Rear CV's Locked?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:22 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear CV's Locked?

Hey Everyone,
It's been a while, but I have gotten to work on my car a bit over the last couple months. Woohoo!

Anyway, after replacing the entire rear end (except the transaxle), I lowered her down and tried to push her out of the garage. Nothing... Wouldn't budge. I checked the E-brake. It was fine. So I jacked the rear end up and took off the wheel. I was able to turn the hub with a crowbar about 160 degrees, back and forth. At the end of the 160 degree travel, the hubs lock up hard. Sounding like a semi-metallic thump. Really solid. I took off the calipers just to see if it helped, nothing. Then I put the car in gear. Then I could not turn the wheel at all... And I didn't do anything to the tranny so I don't think that would be the problem.

Now the only thing I can think of is that the CV's are binding up... I thought I put them back on the same way they came off. Maybe not... Is there a way to tell which way they go back on? They looked pretty identical to me. Would putting the half shafts on differently than they came off cause them to lock up?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chiris, can you push in and out on the joints? Recently had a car in TX that couldn't the driver motor mount down, no matter what you did it would not go. Went to the back (engine removal and reinstall) to check and found nothing. Rolled or tried to roll the wheels, one CV locked up. Popped them both loose, the motor mount fell into place.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly do you mean by the entire rear end?

The suspension and wheel hubs etc?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now the only thing I can think of is that the CV's are binding up... I thought I put them back on the same way they came off. Maybe not
You can put CV's back together wrong way. It will act just like you told.They feel like they are one piece when CV is in your hand.Center part should move freely upwards when you take a grip of outer part and move the center part with another hand. I have seen several CV's which were put together wrong way. Just turn around center part and CV should be fine.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:15 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
You can put CV's back together wrong way. It will act just like you told.They feel like they are one piece when CV is in your hand.Center part should move freely upwards when you take a grip of outer part and move the center part with another hand. I have seen several CV's which were put together wrong way. Just turn around center part and CV should be fine.
The CV can definitely be put together wrong, however the axles half shafts themeselves can be installed either way.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:08 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Okay let me clear some things up...
(Replies are in order...)

When the half shafts are off, I can move them in and out and rotate them just fine.

I replaced everything on the rearend. I took off the torsion tube and put in another tube and everything up to the tube, trailing arms, hubs, etc. I didn't replace half shafts or CV's as they looked fine.

I never took apart the CV's... Meaning I never took them off the half shafts. All I did was unbolt the half shafts from the tranny and the spindles.

So the shafts don't care which way you put them on? So someone could remove the shafts, turn them around and put them back on the opposite sides with no problem?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes, in fact it is a good way to even out the wear. I think the only ones you cannot swap are the 968 halfshafts.

-Joel.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:27 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

So if they are installed correctly, and I didn't remove the joints from the shafts, what would cause them to lock up?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:46 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Okay I found the problem, now that I have had some time to actually dig into the issue. When I put the rear end back together, I replaced the CV bolts with regular alan head bolts instead of the star bolts... That was the problem. Even though the bolts I put in matched the length of the bolts I took out, the heads were different thicknesses. Less than 1/8 of an inch made the difference! The new bolts stuck out just enough to rub the inside of the trailing arm. Well, the ends of the bolts shaved about 1/32" or less off the inside of the trailing arm. However, there was a little casting bump in the aluminum that stopped the whole spindle from turning. So, when/if you replace your CV bolts make sure they are exactly the same length as the ones you remove... or throw some hardened lock washers on the ends (like I plan to do)!
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2005, 04:42 PM
daniel951
Race Car

chris are those the same bolts i used on my car? i thought we bought hose together and my car never had any problems? Glad to hear that the car is finally coming along. I try calling u multiple times but u never answer or return phone calls
Old 12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

I can't remember if these are the same or not... But my car didn't want to budge!

Haha sorry about that... I was really busy at the end of this semester. I had to make a chalk machine for Uzbekistan... LOL
Old 12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Originally Posted by cpt_koolbeenz
I can't remember if these are the same or not... But my car didn't want to budge!

Haha sorry about that... I was really busy at the end of this semester. I had to make a chalk machine for Uzbekistan... LOL
how far are you on the car? U back in the springs for break? give me a call sometime i may stop by to see how the car is coming along.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Interesting, thanks for the followup.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:47 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Yeah no problem...
I hope it serves as a little heads up for the next guy/gal who does this!

Quick Reply: Rear CV's Locked?