Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was first in the line and still don't have anything, including the invoice they sent some people ahead of the rad.

I called about it on Monday and they told me my order had been "closed out" which meant it would ship either by COB Monday or else go out Tuesday. So I expect it to show up by 7/18 or they're getting another call, minus the politeness.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 PM
reno928s
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The m10 x 1.0 bolt screws in the radiator with ease, this is the correct bolt. All the other bolts I've tried only screw in the first few threads then they become snug. I'm trying to locate one made is stainless. Reno
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
jy951
Instructor

Default Well...I Have Someone's Radiator..Griffin Sent Me TWO RADS in ERROR!..As Soon As....

Grffin provides me with a shipper's charge nbr (FedEx, UPS). I will send the second unit back. I'm NOT PAYING to ship the second RAD back to them on MY DIME - it was THEIR ERROR!!!!!

Ha!..And you only thought that their machine shop was sloppy..so is their shipping dept.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see... mine shipped... but it's not supposed to be here until Monday... you are the other coast though...
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Oy vey. Why am I not surprised by this? Oh yeah, because when I called today to ask where my radiator was, the guy actually said he didn't know. The job order was closed, meaning the radiator was finished, but he couldn't find any tracking information and the shipping department had no idea. Supposed to call me back to let me know where the thing is, I think I know what to expect.
Lame.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
IMO it's either one or the other, but not both. An NPT thread is tapered, a regular bolt is not. You might be able to force a 1/8 NPT in there due to the soft aluminum, but if it were my radiator I'd want to know the CORRECT bolt/plug to use...
Your logic is sound and the thread does appear to be straight, not tapered.

In my professional opinion (5 Years of high pressure hydraulic system Design/manufacture);

Using a straight thread plug, with a face seal or o-ring, is an acceptable way to seal this system.
But I don't have any metric plugs, with a face seal, in this metric thread.
Having said that.
Even if the female thread is not tapered an NPT male can still be used to seal this low pressure system. As long as you can get at least 3 threads in, finger tight, you will be OK with an NPT plug.

The point is that either one will do....

IMO, what I am going to eat for lunch is a tougher decision than this. .
Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 PM
reno928s
Pro

Overboost, do you suggest an o-ring type gasket, a flat rubber washer, or a 1/4 inch piece of rubber which fits snug against the bolt threads? When I install faucets they supply a bolt with a small o-ring and they never leak. TIA, Reno
Old 07-14-2006, 02:59 PM
jy951
Instructor

Default Is Bill Alaimo In Da House????...I Have YOUR RAD son...YOURS was the second rad that

that I received from Griffin because it was sent in error. At least that's what the Griffin invoice that I received states. I called Griffin today and asked them for a UPS, FedEx shipper nbr. Benji said "that Alan is the only one who can give out that nbr and t"hat he doesn't work weekends (factory is closed), only weekdays from 8 AM - 5PM".

So, unfortunately (for the owner of the SECOND RAD that Griffin sent me) I will be on a business trip in Denver early to mid next week. When I return from my trip, I will take the RAD to the local UPS store and have them call Alan (I aint paying to return a RAD sent to ME in ERROR!) for Griffin's UPS nbr.

Griffin Thermal Products - what a chicken-$hit operation!

Old 07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told the reference to B Alaimo was because he was the last to order one of these before our group buy, why he showed up on our invoices calls for another

Why not just sit on it and see if we all get rads, if it's a extra.. Merry Christmas!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 AM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno928s
Overboost, do you suggest an o-ring type gasket, a flat rubber washer, or a 1/4 inch piece of rubber which fits snug against the bolt threads? When I install faucets they supply a bolt with a small o-ring and they never leak. TIA, Reno
I suggest 1/8th NPT with some teflon tape.

But if you choose not to use NPT....Be carefull with the o-ring style seal since the female threads have not been chamfered to accept one. The sharp edge may cut the o-ring. A face seal will work well, but you should make sure it is a rubber coated sealing washer much like those used on GM A/C compressors. I fear finding the correct size, off the shelf, will be difficult.

Paul
Old 07-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Guys,
I am in the middle of installing the radiator, and the six bolts that hold the fans on do not fit. Griffin has threaded the six holes. Does anyone know what size the Griffin holes are threaded for? Thanks in advance for anyone's quick reply.
Kevin
Old 07-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

M6-1.0 Be careful of the length, you don't want the bolt going into the radiator core.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Beab,
Thanks, I was able to chase it down on my own. One thing I would add to your comment about length, is that only two of my six holes lined up with the holes in the radiator shroud. I ended up using a dremel tool to enlarge the four holes that did not line up. I then used some stainless washers to cover the enlarged holes. I would recommend to anyone that has not yet installed, to set the fans on top of the radiator to check fitment prior to install. Of course mine was installed and then I found out when I went to install the fans. P.I.T.A to do in place.
Kevin
Old 07-16-2006, 02:11 AM
reno928s
Pro

Kevin, what length bolts did you end up buying? Reno
Old 07-16-2006, 11:29 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Kevin: What did you end up doing about the raised weld around the fan switch hole? Did you sand/mill/shave it down and if so, what did you use?

As for the fan shroud screws, I'm just planning on taking off one of the easier to reach fan screws and taking it with me to the hardware store and buying a handful of M6-1.0 screws of the same length.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!