porsches? Every enthusiast I know is in love with their model quietly believing that theirs is superior to all others in one aspect or another. Just ask any 1972 911 2.8 RSR pilot.
Personally I am honored to either beat or be beaten by another Porsche in any setting.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:53 AM
blitz951
Pro

PorschePHD,
Yes, the old 911 turbo has set many records and was always the car to beat. They made major power, were light, had brilliant engineers from Porsche behind them and were made with one purpose in mind. All was proven at the track. The newer 911's, from what I have seen, in the shoot out and at the strip dont seem to have the same performance. I dont know if it is the weight of the car, all wheel drive...That's not me talking it is what has been shown. I am sure that you can find someone out there that has made a 10 second car, that has been done with cars far more inferior but I dont see it happening with bolt ons. I am not going to tell you your business but this is what I have seen. Lastly, I have seen some race 996tt in Europe and they are making far less than the numbers posted on the porsche discussion forums I think the reason why is to maintain a reliable car so they finish the race. That is what I mean by sustained.

Quick Reply: wow, raced a 911 turbo today