Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Flasher/blinker problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Glider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flasher/blinker problem

I have a 86 951. The left blinker flashes faster than the right. I cannot see any bulbs that are not flashing from left or right. Could this problem be in the flasher relay?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your blinker fluid is old. You need to change it to use the proper German stuff, not the cheap American crap.

Try a different relay, its about all that could cause that I would think.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:09 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You can get good blinker fluid here...

kaleauto.com

Blinker Fluid is under Maintenance.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Does one need to properly bleed the blinker fluid after change? I heard somewhere that you are supposed to blink 5 times and stop and do the same thing until the blicks normalize. I wish clarks-garage had a writeup on it.
Also, does anyone know which brand is the best?
Raj
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM
snappy
Racer

does the indash indicator flash faster as well? from left to right?
99% of the time if an indicator on one side flashes faster than the other, that means that one of the lamps are out. check all the left side indicators to see if they work. my bet is one is out.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Glider
Instructor

O.K. I checked the FSM and can't find the blinker fliud cap. I already went to the store and asked for some high performance blinker fluid. They hadn't heard of it , so I told them it was probably a Porsche dealer thing and when I needed a battery I would give them another try.

Snappy, That was the first thing I thought and checked. It does exactly as you are describing but I can't find any lights out. I guess it can only be the relay. The reason I asked the n00b question was because I had a 928 that had 2 relays or 2 fuses for the blinkers(several years ago) . Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Does one need to properly bleed the blinker fluid after change? I heard somewhere that you are supposed to blink 5 times and stop and do the same thing until the blicks normalize. I wish clarks-garage had a writeup on it.
Also, does anyone know which brand is the best?
Raj
The manual CLEARLY states 7.35 blinks!

Ofcourse that could be the metric number....
Old 12-31-2005, 02:57 PM
snappy
Racer

replace the bulbs. or swap them from one side to aother, other than beeing one of the cheapest upgrades you can do, when bulbs get old the filiment starts to decade and they loose there brightness, this in turn will also increase the wattage drawn on the relay.

I will first try and swap the working side bulbs with the other before you go get a relay.
just use a light sandpaper and clean the contacts a tad before you replace or place new bulbs in.ps. dont change the bulbs with the indicators on.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:59 PM
snappy
Racer

replace the bulbs. or swap them from one side to another, other than beeing one of the cheapest upgrades you can do, when bulbs get old the filament starts to decade and they loose there brightness, this in turn will also decrease the wattage drawn on the relay which might cause it to

I will first try and swap the working side bulbs with the other before you go get a relay.
just use a light sandpaper and clean the contacts a tad before you replace or place new bulbs in.ps. dont change the bulbs with the indicators on.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Glider
Instructor

I figured it out. The front bulb was working but was not installed correctly. It was flashing but fast. Mabye poor ground. When I put it in correctly it started working properly. Thanks for the help.

I never did find the blinker fluid.

Quick Reply: Flasher/blinker problem