Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sold the 968. 951 again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the 968. 951 again?

I sold my 951 a few months back and bought a really nice 968. I have enjoyed the car and hate to see it go, but I think it's going to a good home. For those who have read my post, I don't keep cars long, unless there is a real connection.

We also sold our family car, a VW Phaeton after a long battle with VWOA and then an announcement that VWOA was not going to import the Phaeton after MY2006. Now we have a 2000 Honda Odyssey for our family car (had it for a year and a few months), boy what a step down, nice enough and for a van it is fine, but I have to decide if I want to have a nice car for the family, and my wife's driver, Or buy myself another Porsche that will be driven a few times a month, that my wife won't drive due to the standard transmission, she is in sales, in and out all day and most of the time in a suit, with heels, dragging stuff in and out all day, and taking clients to lunch etc. Oh, yeah I have a company car so that's why the Porsche sits. So there is my delima.

I have a few options if I don't choose to buy a 951, as I see it.
1. E36 M3 Sedan with Auto (if I want my wife to drive it)
2. E46 330i Sedan, sport package-auto (see above)
3. Another V8 Touareg or TDI Touareg (we really liked this prior to the Phaeton, our dealer service sucks) but it will pull the boat
4. Another Phaeton, if I can buy one at wholesale with the right mileage. Horrible dealer service and terrible resale.
5. Audi A6, last generation with either 4.2 or 2.7 Bi-turbo.
6. Buy a Tahoe or Yukon to pull the boat, and there is a GM lot on every other corner to service it.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like some opinions, and any feedback on the above cars or other that might fit my situation. "I am in a pickle dick"

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:17 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

you could trade me the 968 for my 2003 VW Jetta GLI.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

hmmm, i could use an odyssey and have a 951 that i'm not using...
Old 01-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a 944T, if you're in need of repair and don't want to pay $80/hr, I'll help you rebuild it if needed, buy a used Suburban that can tow the boat when needed and double as a family car OR put the boat in a slip at Greers Ferry - Eden Isle, Heber Springs Marina, or Dam Site - no towing needed with 4 very good shops in Heber for boat service.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by shaheed
hmmm, i could use an odyssey and have a 951 that i'm not using...
You are still looking an odyssey?

Jonathan, I say get the Phaeton or A6. Congrats on the sale of the 968.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:19 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

yeah i just missed a really good deal on a 2003, i would trade the 951 for an odyssey/sienna/highlander/4runner if the terms are right.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaheed
yeah i just missed a really good deal on a 2003, i would trade the 951 for an odyssey/sienna/highlander/4runner if the terms are right.
What kind of deal on a 951? I have a 2000 Odyssey, leather ex with rear air and towing kit with 108K miles. I just ordered seals, water pump, timing belt, a/c and PS belt. Rear shocks, rear drums, rear shoes (all honda parts). The body is fair, has some parking lot wounds, nothing serious but does have dings here and there. Uses no oil, no leaks, ALL records since new.

Originally Posted by Ski
Buy a 944T, if you're in need of repair and don't want to pay $80/hr, I'll help you rebuild it if needed, buy a used Suburban that can tow the boat when needed and double as a family car OR put the boat in a slip at Greers Ferry - Eden Isle, Heber Springs Marina, or Dam Site - no towing needed with 4 very good shops in Heber for boat service.
Well, I have missed the 951. I have a slip and Heber Springs Marina, but we only used it 6 times last summer. The boat is sitting at the house for the winter, and I am not sure if it is worth $1400/year. Devide that by 6 and that means it cost me over 220 each time I used the slip. I could do a lot of towing with that money, not as convient, but......

I have done most of my wrenching for years and have rebuilt several 944's and 951's, I might take you up on the offer for help if I find the right car. There just are not that many around for sale.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

there was a 2002 (i mistakenly said 2003 earlier) odyssey ex (non leather) with 99800 miles, all service records, the transmission recall work had been done, at the local dealer for $9995. i looked at it really liked it, but my wife wasn't with me. so when she got home we went back that night to look at it and it was sold

the 951 that i'm thinking of getting rid of is ted's old car.

Quick Reply: Sold the 968. 951 again?