Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

300rwhp, 12.9 1/4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never once said I wouldn't be winning. I consider me finishing the race while you're broke at the starting line winning, wouldn't you? That's fine though, I guess nobody can read a post and not filter it through their own prejudices and narrow minded views =]

That's fine that they have raced alot, but so have I. Just because of rennlist lore and personal experience has taught you that drag racing is a sport where alot of things break (wait a minute, all racing is) doesn't mean it can't be done. I don't see where your decision that these cars "weren't made for drag racing" truly decides what the car can or can not do. Obviously it wasn't built with drag racing solely in mind, or at least more in mind like maybe a mustang, or t/a. Which is why you work your way around it and make special allowances for it.
The theories behind drag racing a car remain the same no matter what you drive, however. Why not rebuild the tranny with strengthened gears and buy a 6 puck clutch? Hell, throw a carbon fiber driveshaft on there too while you're at it. It's not like every tranny people race on were made for that type of thing...
Maybe it's just me, but I get tired of how people say 951's just weren't made to drag race. How many cars truly are made for it that do?

Anyhow, what exactly is your point in all this? That the 951 tranny is weak and can not handle very much power or it just can't handle that much power while drag racing? What driveline components do the people on here have that are running 400+ hp? I'm going to stick by my decision that the people that break them, most often launched really hard which would break most any car making good power not prepared to handle it through careful planning and compensation for weak drivetrain parts. It can be done, on any car.

Point in case, have you ever seen a fast yugo? Or a fast honda? Those aren't made for drag racing either.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

951_RS, I'll second you on that one.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I don't drag the 951 much (but I still do it..read above..I said I let it go off the line at 5000rpm) but do do it for fun.

I really am not going to take the time and learn to launch the 951 hard. No real reason. IF I want to go fast, I will do it differently.

Keep in mind, when I drag racing motorcycles a lot, I would launch the GSXR1100 at nearly 9000rpm. When I get agressive off the line, I want to be agressive. Now I am an old man and am more responsible. I don;t really race much anymore. Something about high speeds, a motorcycle, (or a car) and a 20 month old daughter that just don't mix.

-Dana
Old 04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Keep in mind, when I drag racing motorcycles a lot, I would launch the GSXR1100 at nearly 9000rpm"

WOW!! I know it is a bike but that is still wild to see something launched at 9K rpm

What dp the drag bikes usually launch at?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Raceboy: cool info!! Doing that how much boost can you build on launch?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:40 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951_RS
I never once said I wouldn't be winning. I consider me finishing the race while you're broke at the starting line winning, wouldn't you? That's fine though, I guess nobody can read a post and not filter it through their own prejudices and narrow minded views =]

That's fine that they have raced alot, but so have I. Just because of rennlist lore and personal experience has taught you that drag racing is a sport where alot of things break (wait a minute, all racing is) doesn't mean it can't be done. I don't see where your decision that these cars "weren't made for drag racing" truly decides what the car can or can not do. Obviously it wasn't built with drag racing solely in mind, or at least more in mind like maybe a mustang, or t/a.
You obviously havent raced much, seeing as how you are questioning our knowledge of broken parts, from people who have broken the things you are questioning. Ive witnessed snapped axles, seen the aftermath of blown transaxles. I know it happens, even when you just roll out and get on the gas, stuff will still break getting into second gear. Why in gods name would you want to go race if you arent giving it all you've got? Talk about a waste of money, besides, you're STILL going to break stuff.

Which is why you work your way around it and make special allowances for it.
The theories behind drag racing a car remain the same no matter what you drive, however. Why not rebuild the tranny with strengthened gears and buy a 6 puck clutch? Hell, throw a carbon fiber driveshaft on there too while you're at it. It's not like every tranny people race on were made for that type of thing...
Maybe it's just me, but I get tired of how people say 951's just weren't made to drag race. How many cars truly are made for it that do?
You have fun with that carbon driveshaft, let me know how that goes. Any serious drag racer skips on the carbon for stress points, like driveshafts. Because of inherent weaknesses. You claim to know what you're talking about yet you dont seem to understand for the weekend racer it's cheaper to snap a CV than to replace a clutch or a $6000 gearbox. The big guys can do this because they have a blank check to win. Tons of cars are MADE for straight line performance, look at most things American.

Anyhow, what exactly is your point in all this? That the 951 tranny is weak and can not handle very much power or it just can't handle that much power while drag racing? What driveline components do the people on here have that are running 400+ hp? I'm going to stick by my decision that the people that break them, most often launched really hard which would break most any car making good power not prepared to handle it through careful planning and compensation for weak drivetrain parts. It can be done, on any car.
Sure strengthen the gearbox, get a heavy clutch and pressure plate, fix driveline components (oh wait, been there, done that). Will any car break? Sure, but in the 951 it's the difference between 30 hard launches, and say 100 in an American car. If you've got the budget GO FOR IT, but chances are you'll realize it'd be cheaper and more effective to change the 951 into something it's not. Or just buy an Fbody.

Point in case, have you ever seen a fast yugo? Or a fast honda? Those aren't made for drag racing either.
Yeah, and there is a dodge omni with a 454 around here that comes to the strip, what's your point? Enough money and frabrication will make anything fast.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:46 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MPD47
... seen the aftermath of blown transaxles. I know it happens, even when you just roll out and get on the gas, stuff will still break getting into second gear...

...it's cheaper to snap a CV than to replace a clutch or a $6000 gearbox.

