Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Turbo Cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:49 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only read the first 40 posts or so, and don't have time to read the rest of the thread. Here is the honest truth, guys:

Everyone loves to save money, but in this world you get what you pay for. Go ahead and try a 'cheaper' alternative. I did this in the beginning with software. Because I cheaped out and tried to save money, the end result was much more expensive.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
You say you "need" a few general specs. Ok, it's a garrett turbo, it has a compressor and exhaust side and isn't ball bearing. It makes power by putting more air into your engine. Naturally I'm being sarcastic. At one time I too was like you. I wanted to know what the specs were on all these kits - mainly so that I could price out the components for myself and maybe do it on the cheap. You say that isn't your goal but I can't see what other reasons you might have. Heck you even state that you are "trying to create your own perfect turbo set up". How is that not trying to do it on the cheap? I accept and understand now that John needs to protect himself from copy cats. To the best of my knowledge he has no patents on the things he is doing and thus has no protection. If all you want to know is how things work pick up a copy of Corky Bells book on turbocharging.
More power to those that just want to buy something that works and not be bothered with details.

Okay, I'm going to take back some of my prior comments. I will NEVER buy a Vitesse turbo, and I guess I ultimately could care less about the specs in regards to them because of this. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE PRICE! I'm not on a budget and don't care what I spend! I just want the best. All I've heard is hearsay about Vitesse turbos outperforming GT turbos, but I've yet to see any actual proof. I've seen plenty of proof on various forums that the new GT series turbos ARE all they're cracked up to be, and do out perform the older "T" series. Are Vitesse turbos worth the price? Personally I think they are, so no argument there. My friend has had a good experience with the stage3, and I was impressed, however I want more. What's wrong with this? I want to go a different route, and very few have experimented with the GT series on Porsches in general. If everyone around here simply leaves the "knowledge" to the vendors then we will have to rely on them for everything, and this limits the 951 aftermarket IMO.

Our cars were originally designed to be state of the art for their time, and were all about performance/technology when new. Personally, I would think this would attract like-minded individuals with similar demands. I've seen a startling number of people from the 951 forum with a lack of desire for TODAY's state of the art technology, performance, and technical knowledge. I would think more of us would be interested in these things, as they only further improve the quality of our aftermarket and the technical knowledge available to our community. Those who don't want to understand these things will just have to live with being told how it is by those in the know. On a final note, soylent green is people.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Our cars were originally designed to be state of the art for their time, and were all about performance/technology when new.
I'm not getting into the merits of this thread but just a brief comment on this. Unfortunately, the 944/51 were more budget than top of the line performance. All of the 911 and 928 series cars were higher tier than the 944 series. Porsche intentionally underacheived so as to not cut into the performance of the other vehicles.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

On a final note, soylent green is people. [/QUOTE]
That's funny...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:17 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

again i think this thread is kinda pointless.

you will always have to pay more for a product that is specifically designed with out platform in mind that buying some generic product that can work with any car. Everyone knows thats just the way it works.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

And now for something completely different...

Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, this thread keeps going..... and going.....

Guys, it's simple.. The VR line of turbos are not cheap, and are not for everyone! They are simply for someone wanting the best for the 951. Few vendors (I know exactly who they are, and I was not surprised) already tried to reverse engineer them. One instance the guy had the wrong turbo LOL, the second instance they had the correct turbo, just didn't get it (which is good).

For those than want a less expensive turbo, we offer that too. Nothing wrong with being on a budget.

The entry level turbos will be something you can get from ANY vendor. T04 whatever flavor you wish, you can even spec it out.. It'll be the same *unmodified components) that you get from various vendors..

There is room for everyone at VR.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:52 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can someone point me in the direction of all the Vitesse dyno charts. I'm not intrested in anything from ST, because I don't believe for a second that his car is comparable to anyone's on this board. I want charts from cars that are running real world boost levels on a 2.5 on pump gas. I'm also not interested unless you can prove your boost level. Where is the backup to all this talk?

Until I see it, I won't believe that my Super61 kit at a third the cost won't compare to the Vitesse kits. I have 0 traction in the first three gears with 285's in the rears. Would I pay an extra 3k for 30 more hp after knowing how my car feels now? No way in hell.

Lart can you back me on this? Our setups are the same.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kevin, the dyno charts are on the web site, from St and others.. Where on earth did you get the price structure, please elaborate on this (in full details if possible).

Would you be kind enough to share some information with us:

- What RPM do you make 1psi boost, 15psi boost? What was the outside temp?
- If you have a data logger, would you record the time it takes for your turbo to recover between shifts.
- What is the backpressure at 15psi & 20psi
- Do you have a dyno chart you can show us

Of course, anyone running a VR S3 (fine tuned), is welcome to share the same data.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:05 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, John I meant to say at half the cost. Someone early posted that it was going to be 5k for their kit. I just saw that you are selling it for $3700.

I see the dyno charts, but where is the boost curve on the charts proving the boost levels? The numbers look good, but not out of the question for any other tuners setups. I'm looking for Lart's and my chart now to compare.

Again, ST's charts do nothing for comparison unless you can show me the charts of someone else that is also running your WS, Head, cam and such. There isn't any.

I'm not bashing anyone, just trying to turn this back into a technical thread to do real comparisons instead of doing the he said she said thing.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:07 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Kevin, I hit the ENTER button too early, I edited my earlier message.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by por951turbo
Sorry, John I meant to say at half the cost. Someone early posted that it was going to be 5k for their kit. I just saw that you are selling it for $3700.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion regarding the price?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

One comment for you all. LR and John (Vitesse) are wonderful people to deal with and have done great things to keep our cars up and coming with new products and getting what you pay for. You can appreciate them after you have spent enough to buy a house with a vender that can't even deliver a working product and is suppose to be the best. Bob Norwood comes to mind, but thats a whole other story and yes first hand experience. Just be happy we have these guys (enthusiast) giving us options for a car we enjoy that is over 20 years old. I hope they are still doing this for many more years.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your website says that your kits are $3700. Are they not now? Either way, I was wrong on my first post. I paid $1900 for my Lindsey kit.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is my chart. This was before any tunning and with my old Guru Chips. Note: that because of the chips I was maxing out my maf at 4k rpms. This is the reason the power is so low.

Either way the boost is hitting 15psi at 3500 rpms. Not bad for a car that hasn't been tunned at all.

I have a data logger and can get the rest of the information once I head back to the dyno with a tunned car.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Turbo Cost