Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing Airbag steering wheel w/ non airbag

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:06 PM
jturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Airbag steering wheel w/ non airbag

I am replacing my steering wheel on my '87 951 with a non airbag wheel, momo millenium, 996 RS, or 993 RS wheel. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Can any of these steering wheels fit on my car? Will the horn work?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:29 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I just did this with my '87. Read the segment on www.944s2.com before you do anything. You will need the Momo 944 adapter (the one for the non-airbag car is fine), and to make the horn work, you'll need to either buy a combo switch assembly from the non-airbag car (about $150) or modify yours with the addition of the horn contact piece (928-652-104-00). I did the latter and got the part from Pelican for about $6. If your current combo switch is not working very well (signals don't cancel, etc), you might as well spring for the whole combo switch (IMHO).

There are a few ways to make the airbag warning lights go out on the dash after you do this (see 944s2.com). I just snipped the two warning light wires from the airbag controller and all is working perfectly. I love my Momo Champion wheel !! Good luck - post back for help along the way...
Old 12-30-2005, 05:45 PM
jturbo
Racer

Thanks!

I am not certain which steering wheel I am going to choose yet. I was leaning toward the momo mod 07 wheel, which is identical to the wheel on the 996 GT3 RS. The reason I may switch to this wheel is that the factory wheel is so close to the dash. The momo wheel with the addition of a spacer will bring the wheel closer and away from the dash. Any sugestions?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:10 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Well, my Momo wheel is 4.75" from the face of the plastic steering hub cover. I'm not sure how this compares to stock. I would think that you can bring the Momo wheel out as far as you want with the right spacer and longer bolts.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
jturbo
Racer

Can you post some in-car pictures of your momo steering wheel?
What size steering wheel spacer (if any) are you using?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:46 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

No spacer, just the standard 7004 hub.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:35 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I also just have the 7004 hub with no spacers. But, this thread made me realize that a spacer might give me a more comfortable driving position, so I just ordered a 1" spacer from LTB Motorsports. I'll post a pic when I get it installed. These pics are my current setup.
Attached Images    
Old 12-31-2005, 01:54 AM
jturbo
Racer

Thanks for the pics, the steering wheels look great!
Does anyone know what steering wheel spacer sizes are available?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jturbo
Thanks for the pics, the steering wheels look great!
Does anyone know what steering wheel spacer sizes are available?
The Momo one is 15mm I think (a little over 1/2") and LTB's is 1". Those are the only ones I could find. You can stack them so long as you get long enough bolts.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:38 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

jturbo- sorry I missed this thread ealier b/c I've been sort of researching this stuff for 5yrs now...

first, the factory wheel set-up will have you bumping the windshield wipers accidentally all the time... There WAS a FACTORY spacer avaiable but I've not had much luck on finding one. Anyway, I did the Momo Competition. I wanted to get back in the car at LEAST one full inch, so I ordered TWO of the 15mm spacers from LTB for $20ea- they will not stack, however, so I wasted my money on at least one- I ended up stacking the horn button bezel ring- mine appears to be flatter & smoother than Brad's- this gave me 5mm more for 20mm total- the problem is that the turn sginal stalk gets too far away, but I'm ok w/the 20mm- only the bolts are a hair short since made for 15mm. I would be GLAD to sell the unused 15mm spacer w/bolts if you're interested & make it cheaper than you'd get new...?? PM me if interested...

Anyway, LTB has a 25mm spacer now for $20 (I just ordred one the other day) & OG Racing ALSO has a 30mm spacer for $40. Sparco makes 2" spacers- they're $80 at OG- I think OG is expensive. Anyway, the Sparcos probably wont allow a horn to work- I even had to sand paint off the Momo bezel ring to allow a ground...

Anyone who's interested in the 15mm spacer w/bolts for cheaper, please let me know- LTB charged $20 + $7.50 for S&H... I'd go $17 including S&H.... or best offer I guess if not much intererest, but I've thought about putting it on ebay w/a bunch of other stuff I need to get rid of... the 15mm is a really good medium- you have great distance for the windshield wiper stalk & the turn signal is not too far at all, etc... still looks very nice in relation to the column, etc... it's a good small spacer just to help you out... then you can get whatever wheel you want & not have to worry about what dish depth you have, etc... The spacer works w/Sparco & Momo hub adpaters & possibly others, but I'm not sure which for sure, but I might be able to find out...
Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I installed the LTB 25mm spacer with my Momo Champion wheel and I really like the result. The driving position is much more comfortable. One thing though - the bolts that LTB provides are too short to retain the horn trim ring. My first reaction was "oh crap", but actually I like the look of the wheel better without it after all.

Here's some pics for you...
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2006, 11:25 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does the horn button stay on without the ring?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:00 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's mine. 7004 Hub, no spacers. Momo Prototipo model wheel. I like the setup, no issues
Old 01-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brad- I used that horn ring to get an extra 5mm by stacking it w/the 15mm spacer- the 15mm bolts are really too short but I've been using it for awhile- when you say your bolts aren't long enough, do you mean they wont even start at all, or, they're just a little too short for comfort? I think they look better w/out the ring too. What wheel is that? It looks grat- mine's a Competition- how does the turn signal switch feel to you now- a little far away? Mine's getting there at 20mm so I'm wondering how another 5mm will feel- I seriously considered the 30mm from OG racing, but it was a little pricey & I was afraid to gamble that much- thought I could use my horn ring again for 30mm, but not sure now... I do wish I could find a way to get that turn signal a hair closer. The standard 15mm spacer alone makes it about the perfect distance- the silly thing Porsche did was make the wiper switch closer to the wheel than the turn signal. Also, I assume you ordered your spacer in black & didn't just paint it yourself?? I ordered silver to paint the outer edge black b/c I was afraid I would not get a ground for the horn to work. I had a tough time w/my horn since mine was an airbag '88 Turbo S- it's actually different in there than 89's, etc... PITFA!

Jay- nice wheel, pedals, & trim- is that a CF stick-type? I've always wondered if anyone would ever make molds to do real carbon fiber flat-dash sections... never seen it so far...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:00 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Robby, LTB provides longer bolts (I think they are 30mm) but they are not long enough to use the horn trim ring. They have like 1 thread engaged. 35-40mm bolts are required. The horn trim ring is optional anyway. Momo wheels can be installed with or without it. The horn button is not retained in place by the outer ring - they snap into the wheel. My wheel is a Champion - I think this is very similar to the Competition, except for Alcantera (suede?) on the top part of the wheel. I ordered the LTB spacer in black. It is anodized aluminum, not paint, so a ground is not a problem. The bolts bridge the ground anyway.

The feel of this setup works for me. I haven't noticed any issue whatsoever with the position of the turn signals.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Replacing Airbag steering wheel w/ non airbag