Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I was invited to try a new Vitesse turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:32 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D944tech
My bad. Still 1 bar @ 3000 rpm is a great number for a 951 engine indeed.
for sure; this definately sounds like a hell of a turbo
Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Yea looking forward to reading about this Turbo. However in about one week I will be in Germany, but Still cool stuff!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

i wanna know when it's gonna be generally available! starting to save lol.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lart! You *******! Youve ruined yet another pair of rocks trousers
Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Anders - just a little levity, Luis and I are friends.

Chris - do you mean next turbo or current?
Which ever - I should just come down and shoot the bull some time!! If you have something interesting to dyno that would give me a reason to drive over!

Chris
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So is the new turbo flows making the big difference or the big valves/head etc.?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

I will be testing John's newest design shortly. There is evidently much custom work to make this a bolt-on unit.
As usual, the priority is spoolup - I will initially shoot for well under 3000 rpm for 1 bar and over 500 HP at the wheels.
This is with big valves, SFR headers, big cam, etc.
I can't say anything particular about the specs, other than that it is a sigificant departure from the current stage 3.

If I ever get a rainy day here, I will dyno the current stage 3 with the goal of breaking 600 at the wheels - all of those ducks are now in a row.
Even if it is 600, however, I will not have 1 bar until 3450 rpm in 4th gear - we hope that the new turbo will increase the powerband by 500+ rpm and RETAIN the horsepower.

Have a nice day.
Ok, since no one else is stepping up, I call bull****. You are basically saying you'll make twice as much power as stock with nearly the same spool up as stock. This isn't physically possible. I wish my friend let me measure his stage 3, because I fail to see where this turbo is large enough to push 600+rwhp. That's roughly 60+lb/min of air. This turbo would have to be comparable to a gt35r in power output, and there's no way one of those would ever be that responsive on a 2.5l. I can understand 1 bar by ~3.8k rpm or a little higher. If you were spooling a 60#/min turbo that quickly it would surge badly on a 2.5l. There are plenty of dynos on the net of larger engines producing similar power numbers with more lag than you are describing.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

I will be testing John's newest design shortly. There is evidently much custom work to make this a bolt-on unit.
As usual, the priority is spoolup - I will initially shoot for well under 3000 rpm for 1 bar and over 500 HP at the wheels.
This is with big valves, SFR headers, big cam, etc.
I can't say anything particular about the specs, other than that it is a sigificant departure from the current stage 3.

If I ever get a rainy day here, I will dyno the current stage 3 with the goal of breaking 600 at the wheels - all of those ducks are now in a row.
Even if it is 600, however, I will not have 1 bar until 3450 rpm in 4th gear - we hope that the new turbo will increase the powerband by 500+ rpm and RETAIN the horsepower.

Have a nice day.
So wait.

You are going to have roughly the same spool-up as a factory turbocharger and push 600whp on an engine that has very little RPM band? Something does not add up.

You do realize that the turbocharger will have to reach a much higher shaft RPM to produce 1 BAR with the larger valves and camshaft, assuming the engine's VE is even increased at such a low operational speed. I doubt you can substantiate enough exhaust energy to produce 1 BAR at 3000 RPM with a turbo that pushes 500whp efficiently.

How about you post the specifications of the turbocharger to begin with.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by toddk911
So is the new turbo flows making the big difference or the big valves/head etc.?
Unless the 944 has some rediculously undersized valves that create supersonic fluid movement at the valve you aren't going to gain much in terms of low end CFM. Spreading the cams duration out and maximizing valve moments will net a gain in engine VE but not at 2500 RPM. You are hard pressed to achieve higher engine VE's at such low RPMs by altering stock flows unless they are overly restrictive or highly turbulent.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
How about you post the specifications of the turbocharger to begin with.
not gonna happen

I guess a dyno chart will just have to do, as always
Old 05-01-2006, 08:55 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only answers you are going to get is insults or my tuner is the best and the whole world beggs for his services but he declines because he loves 951's so much. He could not break 400 whp ( yeah could not turn up the boost) on pump (and e-coast pump is much better than w-coast) but posted a 500 + wheeldyno sheet with the boost turned to max (not disclosed) on enhanced racegas aka a dyno queen run. Whoever believes that those dyno settings will survive sustained loads in the real world or god forbid on a racetrack are incredible naive.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pole position
The only answers you are going to get is insults or my tuner is the best and the whole world beggs for his services but he declines because he loves 951's so much. He could not break 400 whp ( yeah could not turn up the boost) on pump (and e-coast pump is much better than w-coast) but posted a 500 + wheeldyno sheet with the boost turned to max (not disclosed) on enhanced racegas aka a dyno queen run. Whoever believes that those dyno settings will survive sustained loads in the real world or god forbid on a racetrack are incredible naive.
lets start the **** talking when you post a 500rwhp 951 dyno chart
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the dyno will show the power and the relative spoolup improvement.

We should not compare the latest technology, leading edge turbos specifically designed for the 951 to a turbo designed in the 60's for a diesel truck - which has very high static compression. Take it from me, I know diesel turbos.....
Old 05-01-2006, 09:22 PM
IanS
Instructor

I assume it'll end up being a modified GT30 series, based on the fact that its a pain to fit and they spool quickly. I would think a standard GT3071R would hit 1bar around 3000rpm, so if john's turbo mods are really hot stuff, maybe he can get a 3076 or even a 3040 to spool by 3k?

Admittedly, it sounds like a lofty goal, but I'd rather see someone aim high and come close than strive to be mediocre.

Quick Reply: I was invited to try a new Vitesse turbo.....