Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Megasquirt 2 Success and fueling with stock wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brendan, the VB921 circuits are really easy to wire up. There's really no reason to use EDIS parts, except maybe the coils. I'll be running MS1 with the -Extra firmware when I get things together (soon!). I have a set of Chevy LS2 Coil-Near-Plugs for spark duty. They have built in drivers (so you don't even need VB921s anymore) with current limiting and they're about $20/ea off of ebay, almost new condition.

For the trigger I'll be using one of these four:

1. stock speed/ref sensors feeding a hardware divider to get a 44-1 signal.
2. " / " feeding the router board (hopefully not waiting that long).
3. stock speed sensor, single tooth cam sensor plus router for sequential spark AND injection!
4. n-1 cam wheel with custom sensor

I'd like to use the stock sensors to keep things easy and stealthy. I'll go to the unused cam end if necessary. I still haven't had the opportunity to test the hardware divider Dark Lighting designed, I might be able to get to that soon. Brian also has a proven hardware divider lined up that I could try to get my hands on. Otherwise I'll be custom mounting my own wheel/sensor off the cam.

Until they port all the nifty features from the -Extra code over to MS2, I'll stick to MS1. Why do you guys like MS2 so much? Just for the higher res injection? MS2 definitely has a LOT of potential, but for now it doesn't support the features I use most.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 AM
IanS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two reasons for my interest in MS2 vs Extra. One is that its fast enough to decode our speed sensor without a hardware divider. The other is that its the focus of active development, so I'm expecting a lot of the Extra features and some new features(ie: Tau enrichment) to be on MS2 soon.

That being said, I'll probably go with whatever can decode my stock sensors first. So if someone gets a hardware divider working, I'll go with MS1/Extra, and if they get second wheel decoding working in MS2, I'll go with that.

Do the LS2 coils work with the stock ignition wires?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

No, the LS2 coils have an odd terminal. The ones I bought came with the stock wires that would work fine, and I also got a set of 8mm "power" wires for $40 new. They're only 6-8" long.

I agree, either the hardware divider w/extra or the extra features ported to MS2 will make either one an obvious choice. And I've discussed the X-Tau enrichment concept with Efahl, cool stuff!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Great info guys. The MS site is great, but the answers to my Qs sometimes comes in in Binary, and I can't read it. If you get my meaning.

As I mentioned, I have a flywheel design and toothed wheel pressed oin of my own custom design, so it has the 36-1, which if works, is few enough teeth that MS1 shouldn't be labored. Right?

Also, and I never seem to get this in my head - When you run standalone MS1 or MS2, does the injection also then run from the toothed wheel?

Dan - you say that I can ditch EDIS and run LS coils straight from MS1+extra? This is not possible with MS2 yet? The key here is the wheel decoding software? Or is it already set to runf rom 36-1?

I would love to get this thing going easily, and without the complexity of adding EDIS.

Great stuff. Haven't been on the ms beaord recently, but I need ot get back in the game.

If I can get a realistic base map, I could probably safely start the new engine, but I need to get close, and quickly, as it needs to be broken in.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
IanS
Instructor

MS1/Extra will run up to 6 coils directly, using the wheel decoder software.
Take a look at this page: http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/ex...tup-wheel.html

MS2 can only run wasted spark with EDIS/DIS, or another wasted spark system. However, since you have a 36-1 wheel, you could run MS2 with EDIS if you wanted to.

Justin, I'm quite sure MS1 can deal with a divide by 2(66-1) tooth setup as well as a 44 tooth one, since it can handle 60-2. Is it possible that would be an easier circuit to make? Seems like it would be.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:45 PM
IanS
Instructor

Check out this 45 cent solution:
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=124194#124194

You wire it up between the VR conditioner and MS. Anyone with a MS1 want to give this a try?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
AlexE
Pro

Originally Posted by BrendanC
..........I would love to get this thing going easily, and without the complexity of adding EDIS. ......
heheheh EDIS is as easy as it gets.

2 wires feed megasquirt. PIP and SAW.. THe remaing wires feed
1. The coil
2. Pickup sensor
3. Power and ground
4. Tach.

If you have a 36-1 wheel..... all you need.

Ebay special (EDIS module+Coil Pack+Pickup sensor)

I am running MS2 and slowly dialing in my timing. She is running stronger and stronger everyday. We have an 11 psi map 95% completed and now moving on to the 15 psi map.

As JustinL mentioned the fuel maps that MS calculates are approximately 10% richer (obviously built in as a safety margin).

The beauty is that you can get the car running using EDIS and then when the router boarder is figured out swapit over to stock sensors. Although I will probably get it running stock sensors as well I will probably switch back to EDIS to maintain wasted spark.......
Old 06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Ok, you guys have to post up your .msq's pronto, I'm curious to see what they look like.

And IanS, that chip is really similar to the one that John (DarkL) suggested we try (CD4018B).
Originally Posted by DarkLightning
How about using this?

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4018b.pdf + a transistor to reverse the signal (low to high, high to low).

Build a divide by three circuit and end up with a 44-1 wheel with $5 in parts. It'll cost more in shipping than hardware.
He bought a handful, I got one and I think Brian has one too. I promise I'll test it out as soon as I get the friggin clutch job on the bimmer done.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by IanS
Justin, I'm quite sure MS1 can deal with a divide by 2(66-1) tooth setup as well as a 44 tooth one, since it can handle 60-2. Is it possible that would be an easier circuit to make? Seems like it would be.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. If MS1 can handle 66 teeth at 7000 RPM (7700 Hz) and then use the dual wheel decoder, you should be able to drive the coil and stock distributor. If not then divide by 3 and get 5133.3 hz.

For me with the MS2, I'm going to keep with just fueling until the router board and knock sensing get sorted out. I'll probably make the jump to full stand alone next winter if the hardware is ready by then. For now KLR can continue to do it's job controlling knock. There are plenty of things like X-tau to keep me busy sorting out fuel.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:27 PM
AlexE
Pro

Originally Posted by DanG
Ok, you guys have to post up your .msq's pronto, I'm curious to see what they look like.

And IanS, that chip is really similar to the one that John (DarkL) suggested we try (CD4018B).He bought a handful, I got one and I think Brian has one too. I promise I'll test it out as soon as I get the friggin clutch job on the bimmer done.
I have some of those chips as well. There is another chip you require as well. I cant remember the number of hand. These chips can be found at your local electronics stores.

I had this set up on a breadboard with the stock sensor and a drill with a makeshift trigger wheel on it and my handy dandy oscilloscope covering the kitchen table. Lets just say the wife has relegated that stuff to the garage until next winter.

But I have been concentrated on getting my car tuned for now.

.... dynos to follow.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IanS
MS1/Extra will run up to 6 coils directly, using the wheel decoder software.
Take a look at this page: http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/ex...tup-wheel.html

MS2 can only run wasted spark with EDIS/DIS, or another wasted spark system. However, since you have a 36-1 wheel, you could run MS2 with EDIS if you wanted to.

Thanks. I do have the EDIS stuff. I am concerned about the rev limit issues with the EDIS on V8s. 6000rpm, and 6500rpm issues with some.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:09 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Does MS2 have any on/off outputs related to RPM?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys have an email list going for the 944 MS projects? If so I want in.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

x2 on the list
Old 06-21-2006, 01:15 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

heheh If there's a list.... I'm not on it either. I think most of the communication has been going on over the forums. It also helps that Alex and I are from the same town. I think the forums work well so everyone can learn whether they actively post or not.

Justin

Quick Reply: Megasquirt 2 Success and fueling with stock wiring