Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Could someone with a clean '89 951 check something for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:45 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I have a great plater, near by here, that did a great job on my parts. He does, both rack and barrel plating and did a awsome job on my stuff. I was amayzed how it came out
I did work my *** off on every nut, bolt, washer, bracket and heat shield etc.. All were abrasive wheeled, then polished, and then given to the plater. He is located in Mountain View, Ca. The company is 4 D Metal Finishing.
He was cheaper then most, and was very trust worthy. No affiliation

Cad plating is still avail, in places like Texas, but the color will not look nearly as nice or stock as the yellow chromate zinc. The general rule, from what I understand is, that the darker the plating the better the resistance to corrosion. ( mind you, this is for Electroplating, not Hot Dipped which is the very best protection ) So i.e. isliver yellow olive drab then black oxide..... would be from worst to best

Here is a shot of what I did last summer. Sadly, it's still in the boxes and I still have another round to go I am thinking I should have it all wrapped up by the next millennium
the first is Plated Yellow chromate the second is the Jet Hot
Regards
Ed
Wow, very nice Ed. I didn't think I could get the steering liknage done because of the plastic bushings. How much did the Zinc plating cost you? The shop here wants $200 for everything- I think that's a little much. Thanks for the pics!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:51 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
Eddie you are the man!

Did your plater bake the critical stuff like the fuel rail to reduce/prevent hydrogen embrittlement? If you don't mind PM me his contact infor and what he charged you.

thanks,
James
James, could you expand on that a little? I want to make sure my fuel rail is done properly.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin,

you should ask your plater about baking your parts. Tell him you have concerns over hydrogen embrittlement. If he has no idea what you are talking about, find another plater. All of the good electro platers offer baking services. For mild steel non stress parts like the heat shields there is little concern. I would have concern over your fuel rail because if they crack/fail you have a potential fire on your hands.

This article explains in some detail what I am talking about. They advocate mechanical plating over electroplating, but IMHO electroplating is fine as long as you bake the parts.

Some say there are no concerns with this, but I prefer to err on side of caution.

http://www.mechanicalplating.com/hydrogen.htm
Old 06-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cpt_koolbeenz
WOW Eddie, you ARE crazy...
Truer words were never spoken

Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
Eddie you are the man!

Did your plater bake the critical stuff like the fuel rail to reduce/prevent hydrogen embrittlement? If you don't mind PM me his contact infor and what he charged you.

thanks,
James
Yes I am the man for the straight jacket
As for the fuel rail, not that I am aware of... He old me not to do spring clips ie for the injectors as he felt that the tention may be lost ... I thought that embrittlement comes from exposure to hi temps... ? I had bought special blue color screws from Mc Master Carr that had a coating on them to prevent that embrittlement ( I used them for the turbo mounting bolts ) ..I will send you a PM

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
So Ed - What museum has offered you space to display your Silber Rosa timepiece? You aren't really going to drive it are you? So when is the launch date? JK - Those parts look great. Now when you go on runs you'll need the clear plexiglass hood so we can all oggle your fine work
Ya know actually Steve I am gonna run the **** outta this car when I finally get it together ...But GOD only knows when that will be

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Wow, very nice Ed. I didn't think I could get the steering liknage done because of the plastic bushings. How much did the Zinc plating cost you? The shop here wants $200 for everything- I think that's a little much. Thanks for the pics!
He was going to do it for under a hundred, but then saw I added a few pieces for a friend and the level of detail I was looking for and we called it a deal at 100 even ... I
am going back for another round hopefully in the next two weeks ( my son is away for the next two weeks in Texas so I may get a chance to finally conclude this fiasco, this Car Monument thing I got into a 1 1/2 ago
He lost only 1 - 4 mm screw in all the **** I gave him !! One throttle body screw
I will dig up his # and post it ...His name is Pete. You know there are some people you get the feeling that you can trust them right from the minute you meet them ? That's this guy ....
I had spoken to another place here but I was really leery ...
He had sorta reminded me of Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies .. He was a bit cheaper too ..
but I decided to go with Pete and I am glad I did
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 06-20-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Here is the Phone #

4 D metal Finishers
located in
Sunnyvale, CA
Phone #
408 730 5722
Hope that helps
Reagrds
Ed
Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ed! I have a couple more questions on your headlight linkage (I accidentally said steering linkage above)

I thought that the prepping process included dipping in a hot bath. Did anything special have to be done to protect the plastic bushings? Did you get the bushing in the black bracket off of the ball at the end opposite the motor off without breaking it? I'm afraid to try before I know if I can get another one or not.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed! I have a couple more questions on your headlight linkage (I accidentally said steering linkage above)
Yea, I didn't understand that ?? I said I did the knuckel shields but that was it ...

