Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blow up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow up?

Ok guys tell me yours exspierience and opinion. I have posted before what i am doing to my car.
1. k27/6 turb
2. vistesse MAF system
3. 55lb injector
4. lindsey racing wastegate
5. 3 FPR
6. no cat and performance muffler.
7. Greddt profec-b EBC

It is being installed right now. I plan on running 15lb of boost. The car is not going on the track it is strikly a road car. I do get on it once in awhile but do not abuse it. My mechanic who is good at what he does but does not do alot of performance upgrades says with this stuff i am going to blow up the motor. I am alittle pissed at him because i did research and from what i found out with about 15lbs of boost i should be in what i call the safe zone. I no when ever you put more power to any motor you take away some reliability. What do you guys think? By the way the motor was rebuilt about 2500 miles ago and runs great and doesn not leak and is very solid. thanks guys
Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

so long as your a/f ratio is good (which it should be with vitesse chips, assuming they are programmed for your mods) you'll be fine
Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did John burn the MAF chip for that turbo? if so, don't worry about it at all......
Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Yes guys vistesse burned the chip for my turbo. i told him everything i was doing.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:52 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

then you're good to go
Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Nothing you are putting on is going to end the life of your engine. You are just freeing the engine up to perform better. You now have control over a few areas of your engine to make it perform better. As stated keep boost and A/F ratio within reason and you will be fine. If any issues arise with your car I would be willing to bet they would happen even if the car was all original and not because of the mods you are making. If you had John do your chips you can relax in your easy chair.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Simple solution, get another mechanic.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
Simple solution, get another mechanic.
That's what I was thinking. If he can't build you a motor to withstand 15 pounds of boost, he's not worth a darn.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:53 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't say you necessarily need a new mechanic. I think that, for the most part, mechanics are good at what they do and that is disassembly and assembly. I have not come across many mechanics who have a great grasp of why things work the way they do, just how.

Your mechanic has probably seen many 951s with bigger turbos blow up. How did they blow up? They put a bigger turbo on. Why did they blow up? Incorrect tuning.

If your mechanic can install these parts precisely and cleanly then he is a good mechanic.

Mechanic and tuner are not one and the same. I would say it is rare to get someone who can wear both hats well. If you do, you will pay a steep hourly rate.

Finally, I think you have an excellent setup that should work nicely. The only drawback to the K27/6 is the high backpressure. I would be leery of 20psi+, but it can be done, albeit on race fuel.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:59 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

So when your mechanic throws on a new timing belt, he doesn't check to see if it is timed correctly? I disagree, a good mechanic will be able to put everything toghether and be able to make sure it is running properly....ie tuned.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:05 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I don't consider that tuning. I consider that assembly. Do most mechanics know how to tune A/F ratios and timing? No. It is not a mechanical system therefore they usually don't have that knowledge.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

To be certified, a mechanic most certainly needs to know how to tune a car.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JBrown
vistesse MAF system
Just curious - did you get the SMT-6 with your MAF/chip-board setup? If so, you can always pick up a WBO2 gauge and log it with the SMT-6 for precise tuning for max performance. If not, everyone says that John's programming is spot-on, so you'll at least be *safe*.

Please post your opinions and numbers (if possible) once you get everything installed!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Mechanics are so full of it when it comes to mods. A Porsche mechanic explained to me that the headwork is worthless on a turbo car, and that there will be ) changes. ok mechanic...
Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, this guy has obviously demonstrated that he knows how to assemble a stock motor. Assembling a stock motor plus bolt on parts should be right up this guy's alley. Understanding motronic AND how to tune a MAF setup AND turbo 101 are not things that most good mechanics know or are interested in.

I have come across guys who can tune a standalone to "t", size a turbocharger and know what parts to use to get big HP. Those same guys sometimes forget to tighten a rod nut, or measure bearing clearances. Kaboom! Not because of their tuning, but because they are poor mechanics.

Sure there are guys who can do both, but those guys charge a mint. I would usually call those guys "Race car builders", not mechanics or tuners. Scott Gomes and John Milledge come to mind amongst others.

Quick Reply: Blow up?