Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3Q Accusump for sale (complete)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:54 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Claus, but don't go out of your way. If you get a chance to snap some pics at some point it would be great though.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

I hope that these photos show the accumulator well enough.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/02140003a.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/02140004a.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/02140007a.jpg
Old 02-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

I can't see them when I click on the link. Let's try this:

Old 02-15-2006, 09:37 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Claus, that really helps. It is a pretty slick location for it, but it does make me kind of nervous there. I will have to think about it.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Slick set up Claus! Keep in mind that location will only work with a non ABS car. On my 91 S2, I have a big ABS control unit in the pass wheel fender that would prevent the installation in that position. Drivers side fender has the gas tank breather canister.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Should I be concerned about an impact at that location? Will it matter since the impact would stop the car anyway? What happens when the accusump is damaged?
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 PM
J_Kapp
Advanced

I went to their website and read some of the information that they have on it. They said that it uses the engines oil pump to charge the cylinder. I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but does this put more strain on the oil pump to a point where it could noticably reduce its life?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 12:38 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont think so, the charge, meaning filling the accusump, is just like if you added a 2nd oil cooler, just another place for the oil to flow. The oil is expelled from the accusump in a low oil situtation by compressed air that you put into the unit when you set it up.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also consider that the oil pumps on these engines are pretty damn strong. I'd bet they could outlast the engines themselves by a factor of 2 or 3, unless something went through 'em. . .
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

The Accusump has a piston inside. On one side, you add 15 PSI air. The oil solenoid valve is a one-way electrical valve. Oil can flow through to the tank but electricity is required to open it to release oil to the engine. Oil flows into the tank up to the maximum pressure that the system attains while the engine is running.

I use the Accusump to pre-oil the engine before starting since it is started sporatically. I have also installed a second low oil pressure switch that is set at 30 PSI. If oil pressure drops below this setpoint, a dashboard light energizes and the Accusump discharges it's load. It resets automatically when pressure rises again.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:03 PM
J_Kapp
Advanced

So if you fill it with 15psi air does it/can it run out when you're out on the track. I just kind of confused as to how this thing works but your last post was helpfull Claus. I guess it's the engineer in me that wants to know.

Also, I assume you could set the accusump to pump at any desired pressure, is this correct?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engineers rejoice, read this:

http://www.accusump.com/acc_tech_how.html
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Originally Posted by J_Kapp
So if you fill it with 15psi air does it/can it run out when you're out on the track. I just kind of confused as to how this thing works but your last post was helpfull Claus. I guess it's the engineer in me that wants to know.

Air is trapped on one side of the piston (where the gauge is) and oil fills the other side of the piston. Air cushions any hydraulic pulses and is the motive force to expell the oil.

Also, I assume you could set the accusump to pump at any desired pressure, is this correct?
The Accusump is only a storage tank. Any time that engine oil pressure is higher than what is in the accumulator, more oil is pushed into the tank, increasing pressure.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 PM
mikjel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Claus Groth
The Accusump has a piston inside. On one side, you add 15 PSI air. The oil solenoid valve is a one-way electrical valve. Oil can flow through to the tank but electricity is required to open it to release oil to the engine. Oil flows into the tank up to the maximum pressure that the system attains while the engine is running.

I use the Accusump to pre-oil the engine before starting since it is started sporatically. I have also installed a second low oil pressure switch that is set at 30 PSI. If oil pressure drops below this setpoint, a dashboard light energizes and the Accusump discharges it's load. It resets automatically when pressure rises again.
How often does your Accusump discharge it's load (dashboard light) when you drive on the track Claus, and when does it happen?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

The 30 PSI light only energizes when I slow down to exit the track. I have a switch to disable it during the cooldown lap so that it doesn't discharge then because I want to check oil level correctly when I get back to the pits.

I had an incident last year when I lost a quart of oil due to a dipstick problem and the light came on but the Accusump was manually actuated at that time.

Quick Reply: 3Q Accusump for sale (complete)