I thought that the prepping process included dipping in a hot bath. Did anything special have to be done to protect the plastic bushings? Did you get the bushing in the black bracket off of the ball at the end opposite the motor off without breaking it? I'm afraid to try before I know if I can get another one or not.
Yes. It's been so long, I don't remember how I did it but I know I didn't want to scratch the ball and didn't by removing it.
This hot bath, I think, is only 130 degrees or less
The plastic is fine, although I have put together nothing and it been almost a year
Regards
Ed
Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

For those of you still interested...

I talked to the plater. They do both rack and barrel, and also baking. It's $88 for the barrel lot, $110 for the rack lot. Then baking would be $35 for each lot. He did say that Hydrogen embrittlement is only a concern on heat treated parts. I think I'll spend the extra $70 and get everything done just to be safe. The brake booster heat shield would be $110 to do clear zinc, on no charge if it's in with the batch, so I think I'll just do it yellow. It sounds like 4D Metal Finishers would be cheaper, but I really don't want to risk UPS losing my parts.

The parts get up to 180 degrees, but he said that he does likages with plastic bushings all the time, so I'm going to give it a try. I guess it can get that hot in the engine bay. I was surprised to find that new ones are still available from Porsche if it does get messed up. Only $175
Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Boy
That's a lot of money !!
I think it would be less than 1/2 that cost, at the guy I used.
If you are worried about the shipping you could always go fed ex w/ insurance
I think you would be nuts to spend that money for the brake booster...
I think you should jump on someone else's order, who will be doing a jet hot jobr and get it jet hot coated. It looks great ...
Although it will look pretty cool being gold ( albeit not stock )
regards
Ed
Old 06-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Eddie/Kevin,

either of you guys have a part number for the plastic cable holders that retain the alternator wiring harness to the bracket/shield that runs above the balance shaft housing next to the turbo.

these are the ones I need. I can't find them in PET.

thanks,
James
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

That's so funny
I called Carlsen Porsche here and went back and forth with them
Then Sunset and never got it completely nailed down on a part #
I ordered some for Tom M'Guinn but I believe he said they were the wrong size OR that they were NOT for the engine harness but MAYBE the ones you are looking for ?
Let me check my order sheet ( I have to dig it up as it was 6 months ago) and get back to you
I was looking for the tan colored ones ( I am color blind, so my color may be off) that hold down the wire harness over the middle of te engine.
Here is a shot ( look at he very bottom of the pic)

Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Eddie,
those are the same ones I am looking for!
Let me know what you find out!

I appreciate the effort.

James
Old 06-21-2006, 03:32 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Guys,

Since those clips are pretty well hidden, I'm planning on replacing them with "Fir Tree Mounts" and cable ties. Look at page 26 here-> http://www.hellermann.tyton.com/medi..._fasteners.pdf
That way of you need to remove them you just cut the cable tie and replace it. No, it's not original but I don't think it will be too offensive.

Ed- I think I'll call your plater and see what he says. We ship a lot of stuff from work and things rarely get lost, but it still makes me nervous. I could insure everything, but if all those parts and hardware were lost, how would I replace them? I think it would just be overwhelming finding everything. Maybe some day I'll do the jet-hot on the heat shields, but since yellow was used until '88, I don't think it will bother me.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

You guys are insane... It's cool to have things all 'stock' or be faithful to the factory production, but it's such a less headache to ditch 90% of that stuff, and just contain the heat in the turbo/exhaust instead.
Ahmet
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahmet
You guys are insane... It's cool to have things all 'stock' or be faithful to the factory production, but it's such a less headache to ditch 90% of that stuff, and just contain the heat in the turbo/exhaust instead.
Ahmet
Insane you say .....
Wait! What's my name again...... Crazy Eddie Well I rest my case !
James/ Kevin
Here is what I found:
The part numbers are two of these 3 below but as I recall I thought Tom told me one The yellow clip was to big ??? ( the oil sending clip )
I had to dig up the paper work which is in boxes because I was putting a floor in my family rm ... Aahh that was suppose to start last summer
If Tom M'Guinn could add his input to this it would be great as these were for him
It's been so long, I forgot what the hell I ordered, and where the hell I even put the stuff!! Call Sunset they are the best ( Knowledge and cheapest by far for dealer parts ) Speak to Bob or Phil 800 346-0182

999-651-224-40 plastic Ti........

944-607-127-00 Sender BRA....

321-971-847-A Plastic CL....

Regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Could someone with a clean '89 951 check something for me?