Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing Airbag steering wheel w/ non airbag

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input- yes, I know the horn ring isn't needed- that's what I'm saying- I stacked mine in w/the spacer- I've had it this way for two years... It would not allow a ground though, so I had to sand off paint on the surface sides to use my horn- but that was teh least of my probs on getting a horn- that was a BITCH! Anyway, why I had asked about being able to get those bolts in was b/c I probably only have 2 or 3 threads engaged in mine- I mean it's really barely in there- always kind of worried me a tiny bit, but they've held for a long time now- I guess I'll see how the 25mm one is when I get it... Maybe I should have gone ahead & ordered black & not had to paint though... hmmmm... I guess it doesn't matter- I have some black paint I used to touch up my horn ring outer edge- it matched well- your black spacer looks a hair light, although it's no big deal & it might just be the light of the picture... Is Santa Rosa in hte Sonoma County area? I have friend's there- I love wine country... Wish I had a real job/life & I'd probably be there instead of here...
Old 01-21-2006, 03:13 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Santa Rosa is smack dab in the middle of wine country in Sonoma County. Beautiful driving roads for the Porsche out here :-) BTW, if you want longer bolts for piece of mind, try McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). They have those tapered bolts in many lengths. They are 5mm bolts.

link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/ps...=286;255=22663
Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're KIDDING!!! You have no idea how many places I looked to try to find longer bolts that matched those- I'm assuming these are allen head too...??? That's nuts! Thanks for the link- I'll check it tommorrow... I ordered the 25mm spacer, so I'll see how it fits next week sometime. IF I decide to add the horn ring then I gueuss I'll have to order some from them... that'll be fine... I just know that at some point I wont be able to reach the turn signal & the wheel is getting too high too- I want to bring it down slightly- Actually wanted it slightly lower than stock & right now, it's probably at least 20mm higher- the Momo is 30mm smaller so that raied it 15mm right there.. then the angle as it gets closer to me... I know there's a way to adjust it up to ~1/2" but I don't know how... anyone??? Also, i'm wondering if I should have just ordered the black 1" spacer instead of silver- now I'll have to paint it's outer edges... oh well... Thanks Brad...
Old 01-22-2006, 09:56 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

The last link I posted doesn't work... try this one:

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2975

This is page number 2975 of their catalog. They have stainless ones on page 2976. You are looking for size M5. You might have to buy a box of 25 or 50 or 100, but they are not that expensive..
Old 10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Wow guys

I just took out my cluster to change the light bulbs in it, and I got the idea of going ahead and replacing my stock steering wheel (airbag) with a momo wheel. Didn't think that this could be so involved. My car is a 87' 951 w/airbags (the airbag control unit thing...which sits behind the passenger side glove box is not working. This is why my warning light and airbag light are always on.

If I dont even use spacers....what am I going to need?

What I believe I'm going to need if I am not mistaken would be the following:
Momo Steering wheel of choice
Momo Hub adapter
Combo switch assembly

Is the switch assembly a absolute must that I need to buy? My current turn signals/wiper switches are working perfectly fine.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Perculator00
Wow guys

I just took out my cluster to change the light bulbs in it, and I got the idea of going ahead and replacing my stock steering wheel (airbag) with a momo wheel. Didn't think that this could be so involved. My car is a 87' 951 w/airbags (the airbag control unit thing...which sits behind the passenger side glove box is not working. This is why my warning light and airbag light are always on.

If I dont even use spacers....what am I going to need?

What I believe I'm going to need if I am not mistaken would be the following:
Momo Steering wheel of choice
Momo Hub adapter
Combo switch assembly

Is the switch assembly a absolute must that I need to buy? My current turn signals/wiper switches are working perfectly fine.
You only need the non-airbag assembly if you want the horn switch to work. The airbag switch cluster doesn't have the "L" tab needed for the horn to work with a Momo adapter. Everything else will work fine.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Originally Posted by eniac
You only need the non-airbag assembly if you want the horn switch to work. The airbag switch cluster doesn't have the "L" tab needed for the horn to work with a Momo adapter. Everything else will work fine.

Thx for the reply.
The switch cluster you are referring to is the part they are calling the "combo-switch" correct? Yes, I also read on 944online that I would need the "non-airbag" switch mechanism. So would any years 951 switch work fine on my 87'?

I read on the 1st page of this thread that the airbag combo switch can be modified with the addition of the horn contact piece (928-652-104-00) to make the horn work. Is this easy to do?

Last edited by Perculator00; 10-28-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Perculator00
Thx for the reply.
The switch cluster you are referring to is the part they are calling the "combo-switch" correct? Yes, I also read on 944online that I would need the "non-airbag" switch mechanism. So would any years 951 switch work fine on my 87'?

I read on the 1st page of this thread that the airbag combo switch can be modified with the addition of the horn contact piece (928-652-104-00) to make the horn work. Is this easy to do?
Yes that's the combo switch. Any year from 85.5-91 without airbags will work. There's like 6 different ones...airbag, non-airbag, cruise, headlight washer, etc. so just make sure if you have cruise control and want to keep it to get a switch with it.

I don't know about swapping the horn contact piece, never tried it myself.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...tall-long.html
Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I missed the note on this- I've done a Momo in 88 Turbo S- did not have the contact switch, BUT, some airbag cars DO have either the hole OR the hole w/the tab itself. You do NOT have to buy a new assembly either way, though- I did not- I simply drilled a hole exactly where the tab is supposed to be & put it on- worked fine. Ski's link is a great place to start as Tom Pultz has a great write-up on it & my car was one of two that he had written about, way back when, when he mentioned that SOME of the later cars did not have the contact switch (OR hole) & others did... I believe his sons car is an 89 & it DOES have the swtich OR at least the hole to mount hte switch into... That switch is only a few bucks...

good luck
Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
944Sknight
Rennlist Member

Does anyone in Southern California (L.A. or in the Valley) knows how to do this?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

Default can someone clarify

I have an 88 944 turbo w/airbag and I installed a sparco wheel. My horn is now a wire that I have to connect to metal on my column but I keep reading about drilling a hole in the cobination switch to pull the wire to the horn. I would rather not buy a $150 switch if I could drill a hole and contect the wire. Can anyone that's done this show pics or where I can find them? Or where to drill the hole, etc..etc...

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I have this thing: http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/steering.htm and I love it. It only spaces the wheel out 16mm, but it moves it up 12mm as well. I can barely notice the eccentric rotation, but I can definitely notice the extra room/comfort while driving. I'd heavily recommend it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Seattle944
Instructor

I already have a quickrelease hub and the wheel is already as close as I would like it. I just don't want to buy the old combo switch.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:27 PM
TWSTDVW
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For models that came with an airbag - This is the connector piece that is needed! - https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterp.../N0175994.html

Cylindrical Socket Clip

Part Number: N0175994

Quick Reply: Replacing Airbag steering wheel w/ non airbag