...just buy an Fbody.
I couldn't have said it better myself, except the Fbody part, lol I kinda skipped that step and went for a slow heavy Japaneese car with a carbon driveshaft (that will probably NEVER see the strip, hmm )
Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by toddk911
"Keep in mind, when I drag racing motorcycles a lot, I would launch the GSXR1100 at nearly 9000rpm"

WOW!! I know it is a bike but that is still wild to see something launched at 9K rpm

What dp the drag bikes usually launch at?
By drag bike are you talking ProStock or the likes or street bike?

I was pretty agressive at 9K. But it seems almost counter-intuative, but launching at the higher revs was actually more controllable than at lower revs. The reason is that with the higher revs there was more ability to slip the clutch and get off smoother. Also, the bike would spin the tire instead of wheelieing with the high revs.

Sometimes, what works isn't what one would think would work.

I think actually letting the 951 go at 5000rpm is pretty easy on it. I get tire spin and when the tires spin, there isn't much shock to the driveline. It kinda hooks up gradually.

The biggest shock seems to be goping into 2nd gear. I can get the tail to kick out real well going into 2nd.

-Dana
Old 04-24-2006, 05:23 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

You obviously havent raced much, seeing as how you are questioning our knowledge of broken parts, from people who have broken the things you are questioning. Ive witnessed snapped axles, seen the aftermath of blown transaxles. I know it happens, even when you just roll out and get on the gas, stuff will still break getting into second gear. Why in gods name would you want to go race if you arent giving it all you've got? Talk about a waste of money, besides, you're STILL going to break stuff.
You're right, I must not race much since I question your knowledge of broken parts... How that makes sense I will never know. Yes things break, hence why I said they did. And I still don't see where in my post I said I wouldn't give it all I've got... So let's not put words in each other's mouth...

You have fun with that carbon driveshaft, let me know how that goes. Any serious drag racer skips on the carbon for stress points, like driveshafts. Because of inherent weaknesses. You claim to know what you're talking about yet you dont seem to understand for the weekend racer it's cheaper to snap a CV than to replace a clutch or a $6000 gearbox. The big guys can do this because they have a blank check to win. Tons of cars are MADE for straight line performance, look at most things American.
that's fine and dandy, but you still don't seem to understand I'm not talking about a weekend racer or a stock tranny. I already mentioned american cars as being made for straightline, so I'm glad you agree. The point is that maybe instead of buying that new boost enhancer and apple potato cake air freshener someone would instead work on making the car handle the power they plan to put down in the future. Seriously, instead of telling everyone it can't be done, just say it's a long and rocky road but it is possible...

Sure strengthen the gearbox, get a heavy clutch and pressure plate, fix driveline components (oh wait, been there, done that). Will any car break? Sure, but in the 951 it's the difference between 30 hard launches, and say 100 in an American car. If you've got the budget GO FOR IT, but chances are you'll realize it'd be cheaper and more effective to change the 951 into something it's not. Or just buy an Fbody.
Well of course any car will break, but my point is why can't you put parts into the 951 with a similiar strength to that of an fbody? I haven't been around the 951 camp long enough to know available parts, but I know that the 951 is still a car and can be improved just like any other car.

Yeah, and there is a dodge omni with a 454 around here that comes to the strip, what's your point? Enough money and frabrication will make anything fast.
My point exactly.
I feel like we are arguing two different points with one another. I'm not going to argue the 951 is NOT a good drag platform and you'd be better off starting with something way more prepared for it. My arguement is that it can be done
Old 04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Raceboy: cool info!! Doing that how much boost can you build on launch?
It depends on how good is your clutch and how hard can you slip it. If you have GT2 pressure plate and good sintered disc then about 1 Bar, if your clutch is stock, then it's not going to exceed 10 psi. Even though, much reduced lag.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:46 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Well of course any car will break, but my point is why can't you put parts into the 951 with a similiar strength to that of an fbody? I haven't been around the 951 camp long enough to know available parts, but I know that the 951 is still a car and can be improved just like any other car.
No, I think you're missing MY point. You CAN put stronger parts in, but the stronger stuff is only going to force you to replace the expensive stuff. I have a built trans, and a strong clutch, I'd rather replace a $99 part than a $6000 part, I dont see how I can stress further to you.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its, funny

Somehow people on here belive that running a dragstrip is harder on the car then autoX. When you launch just as hard to be competive in autoX at the beginning of every course. Also, its funny that people always want to make there car perform better but there is no test that gives you accurate results for so cheap.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

No, I think you're missing MY point. You CAN put stronger parts in, but the stronger stuff is only going to force you to replace the expensive stuff. I have a built trans, and a strong clutch, I'd rather replace a $99 part than a $6000 part, I dont see how I can stress further to you.
so you're saying your built tranny is more likely to blow with stronger cv's then? If so then don't get cvs that are near indestructable... just stronger then stock
Old 04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

There isnt an inbetween, it's stock or GNK.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 AM
95ONE
Race Car

There's another way to build boost that you can program in to a step / launch rpm. It makes your ignition bounce like a rev limiter. It builds boost. It's very easy. Just sit there. Push on the gas. the Revs bounce off the pre determined rpm, and there you go. Boost. Hard on the Turbo, but lots of honda guys just don't care. Neither do I.

If you can't afford it. then don't do it. This is what I do for a living. Build turbo cars and race for fun. Parts are wholesale, labor is free. I'll break it all day long for fun. SO what. But if I had to pay those ridiculous prices. FOrget it. I wouldn't drag race. I also Autocross and go to Texas World every once and a while. I just went last month to Houston Motorsport Ranch. Great Place. I love my job.

Quick Reply: 300rwhp, 12.9 1/4 ???