Vitesse - New items

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
Do you have the chip/board or the chip.

chip, will that make a difference as to what piggybacks are compatible?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

John,

My head was fully rebuilt by the dealer less than 6,000 miles ago. I'm interested in your sledgehammer head and a cam to go with my Stage 3 turbo. What do you recommend, how much will it cost and what gains should one expect? I also anticipate going with a set of Speedforce headers down the road.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:37 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

SoloRacer, when you install the larger valves, it's advisable (almost necessary) to replace the guides. Which translates to the same work as a worn out head with good exh. valves and springs.
ST dynoed the head with great results. His last dyno was around 390rwhp at 19psi (SFR Stage 2, Sledgehammer and VR007 cam). I have someone else installing the VR003 cam, has the VR big-valve head and S3 kit. I'll ask him to do a run at 1bar, this will show the gains over S3 withou the head and cam. Again, the head and cam must work together!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John
What gains could be expected by installing one of your cams with a stock head?
Could you explain the difference between the V003 and V007 cams.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

just in case the answer has changed since last I asked, I trust you use a different maf on the stage 5 kit, compared to the 2.5 liter kits? I'd love to test and tune on the 2.5 before trying on the 3.0L (coming this summer
Old 03-28-2006, 01:35 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

John,
Could you compare/contrast your Stage I entry level turbo to a K27/6?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
951Obsession, Our MAF & associated software do not care which turbo you have. We do care about the injectors used (55# minimum). The boost characteristics of a turbo can and should be handled to optimize the setup on a car. This is why we offer the PiggyBack. On the chip/board we get you 95-97% on target.
Just an observation. I currently have two cars running Vitesse MAF software. The first is my personal car (stage 2, 55lb). I switched out to the chip/board about a year ago and my SMT-6 is completely zeroed out with no signal modification at all. The set-up passed a smog test with #'s virtually identical to when it was stock. My wideband indicates I need to lean it out a little bit under boost but otherwise the software is dead nuts.

The second car belongs to a buddy and and the set-up is a recent rebuild with little run-time but also has K 27, 55lb, and is running a APE MAF. This is using the MAF chip. That car starts and drives perfectly with no stumbling, stalling, hesitation, or mis-fires. At this point there is no means for signal modification installed on the car as well and is much improved over K27 APE software in every respect. I can't comment how it performs under load but I anticipate it will be very close.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

John: I understand the work for you may be the same no matter if the head was new or old it's just that the value for me would be different. Since my head has new valves, guides, etc. it might be in my best interest to find a head that needs to be rebuilt and send it to you for the sledgehammer upgrade. The cost would be the same and I could turn around and either sell or keep the newly rebuilt stock head.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OriginalSterm, The software on the chip/board is totally different than the code on the chip. The software on the board is VERY strict and VERY dead on target (it expects Vin=Vout). We can use the old software on the board, you must request it. But you give up lots of features (semi-sequential, dual maps pump/race gas...).

tconn, Tim the VR003 and VR007 have the same lift on the intake but not on the exhaust. Overlap varies between the two as well.Compared to stock, both cams are designed to provide better flow, more lift more duration than factory... Will make more power!

RK951, Stage 1 turbo (comes in various configurations, all T04E) provides good spoolup, flows more than the K27/6 and does not have the backpressure problems found with the K27/6.

Tom M'Guinn, The Stage 5 (3L) uses very different software than the 2.5L especially the timing. As far as the sensor itself, we can use the 3L sensor on the 2.5L, not a problem as long as the software is for the 2.5L.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

" Stealth MAF - The MAF sits in place of the stock AFM (between Air Box and J-boot). It comes with Vitesse software, for a true plug-and-play."

John, were you able to do any comparrisons on the dyno/street to see if there is any differnce from running MAF behind the headlight vs. stock location?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:29 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

SoloRacer, I agree with you. If you have fresh intake valves, seats, guides etc.. keep the head or sell it. The only parts we can reuse (if they pass inspection) when doing a sledge-hammer head are the exhaust valves and the springs.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:34 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by toddk911
" Stealth MAF - The MAF sits in place of the stock AFM (between Air Box and J-boot). It comes with Vitesse software, for a true plug-and-play."

John, were you able to do any comparrisons on the dyno/street to see if there is any differnce from running MAF behind the headlight vs. stock location?

On the smaller turbos K26, you may not notice a difference. On larger turbos you will notice a reduced spoolup and it may not flow enough for the big HP. A flow bench was used to simulate the flow. No testing on the street was done. The Air box opening is smaller than the 3" pipe we use for the std. MAF kit.

Keep in mind, the "Stealth MAF" was never intended to replace the existing MAF kits. Few people asked for them, we just made it happen.
Also, when going to a larger turbo you have to deal with fitting the J-boot (2") to the turbo inlet (2.75" or 3")..
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

John, would your stealth MAF setup work for a 3.0 turbo. I know we talked about this at lengths and I am very happy to see you develop this.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 03-28-2006, 03:25 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Good things seem to take time maybe you remember... if not who cares.
There is also an alternativ designed in the mother country of the 951 and even close to Stuttgart...
I really have to admit you do a tremendous job John! Congrats

The restriction of the airbox may be a point - but what about the 100 degree celcuis air sucked in by the con air filter?

kind regards Frank
Old 03-28-2006, 03:33 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
Alsowhen going to a larger turbo you have to deal with fitting the J-boot (2") to the turbo inlet (2.75" or 3").. 
So the stealth MAF jboot can only be sized to only fit the k26 2" inlet?

Quick Reply: Vitesse - New items