Look what I just bought... accidentally -- a 968 Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 03:02 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look what I just bought... accidentally -- a 968 Hatch

No no.. not the car, the rear hatch!

Funny thing is I almost bought one a while back, but the seller wanted $2400 for it. I bid on this one for $999 and thought there was no way in hell I'd win it for that... 3 days later? I won. Ooops.

So now, I gotta get it repainted.. It's blue and my car is red. I'm wondering if I should go with bodycolor red or black. Anyone got any pictures of a red 951 with red 968 spoiler/hatch?

If this doesn't work out, any offers?

Last edited by danny951; 01-12-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The pic name has "germanautodismantlers" in it. Please tell me you didn't buy from them. You'll be lucky to ever see your part. Either that or they'll send it to you and it'll be rusted, scratched, delaminated, dry-rotted, pitted, scuffed and the rear defrost won't work. And it'll be pink. And they won't return your calls or e-mails for at least two months. And you'll never see your money again.

If it all works out, congrats but they are well-known as a less-than-reputable source of parts. I wouldn't buy a leaky bucket full of rusty bolts from 'em and expect them to deliver "as described".

"Loathe" and "hate" are such a strong words, so I won't use them. Let's just say I have "intense disdain" for them.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:38 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you SOB you! haha j/k

nice work. I really debated on going with a 968 hatch or not on my car. It seems though everyone who does the 968 rear end ends up doing the 968 hatch and like my new exhaust I want my car special and unique. I like the factory wing on my car and it actually looks pretty good. So I think for now I will be keeping mine the way it is.

I will however take any other 968 parts you happen to buy but, dont want. i.e. mirrors,skirts,door handles.ect
Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Well, I haven't sent any money yet, and they have had a few negative feedbacks on their profile, but they are over 98% positive, but now I'm starting to worry Jeff. What did you buy from them?

John, I was actually thinking of you when I realized I'd won the auction.. thinking maybe you would want to buy it off me once I got it in. Your car is looking great btw.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hope it all works out for ya. Keep your fingers crossed; if it comes through as advertised it'll be a nice addition to your ride.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:04 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to think about asking a member close to Cleveland Ga. to go over to German Auto Dismantlers and look at the part. Might even have them pick it up and hold it, shipping these units can get expensive.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by danny951
I'm wondering if I should go with bodycolor red or black. Anyone got any pictures of a red 951 with red 968 spoiler/hatch?
Definetly go red with black trim!
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Sweet. Yeah, I PM'ed someone that has dealt with GAD in the past and lives close, hopefully they can go check it out for me. That red looks good.. I saw a picture of one on eBay once where the entire molding was red, instead of black and it looked pretty sweet. I'd like to see one all black too.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:41 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by danny951
Sweet. Yeah, I PM'ed someone that has dealt with GAD in the past and lives close, hopefully they can go check it out for me. That red looks good.. I saw a picture of one on eBay once where the entire molding was red, instead of black and it looked pretty sweet. I'd like to see one all black too.
Here is one all red:

Here is one black:

When I purchased mine it was in primer and I was making the same considerations you are. I decided on red with black trim because I thought the body color on the wing looked great, but I was concerned that there would be too much body color there if the trim was red as well. I think it looks great on 968 cars with the TRS wing and body-colored trim, but I don't like it that way so much on 944 cars with the thicker black window trim on the rear quarter windows and the black side-panel between the door window and quarter windows. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

I like the red with black trim the best. I think you're right about the other black trim pieces and it needs to match. And all black almost hides the spoiler altogether.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Red wing black trim...don't forget your shipping will be INSANE!!!
And GAD sucks.

Here is their ebay game:
They set ridiculous(sometimes acceptable) reserves so that they are not met.
This allows them to see the highest price the market will bare.
They then contact the highest bidder(9 times out of 10) because that is the most they can get.

Now if you have won, sometimes they go through ebay most times not.(saves fees etc) Then you have to deal with them(cue GAD sucks thread). Shipping cost almost instantly become insane(occassionally acceptable-rarely).

So just be armed with information on what it would cost to ship a full hatch.
email SuperDave he could tell you toot sweet.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
amschnellsten
Racer

I must be lucky. I paid $100 for mine. I got it while I was buying a black interior out of a 35,000 mile car. But mine was off an s2
Old 01-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by amschnellsten
I must be lucky. I paid $100 for mine. I got it while I was buying a black interior out of a 35,000 mile car. But mine was off an s2

Me too. After I finished parting my S2 out, spoiler cost me about negative $4000 lol But under a grand for buying one outright is a good deal IMHO. Hopefully dealing with GAD isn't too much of a pain.

I prefer my S2 hatch because it has the 944 style 3rd brake light. Subtle difference from 968, but I like it
Old 01-12-2006, 02:30 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Sadly, I think I am going to default on my bid. I just can't get over all the negative feedback I've heard and the rennlister I talked to from that area can't look it over until another week or so. I feel back backing out because I'v ehad it done to me and it's not cool, but if I can't feel comfortable sending this much money to someone, then I can't do it.

If anyone else wants to complete the deal, let me know and I will give you the auction. I just have too many other things I need to get before something like this.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Why don't you just call them and tell them that you are concerned about their reputation, and need some photos of the part and their assurrance that this transaction will go smooth and as promised?

If you back out on your committment, and get negative feedback, that could be bad for you for future purchases/sales on ebay.

Quick Reply: Look what I just bought... accidentally -- a 968 Hatch