Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing hood shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing hood shocks

I'm making a few spring improvements to the p-car, and the thing i'm having trouble with right now, is how the hell you get the hood shocks off of the mounts in the engine compartment. There doesn't seem to be a way to get that nub off of the pin or whatever it is. I tried searching, but got nowhere. Could someone solve this for me?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Hey Daniel,

If you get over to the west side of town (Spencerport), PM me. Bring it over and I'll be glad to show you how to do the hood shocks.

There is a little metal c-shaped clamp, pry that off carefully, and the shock will pull straight off that nub.

Good luck!

edit: be careful pushing up on the hood, the rear edges of the hood may touch the windshield and crack it....BTDT.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:29 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done a handful of these now... I do the hood side first (careful with the hood contacting the windshield). Then, I find it easiest to place a wide flat screwdriver at the base of the hood shock, and then use the shock itself as a lever to pry it off. If it weren't for the battery and the fuse box, the removal would be easy.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

Hmm, I thought removal was easy. Installation was a major PITA. Holding up the hood with my shoulder and trying to get that damn pin in the new shock (while compressing the shock) sucked.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephsc
I've done a handful of these now... I do the hood side first (careful with the hood contacting the windshield). Then, I find it easiest to place a wide flat screwdriver at the base of the hood shock, and then use the shock itself as a lever to pry it off. If it weren't for the battery and the fuse box, the removal would be easy.
Hey Joseph, thanks for the camber plates! (see pic)

[Sorry for the hijack Daniel] proceed...
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2006, 10:05 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Well Jim, thanks for the tip, that little slot was the trick, I figured it out by googling earlier. I'd still love to meet up with you sometime. There are more rennlisters around here than I thought.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

This may help:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/hoodshockrr.htm
Old 04-11-2006, 04:23 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jim! Those camber plates look good!
Originally Posted by docwyte
Hmm, I thought removal was easy. Installation was a major PITA. Holding up the hood with my shoulder and trying to get that damn pin in the new shock (while compressing the shock) sucked.
Rather than holding up the hood, I use the weight of the hood to compress the shock -- and lift up the hood as you push the pin in. A compressed shock uncompresses slowly enough that you can shove that pin in as you lift the hood and hold back the shock with one hand.

Quick Reply: Replacing hood shocks