Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

So... whats involved in doing a ring job??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So... whats involved in doing a ring job??

I am going to do a leakdown test this weekend on my car. I borrowed an old compressor recently but the piece of crap has a hole in the tank and can't make 100#. I threw some jb weld on it but it didn't help. I am buying a compressor this weekend. My car started using a lot of oil last year and the pan started leaking near the back right side. It also was smoking at the track on major boost. Compression was 130, 130, 118, 130. Increased across the board with a few squirts of oil down the spark plug hole. Does the motor need to be pulled to do this? I did my own head gasket last year and I have even tackled new torsion bars myself. If it needs rings whre can I find what to do and how to do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well you stick your tongue out and. . . um. . . well. . . you know. . .

Oh you said "RING" not "RIM". Never mind.

Those are easy. Follow steps for oil pan gasket replacement. Add new rod bearings and eight new conn rod nuts to your costs, yank pistons out, replace rings. Installation is opposite of removal.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

So it has to be done from the bottom and not the top? Which means the engine has to be supported because I have to drop the cross member?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:35 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

If you do em out the bottom you gotta pull the engine, cause you gotta pull the crank out of the way.
You can push them out the top, oil pan off, leaving the block in the car.

If anyone else has any tricks...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN'T do them out the bottom, the pistons have to come out the top. Even with the crank out, the block is in the way. You kind of have to see it to understand.
I've done it with the engine in the car. I re-ringed my #4 piston after I installed the rings upside-down in my 951. Took me a few days in the garage since I only had a couple hours a day to work on it.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

How many miles on the car? Have rod bearings been done? Got any oil leaks, pesky balance shaft wafer? All depends on the budget and timeframe. It can be done in the car, might as well do rod bearings while you're there but yes, you will have to drop the cross member and support the engine. If you have the time and $$, I personally would pull it and take care of it all.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

What gets disconnected from what in order to remove the piston? More importantly is it just attacha wrench and loosen something or are there specifics that have to be followed. ANd then what about putting it back together?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Car has 70k miles on it. Bearings original.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well basically pull the head, then you'll have to drop the cross member, figuring out a way to support the engine - if you can find a ring with a hole drilled, you might be able to rig with the front lifting eye off the alternator/AC bracket and then put the ring on the first head stud, washer and bolt, chain together and use an engine lift. Then you can roll the engine to get the nuts on the rod caps. Pay attention to the numbers on the caps and the rods/rod numbers and which hole they come out of; numbers go to the driver side. YOu will need new rod bearings, assemble lube, new rod nuts, rings, oil pan gasket and patience.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:14 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

...and about $1000 worth of "while your in there" crap that you will probably be inclined to do.

Quick Reply: So... whats involved in doing a ring job??