Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ladt tried to kill me today

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
five-o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ladt tried to kill me today

Some of you know that I am supposed to go pick up a 951 Wednesday. Well, today I'm driving to get the fuel door release fixed on my daily driver. Roads are icy and many people sliding off. I slow way down and then see a guy who hit a tree. I stopped to see if he was okay and he was. So I turn around and drive back the other way. All of a sudden, a woman with her head up her a$$ flies up the hill and is going to rear end the car if front of her. She chooses to come into my lane and is about to hit me head on (she probably going 45). I swerved, and tried not to put my 4yr old in the path of her SUV (seated behind me) knowing I about to get creamed. So she slams into my door and crushed it in about a foot which pinned me in the car. Both my son and I were belted in (his car seat really protected him thank God) and suffered minor injuries. My car is totaled, and we both spend the next six hours in the ER.

I am in a lot of pain, and thankfully my son is pretty much not hurt (only a small bump on his head). Guess the 951 will have to wait until all this is straightened out and hopefully the guy will hang onto it for me. I'll check in with you all later and update you as this all plays out. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing that you are OK. It is scary how people drive in winter conditions.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that is crazy.
I can't imagine what I would have done to that lady in a similar situation....
Best of luck on the recovery!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dude uncool. Im glad youre ok. Thats good to hear that your son is ok too. Took it like a little champ.

As for the lady in the SUV, there are numberless crazy ladies in oversized vehicles that shouldnt be on the road. Many a time has mr rock's little 44's come into danger over the normally obese household woman in a 2 ton death machine. All I can say is I think you did the right thing as you and your son are still kickin.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Wow, I'm sorry to hear it. Horrible drivers in SUV's, especially horrible women drivers in SUV's are a pet peeve of mine. They bought it to keep safe, meanwhile, everytime they climb in to it, their are endangering others and creating problems on the road. SUV's should require special licensing.
Will you be able to ticket her, and make her miserable for being a complete idiot?
I'm glad to hear that you and your son are both ok.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Will you be able to ticket her, and make her miserable for being a complete idiot?
Yeah, im with Eyal!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 PM
glencase
Racer

Glad to hear you are ok. Sorry this is lengthy but good info.

Now on to the good stuff to get the $ that you deserve to fix or upgrade your car and to make up for all the BS that you will be going through not to mention the pain.

Lawyer up, and keep a journal every day for every ache, pain, medication, doctors visit, chiropractor etc.... don't fall behind on it as it may be the difference of getting a pain and suffering settlement and not.

I broad sided a girl in a GTI, she cut across 4 lanes, the car ahead and to the left of me blocked my view of her and her view of me.

Broke my left femur, pelvis in 3 places, fibula, pulmonary embolisms, 11 days in the hospital, and a month and a half sleeping in a hospital bed in my basement because I couldn't go up and down the stairs.

Her ins co threw up their policy limit and walked, she had no other assets except for the car that the ins co totaled.

The good that came out of this is this,
Took the $ from the totaled bike and bought an 87 944 n/a - got bit by the bug drove it for a year did some work and sold it for more than I paid.
Took the $ from the settlement and bought a 94 968

If not for the wreck, I'd still be riding a bike and my cage would be a 94 Ford Taurus POS.

Make sure that if she got a citation for the accident that you go talk with the DA to see if you can offer your account of the accident.

A conviction for her is good for you and your civil case.

Good luck and be well.

Glen
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

"Kamikaze Mommy"

SUV or Mini van they drive in their own world.

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU LUCK BUT A LEASTE YOU WILL BE ALL RIGHT!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, that's rough. Glad you and your son are alright. I agree, SUV's should require special licensing. I've nearly been creamed a couple times when I'm RIGHT NEXT TO THEM and they fail to look, let alone check their blind spot before changing lanes. Thank god Porsche put a loud horn into the 944's...

I also wish that the driving restrictions to get your license were more difficult, similar to those in Europe.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:21 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That story makes me cringe.... I have two little boys, 1.5 & 3.5 yrs, idiot drivers make me irate! Sorry to hear that litigation is probably your only recourse... Hope you get well soon, what kind of car were you in? I'm curious to know what kind of vechile surives an SUV hit like that? Years ago I saw a chevette get creamed broadside by a pickup at slow/moderate speed, a friend of mine was in the chevette, she died.

Jason
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you and the kid are okay. Are you allowed, as an off duty officer, to ticket her? I presume that the officer on the scene would throw the book at her, if you asked. Anyway, glad you're safe. I don't think you'll have any issues getting reimbursed.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I almost got taken out this morning by a blonde in an SUV. And I was walking!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:35 PM
eospeed
Racer

Women an SUVs dont mix well.I let my wife drive my f150 brand new 05 lariat an it took her about 30 mins to take off the mirror.You should need a special permit to drive one like a CDL.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:03 AM
five-o
Instructor

Sorry guys that it took me a while to respond. I was sleeping all evening. Thanks for all your support and concern. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Yes I am allowed to ticket her but the Trooper that came wrote her but I was busy tending to my son so I don't what it was for yet.

The car I was in was a 2004 Honda Civic LX (not a ricer), just a small family car. I could not believe how well it took the impact. I'm glad I couldn't get out of the car because I probably would have wanted to beat her *** for hurting my son. I did say some not so nice things to her though.

It was a total disregard for everyone's safety on the road. They just throw it 4WD and drive just as fast as they would on dry roads. Soccer moms and SUV's are a dangerous thing, especially in bad weather.

I am planning on contacting a lawyer although my injuries were minor. Both my dad and uncle are lawyers-prosecutors, but I'm sure they know someone. I can hardly move my neck and everything in my upper body hurts. As far as the car goes, my wife and I usually buy a new car on a 4yr loan and pay it off. Then we usually drive the car until it ****s. So we only have 2 yrs left to pay on this one and it only had 20,000 miles. Even if the insurance pays off the balance I'm out a car and all the money I put into it so far. Seems like I should be entitled to something ya know. We still have another car but what a pain in the *** it's going to be now.

Another screwed up part of this story is the guy who wrecked his truck. He was helpful at the scene to everyone, and helped the trooper direct traffic. Then when the Troop runs his license, the guy has a child support warrant and is going to jail. I normally don't feel bad for people with support warrants but this guy was having a bad day. The Trooper did let him out of the car to talk to me and my son in the ambulance. I think he felt guilty that I stopped to see if he was okay and then I get creamed. He just wanted to say he was sorry.

I'll keep you updated as to what's going on, and I will post some pics of the car when I get over to where it's stored. Thanks guys

Last edited by five-o; 02-14-2006 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

SUV's and big trucks!
I have wiped out 2 951's in 8 months (that is not bragging just sad facts)!
1. SUV: She could not see me and pulled out I hit the brakes and she did not front (Air bags deployed totaled).
2. SUV: On I-91 doing 60-70 in Hartford 4:30 PM traffic a SUV just wips it out of his lane nearly hitting the right front fender. I hit the brakes Hard (brand new TOYO's and loose front bearings) and swerve. My car's brakes lock-up (The car was sold to me with the impression of having anti-lock brakes) my car goes sideways and off the road (Air bag deploys car totaled). Needless to say the vibration I was feeling when I hit the brakes was not the Anti-Lock system engaging, but Loose front wheel bearings.

3. NEW 951:
Rules:
1. Only speed to get away from Big Trucks, SUV's, & Mini Vans! I am convinced that they cannot see me in their rearview mirrior's or any other window. Stealth mode on a busy highways is not cool!
2. Avoid Agressive driving!

Last edited by SchnellerUmsetzer; 02-14-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Ladt tried to kill me today