Seat change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Seat change?

Hi guys
I'm in serious need for a seat change as my 17 year old, 8-way adjustables while nice on the street are hopeless on the track. I am in Australia so we may not have all the brands you guys have access to but we can still get Recaro, Momo, Sparco, SAAS and a few locally made ones. My question is twofold. Firstly of course what ones do you suggest for both road and track. We mainly do short sprint events. Secondly it would appear as though it's not just a matter of taking old one out and putting new one in. They have to fit correctly and this is what I'm having trouble ascertaining. Also whether my street seat belt can be affixed to the seat and not the car? Is it worth getting one that reclines as no-one will be sitting in the back?
I looked in the archives but while there is info of course just not quite what I need.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:10 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the RECARO Speedters. THE BEST. for both on and off the TRACK. i can send you a picture if you want..
Old 04-12-2006, 05:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Reno for replying. The Recaros are a great product although in OZ they can cost up to $2500 for just one seat! Still I'd like to see yours if you speak highly of them. I also have to think of the lumbar support for longer road trips which I occasionally take. Some racing seats have provision for this. The other issue I am having trouble with is the fitting side. The amount of bolts for the mounting rails and whether the standard seatbelt can be attached to the seat not the car. I am yet to find an outlet that I can just go and take my car along and them advise me on what I can and can't put in and then fit it as well. That's why I was hoping for some direction from those that have done this before.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:55 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I took a 10 hour plus ride on them and my 50 yr dad and he just love it. I will take pics soon...
Old 04-12-2006, 06:58 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PICS DUDE!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

These the ones? http://www.idealseat.com.au/sr3_speed.html
Old 04-13-2006, 10:33 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Yeah those are the ones
Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

But mine is all black
Old 04-13-2006, 12:10 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

333-

If you drive the car on the street more than you drive it on the track, I would probably suggest reclining sport seats instead of fixed back race seats.

Fixed back seats are nice because they really hold you better. They are also lighter. The downside is that they are more difficult to get in and out of. I have a Recaro fixed back for the driver's seat and a Recaro SPD recliner for the passenger seat. The recliner is definitely more comfortable, but it doesn't hold you in half as well. It is still a huge improvement over stock.

You might look into Racetech seats. http://www.racetech.co.nz/ They are built down there and you might find better prices. Some people claim they are actually better than Recaros, but I am hardly qualified to make that judgement myself.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:02 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

For using your original seatbelt one can proceed in two ways.
If one has fully manual seat ( which you don't ),one can use original attachment piece ( that L -shaped one ).You just dismantle it from original rails and attach it either below seat rails or between rails and side mounting brackets,as it's done in original manual seats.
In electrically adjustable seats the female part of the belt is directly attached to seat frame,so then you must buy that L-piece ( two different ones,928... and 964... ) from your local Porsche dealer or make one yourself.

For bucket seats you can use at least two different sliders ( ie. rails ),Sparco or Recaro.Recaro side mounting brackets fit into Sparco sliders,other way around I am not sure. Both sliders use original threaded mounting holes on the floor. '87 and newer cars have one of threads covered with sheetmetal,just drill it off...you can see which one when you remove seats.

If using Recaro buckets/side mounting adapters there's one thing to notice: Pole Position has it's own adapters,which don't fit with any other Recaro buckets and vice versa.

I will install my "Pole Positions" with Sparco sliders and side mounting adapters as soon as I get them from upholstery.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much for your replies guys. Yes those Kiwi seats are available in OZ and look pretty good in the website. I'll have to see what sort of prices they want. Also I agree that as it is a road car, comfort, both lumbar and egress/exit are paramount. I guess I have been heavily influenced by the lack of bracing in my standard seats. This is why I have thrown this to the forum. I would have thought that I'd be inundated with replies as I'm sure many Rennlisters are using non-standard seats. I just don't want to sink $1000+ and be disappointed. Of the race seats are there ones with some adjustable lumbar support that anyone knows of?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:13 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fixed-back race seats are typically just a fiberglass mold with a cover over it. If you need lumber support, your best bet is probably to just fabricate something to insert there under the cover and tape/glue it to the fiberglass shell. You might want to make sure it is fire retardant/proof.

It sounds like a nice Recaro/Sparco/Cobra reclining sport seat is what you are after though. Race seats can be comfortable, but that isn't their main priority. If I were you, I would find a dealer near you that has some seats on their floor and just sit in a few. I would imagine in a city the size of Sydney you would be able to find some.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

There are some dealers naturally but they are fewer than you'd think and don't seem to be able to help much with advice for a 951. To be fair I haven't been to them all and the 951 is extremely rare in these parts. I'd guess less than 20 in a city of 4 million +. Most of our rev heads drive V8's in cars similar to your Firebirds, Camaro's, Mustang's etc if you get my drift and the aftermarket stuff caters for them. Although our Holden Monaro is exported to the US and sold as a GTO. It's actually a good car though most of us feel that the changes made for the US market are for the worse.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Fits nice and snug
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Seat change?