Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Chip Help! Went back to stock and won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:29 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need Chip Help! Went back to stock and won't start...

Well...long story short: Went to put in some chip upgrades, got in there, and found out I have a 28 pin DME, so changed them back to the stock set up, and the car won't start.

Turns over ok, but no fire... I did realize I "skipped" the unhooking the battery lead before I started, so could that be the problem? Ran out of daylight before I could do much more.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe you put them in backwards.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 AM
special tool
Banned

uuuuugh - yeah, that's probably the best bet.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at the board where the socket is, there should be a painted marking (looks like the notch on the chip). Make sure the notch on the chip and the marking on the board are the same direction. DME chip and KLR chip do not follow the same orientation. Also make sure you did not swap the chips (DME & KLR).

If you are getting fuel, but no spark it's the KLR chip that is in question.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Thanks for the help! I will check it out when I get home...I know for sure they are in the right places, as one is a 24 pin, the other is 28...plus I marked each on the label before pulling them.

As far as the orientation of the chips, I'll check that out when I get home this evening. Seems I am getting fuel, just no spark...thanks John!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you are getting fuel not spark, look at the KLR. If the KLR chip is in place correctly, try another working KLR chip. We have been seeing few KLR chips go bad...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
If you are getting fuel not spark, look at the KLR. If the KLR chip is in place correctly, try another working KLR chip. We have been seeing few KLR chips go bad...
The problem is, he was working fine before he tried to change the chips. He put the stock ones back in as soon as he found out the chips and his DME weren't compatible, so he never tried to start the car with anything other than the stock setup. Could he have damaged his stock KLR chip since he still had the battery hooked up? Just asking, though my suspicion would be the chip is backwards.

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had exactly the same problem in the same way. My DME chip was installed backwards. Make sure the notch on the DME chip faces toward the outer edge of the circuit board, toward the same side where the round silver ignition trigger is. (round, silver thingy that sticks up and looks sorta like 3 stacked nickles)

I had been told by everybody including the chip mfr. that the DME chip notch should match the notch on its female socket, which is not necessarily true: I bought another DME and found that its female socket was manufactured in the opposite direction from my original DME, so the factory puts them in either way--this makes no difference, since the socket just connects the pins to the printed circuit through to the other side of the board.

Anyhow, the DME chip notch should face toward the outer edge of the cirucuit board, regardless of which direction the female socket notch goes. When I got the DME chip turned around correctly, the car ran fine without ill effects.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are using a ground strap, right.... ?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend had the same problem and the KLR itself was bad. We think He might have cracked a soldered joint while taking the klr apart. We put in a new klr and both sets of chips worked.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you check all the traces and solder joints on you circuit boards. I had the same problem and found a lifted trace on the DME board near the multipin external connector that had got broken when I reassembled the DME. It was under the black plastic socket that connects to the wiring harness and evidently gott pulled on when I slid the boards back into the socket. It drove me nuts for several days until I found it. It was a simple fix once I found the break.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:02 PM
littlejt1
Racer

OK OK...I'll put all the fears to rest...the one chip was in ***-backwards...so thanks John!!

Lined up the notches and no problemo!!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You are very lucky the chip did not get damaged. I have seen them get fried when inserted incorrectly. I would get a second KLR chip, and keep it as a backup.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Thanks for the advice John!! I'm in the process of buying a 28 pin chip for the DME and already have the correct one for the KLR from Brian (Red1)...so as soon as I can secure the 28 pin chip I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Need Chip Help! Went back to stock and won't start...