Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aarrgh!!!!Major PITA!!!! F*cken SS fuel lines (NOW working!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aarrgh!!!!Major PITA!!!! F*cken SS fuel lines (NOW working!)

I'm trying to install the SS fuel lines from LR. I cannot for the life of me get the lines to slide into the fittings because the SS braid ends are frayed:

I have removed the red female connector and tried slipping that over the line: won't go in. I have tried forcing the line onto the male fitting with the female connector in place as in the second picture: won't go in. I have tried swearing at the fittings: does not seem to work and believe you me, french-canadian is a great language for swearing! I know there must be an intelligent way of doing this, but right now I just want to hit a brick wall I'm so frustated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 951Porschiste; 06-09-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make the best cut, you need a fine cutting disc. Tape up the ends, then cut WITH the tape on. Remove the tape carefully. You can then slide the connector over it and start turning it to get it to seat. You may also get a small screwdriver, to help push in any strands that try to bind up.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, ski's got it. I've found that paper masking tape a few layers thick works really well with a cutting wheel. Failing that, a large cable/hose cutter will work just as well. Use some asembly lube on the line to get it into the fitting. The first few you do will be very difficult, once you get the process down its a breeze. I recommend wearing gloves until you get it down as the frayed steel will cause nasty little puncture wounds on your fingers.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:02 PM
jacklet
Racer

wrap area tightly with tape use a fine tooth hacksaw or cutting wheel trim any fray ends with a pair of diagonals then remove tape and install sometimes lube helps i don 't use it, start the coupling slowly then twist it on, when it stops mark the hose now install the barbed end and tighten the previous mark you made will tell you if the hose is trying to back out-def wear gloves the little frayed ends hurt
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, all my fingers are now bleeding, even though I wore gloves. This is damn near impossible. I measured the inside diameter of the female fitting and the outside diameter of the SS braided line. The SS braided line is THICKER, damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The one thing that seems to work is to remove about the outside SS braid and keep about a 5 mm length of the inside rubber line protruding out. That rubber line barely fits inside the female fitting. Once I get that inside the female fitting then I screw in the male fitting. problem is it just does not feel very secure.
I am at my wits ends here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
jacklet
Racer

it should be -6 line i believe, hmmmm you did take the fitting off the rail and disassemble right? it seems as thogh your ends are flaring out-what are you cutting it with i've done smaller line than that it sucks but you can usually get it
Old 06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jacklet
it should be -6 line i believe, hmmmm you did take the fitting off the rail and disassemble right? it seems as thogh your ends are flaring out-what are you cutting it with i've done smaller line than that it sucks but you can usually get it
Yes, I did remove the fitting from the rail. I've been using a Dremel cutting disc set at high speed to cut the line. As soon as I remove the tape the braid begins to fray. So I decided to leave the tape in place to minimize fraying.

I'm beginning to wonder if I received the incorrect sized line and/or fittings.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Sounds like those lines should have been pre-assembled for you..
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Andre, working with these hoses & fittings IS a pain. Specially if you've never done it before. I plumbed my Cherokee with them (complete F.I. fuel system, auto trans and aux. cooler, ps pump and aux cooler etc. etc.) & have helped a couple of friends do their hot rod projects. The first few fittings ARE going to be a pain until you get the hang of it.

What Bret, Paul & jacklet described above is right on. And the hose diameter IS larger than the female fitting, you have to squeeze the hose into the female fitting, push the fitting about 6" back into the hose, force the hose into the barb and then slide the fitting forwad and screw it in. It does take some force.
As far as cutting the hose.....as mentioned above the large cable cutters work very well (you still need to be careful -fraying is normal). Not dykes or lineman pliers (aka klein's). They look like a small chain cutter. Home Depot sells them for like $15.

AND PLEASE- when you get it all installed, pressurize the system before taking the car out for a spin or starting it. Chances are you might get a couple of leaks.

Good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

don't take the tape off before you put the red fitting on the braided line. you could even leave it on there if it doesn't stick out of the fitting, that would look bad. Once it is on slide the hose over the barb and then start the tug-o-war to screw the fitting onto the barb. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:41 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Not necessarily the same manufacturer of hose/fittings but it is the same type (not Teflon lined).

>>LINK TO HOSE ASSEMBLY<<
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

951Boost,

Thanks for the link. I finally called Lindsey Racing and spoke to Dave. He basically gave me the same instructions and I was finally able to fit one!
Afew pointers that I would suggest:
1. make sure that your cut is very straight and true
2. Do keep the tape on the cut end of the SS braided line
3. Do use a lubricant
4. Withe female connector in a bench vise, slowly push and twist the line in as far as you can.

Now that I have done one, I'll start measuring the lengths that I need and I'll assemble the other couplings tomorrow. I'll also take pictures and post them.

Again, thanks to all those who responded. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:37 PM
jacklet
Racer

once you get one the others seem easier-have fun
Old 06-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

congrats!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:07 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 107 Posts

If you don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks, Koul Tools has a kit for installing ss fuel lines into AN fittings. I just finished this project witht the Koul kit and it was very easy.
The kit is $75 so its not exactly cheap and i'm sure its unnecessary once you have the technique down but it did make the job very easy and good piece of mind knowing the fittings are installed correctly.

You can find it at Pegasus, link below.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3330

Edit:
Opps...sounds like you have it down, and saved yourself $75.
Nice job.

Quick Reply: Aarrgh!!!!Major PITA!!!! F*cken SS fuel lines (NOW working!)