Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

replacing syncro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:19 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing syncro?

There's a 951 for sale here locally and the owner says that the only problem is the syncro between 3rd and 4th. How hard/expensive would this be to replace? Is driving the car in its current condition likely to damage other parts to the transmission? Can the car be driven like this?

I don't mind doing some work on a car, but I've never touched a transmission and know that its not something you want to mess up. Is replacing syncros something you can DIY or does it take someone who really knows 944 transaxles?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
There's a 951 for sale here locally and the owner says that the only problem is the syncro between 3rd and 4th. How hard/expensive would this be to replace? Is driving the car in its current condition likely to damage other parts to the transmission? Can the car be driven like this?

I don't mind doing some work on a car, but I've never touched a transmission and know that its not something you want to mess up. Is replacing syncros something you can DIY or does it take someone who really knows 944 transaxles?
I got charged $ 1076.00 for a tranny rebuild plus parts. If you don't buy the car would you mind passing the seller info?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

it's not a diy project takes a press and some special pullers to do. Take the trans out and send it someone. I have some parts trannies so if you get it tore down and it needs somethimg major let me know.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I also have a turbo tranny for sale $ 499.00 plus shipping for a rennlist member.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:08 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone know if driving around with a bad syncro (as the current owner has been doing) will damage anything else in the tranny or if it just cause rough shifting between the affected gears?

PM'ed you Lart
Old 04-11-2006, 07:16 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
Does anyone know if driving around with a bad syncro (as the current owner has been doing) will damage anything else in the tranny or if it just cause rough shifting between the affected gears?

PM'ed you Lart
Syncro will wear out and you won't be able to shift in to that specific gear.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Ok, I know this is might be a question that may be simply unanswerable, but I guess I'll give it a shot

Assuming I were to buy this car, I wouldn't be able to mess with having the tranny rebuilt or replacing it until the summer (got papers to do and finals are coming up etc etc). With that in mind, would I have to let this car sit until then, or would it be drivable until then (skipping 4th gear, double clutching, etc) - would driving it put it at serious risk of grenading the tranny?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:48 PM
schadenfreude
Instructor

I don't think you're going to blow up the gearbox - in the old days, cars didn't have synchros and you had to match the revs to get it into gear. If the synchro is worn then it will be a similar sort of thing, double clutch on downshift and wait for the revs to drop on upshift. You'll still be able to get it into gear, it will just be difficult. My 2nd gear synchro is pretty worn and I just need to be careful with it or it crunches - particularly when the car is cold, or when shifting from 1st to 2nd from high RPM.

The worst that can happen I suppose is wearing out parts from too many failed gearchanges
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I see, I'm just worried that the syncro might disintegrate or something like that and sent pieces of metal all over the inside of the tranny causing the other various gears to be ruined - but if there is not a chance (or a large one) of that happening I guess I wouldn't be too worried - I wouldn't even be driving it much if at all, just wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: replacing syncro?