Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Regarding "there is no replacement for dis..." and track vs street engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Regarding "there is no replacement for dis..." and track vs street engines

The discussion between a track and street car is ridicoulus!
If we compare engines... what makes a track engine so much more special than a highly modified street engine using race gas?
It's the same, just the chassis the engine is mounted in that makes the difference.

ST's car for instance (sorry ST for using you as an example that what's happens when you are no 1 HP on RL...), to me there is NO DIFFERENCE between that engine and a track car engine.

If there would be a difference between a high HP steet and a high HP track engine it would probably be that the track car uses some more expensive/better parts which would make it more reliable.

So what, you can't compare engines which are more reliably built than others??

Sorry but to talk results from STREET cars with race gas just doesn't make any sense.

I just can't see how anyone would use numbers on race gas to rank street cars.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke
The discussion between a track and street car is ridicoulus!
If we compare engines... what makes a track engine so much more special than a highly modified street engine using race gas? It's the same, just the chassis the engine is mounted in that makes the difference.

If there would be a difference between a high HP steet and a high HP track engine it would probably be that the track car uses some more expensive/better parts which would make it more reliable.

Very well put Duke. I could not agree with you more.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:46 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke

Sorry but to talk results from STREET cars with race gas just doesn't make any sense.

The second most sensible post i have seen in a LONG time (well, one day really).

Duke, you do realize that you are on the edge for starting a war don't you?

Nevertheless, you got *****!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Duke: Sorry for the OT, for it is your thread. But I have to ask you, have you taken any recent photos of that stunning car of yours? I would love to see more photos!!

Old 12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Sorry but to talk results from STREET cars with race gas just doesn't make any sense.

I just can't see how anyone would use numbers on race gas to rank street cars."

What if, as I do, you fill up with 100 octane race gas on every other fill up. If I'm actually running race gas on a day to day, street car, then haven't I just made a choice to run more expensive equipment (race gas) in my street car? It's still a street car, and gets driven everyday, but I can crank up the boost reliably. Why should somone say mine is not a street car, or street performance engine, because I choose to run race gas? It's on the street. It's not NOS, and I drive it daily. Why shouldn't my numbers count? Not a flame BTW.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Lots of people use meth injection and race fuel to achieve higher hp #'s. This is up to the car owner and no one else. its his car and his choice how he runs it.

Its everyone who else gets their painties in a bunch when he makes more hp than anyone else does.

I would never argue the difference's in power between the two. I think thats obvious. Whats got people up in arms here I think is just some peoples opinion's differ from one anothers on what constiutes a street machine and what doesnt.

I figure if it can be driven on the street legally its a street car. Some people are not so easy going...and feel the car has to meet certain regulations to be considered a street car in their mind. Which is totally fine by me. Everyone has their own opinion of what "street" is and what "track" is.

I say lets just enjoy them all weither they be used for street or track.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2005, 01:57 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

standards are never uniform, the octane of fuel that you run in your car should not be a determination of whether it is classified as a street or track car. for instance VP racing has their streetblaze line of fuels (click here ) which are high octane and street legal. my local vp distributor sells this, does my car become a track car because i fill up with this?
Old 12-19-2005, 01:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with both of you guys. To me, if it can legally be driven on the street, why isn't considered a street car, right? And if you track it, it's still a street car. I don't know, this is a no-brainer to me, but hey to each his own.

And hey John, you must be typing really fast pal, because you got some of spelling errors kickin? J/K...

Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

sorry I do type very fast. I will try and slow down
Old 12-19-2005, 02:21 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by shaheed
standards are never uniform, the octane of fuel that you run in your car should not be a determination of whether it is classified as a street or track car. for instance VP racing has their streetblaze line of fuels (click here ) which are high octane and street legal. my local vp distributor sells this, does my car become a track car because i fill up with this?
exactly. I dont believe the octane of your fuel should determine weither or not a car is automatically branded as a track car.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:21 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
sorry I do type very fast. I will try and slow down
It's a joke pal, ha ha. Come on John.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
It's a joke pal, ha ha. Come on John.

haha...sorry

Im at the office right now so I guess im in serious mode. haha
Old 12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also consider that a lot of people use "dyno sheets" as a measure of success. . . These pulls are often done under the best possible conditions, boost cranked up above where it would normally be, timing advanced a bit, race gas or toluene or whatever in there, etc. Then fire it up and hope it doesn't come unglued on you and send parts flying grenade style. Then they get their dyno sheet, "re-street" the car and are driving around with 75% (if that) of what's on the dyno sheet. Fair? Honest?

It's like the johnson-measuring contest in the boys bathroom in grade school - the kid with the partial boner is gonna' win regardless of whether he's really "longer" or not. HP contests have about the same level of credibility as johnson-measuring contests in my book for that exact reason: Ultimately you can build a 1,200-h.p. engine that's good for two hours or one that's making 200 h.p. and good for forty years. Which is "better"? Nobody knows - matter of opinion. Put another way: "it's not how deep you fish, it's how you wiggle your worm. Personally, I'd rather have a reliable 350-h.p. engine than an unreliable, experimental, liable-to-blow-up-any-moment 600-h.p. engine, but that's just my preferences since I don't exactly have money to burn like some other guys around here.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

porsche o phile while I agree with everything you stated how dou know that those dyno people dont put that same race fuel and drive that car around everyonce in awhile with that power level.

my point is people get their panties in a bunch when someone uses race fuel to achieve better hp figures. I say run what ya brung and, saying a certain octane of fuel automatically makes a car a track car is kind of extreme.

but, hey then again. I am kind of extreme
Old 12-19-2005, 03:08 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

A street car is something that can legally pass a state emissions test. To classify a car as street worthy It must meet those requirements. I bet 90% of the modded cars on the street have found ways of getting around the system. Does this mean that there street cars?

Smaller displacement motors are used to help balance the weight of front engine cars. plain and simple. The lighter the front end the better it can perform. Todays technology has allowed larger displacement motors to be used without adding extra weight. Take the Corvette z06 for instance. A lite weight v8 that doesn't throw off the balance and allows for a overall excellent performer. The saying that there is no substitute for displacement is true. The problem with that statement is most cars had to sacrifice handling and overall performance with it. That is no longer true today.

Lets face it. The best overall performance design is the midengine car. The problem is it's not street friendly. Front engine cars are just a compromise between practicality and performance.

Quick Reply: Regarding "there is no replacement for dis..." and track vs street engines