Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

?Loose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:00 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ?Loose?

In dirt track racing when you go into the corner the car goes sideways. Now if you slide to the top of the track that is called a "Push". If the car trys to go all the way around or goes sideways out of the corner that is a "Loose"

I have noticed that when I "search for the boost" on my 951(down shift and mash it) the the car will loosen up! The tires break loose and it will fish tail a bit.

In Dirt tracking the fix is add gear (bog the motor). Add torque arm set the torque arm forward. Or add a little left rear to the coil over.

How do you adjust a 951 for this "loose" reaction to boost?
Thanks
Old 11-26-2005, 10:14 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

285's in the rear will help.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:22 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have limited slip?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:22 AM
EdC
Pro

I'm curious, where do you dirt track your 951?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:33 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Dirt track? I just hope is not what I think it's.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:49 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SchnellerUmsetzer
In dirt track racing when you go into the corner the car goes sideways. Now if you slide to the top of the track that is called a "Push". If the car trys to go all the way around or goes sideways out of the corner that is a "Loose"

I have noticed that when I "search for the boost" on my 951(down shift and mash it) the the car will loosen up! The tires break loose and it will fish tail a bit.

In Dirt tracking the fix is add gear (bog the motor). Add torque arm set the torque arm forward. Or add a little left rear to the coil over.

How do you adjust a 951 for this "loose" reaction to boost?
Thanks
Well, you have a lot of things that could be going with this situation. Two things to consider: One is how the car is set-up. Very key. Your springs/rates, sway bar settings, camber setting, and tires size as Jimbo said, just to name a few. I cannot tell you how many countless days race teams spend on just set-up alone, whether its Skip Barber Formula Dodge, right up to Indy. When I raced, it would almost be endless, depending on the track we were on. But once you know a track, have optimal settings, and record it in a log book, you have a great foundation for the next time you re-visit that same track. This is set-up # 101 in car racing. For me, Limerock in CT is my old hometown track, so that's where I tested a lot in several classes I raced in.

Two, it gets down to your driving style. This is over looked by many people. Most people don't have formal training, such as Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Bertilroos, etc. The basic principles they teach you, say, in a 3 day course are fantastic to anyone who wants to enjoy racing or just do DEs. If I can add this too, one of the best videos for anyone looking to edcuate themselves or fine tune their driving skills is a video made by Skip Barber called, "Going Faster". Excellent video I highly recommend to everyone, the best I've ever seen.

Anyway, many variables will also affect this are: entrance speed for your turn in, where you're hitting the apex, what RPM/where your're in the "boost zone" in the throttle, and finally, your track out line. One of the biggest mistakes I've seen when racing turbo cars, is people's transitions from trail braking to gas. This is under the assumption that the car is already dialed in with the proper set-up. The car needs to be "settled" before your turn in point - a big mistake alot of rookies make. Meaning, the transition from rear power to front load on the outer front tire needs to be planted and have good compression/load on that shock. This in turns creates a better contact patch with the road. And because alot of people don't have the car settled, they're coming in "to hot" - where they can overshoot the turn in point, find themselves in trouble real quick, and most of the time, will have the back end whip around - even in a 951 with it's neutral handling.

Anyway, that's my two cents from years of racing. I hope it helps?

Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

When you guys say "Dirt Track" is this what you guys talking about?
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2005, 11:20 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Yes Those are Outlaw latemodels MARS and WOW series! Also know as Wedge cars!

Before my uncle retired he raced that circut some as well as the Nascar dirt series.

00 "Mike Crump Machine"
Driver: Vic Bentlage

1a this may have changed but that used to be Terry Gallagher's car!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:21 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lart: I would venture to say you are right, but I could be wrong. If it is that style, then having an "induced slide" is the fast way around the track, whether it's dirt stock car or USAC racing style.

http://usacracing.com

Old 11-26-2005, 11:22 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by EdC
I'm curious, where do you dirt track your 951?

No I do not dirt track the 951. I don't race the 951, but all I understand setting up a dirt car. I like doing left and right turns

I know that my 951 can be set up for better traction and I was just looking for some expert opinnion!

Making those cars turn is at that speed also includes adjusting the brakes front to rear in the car as well as a over sized Right Rear. You cannot see that on those cars!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:23 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes Those are Outlaw latemodels MARS and WOW seriies! Also know as Wedge cars!

Before my uncle retired he raced that circut some as well as the Nascar dirt series.

00 "Mike Crump Machine"
Drive Vic Bentlage

1a this may have changed but that used to be Terry Gallagher's car!
Nice man, real nice place to race the 951

Old 11-26-2005, 11:23 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by special tool
Do you have limited slip?
Yes
My 951 came with a LSD tranny
Old 11-26-2005, 01:09 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes
My 951 came with a LSD tranny
Dude, do yourself a favor and invest in your driving skills "first". Don't put the money is the car now. I'm not saying it's not important, but you should priortize what's more important, skills or upgrading mods? Without even knowing your background, I will bet your car in it's curent trim right now is above your driving skills (no offense). I see this all the time. I've been a racer and instructor for years, ranging from shifter karts, to Formula Fords, Formula Atlantics, to IMSA GTPs. So it's fair for me to say I have some experience in this arena.

Just so you know, the best drivers in the world from Prost, Senna, Michael Andretti, just to name a few, started off with the worse equipment back in the early years of racing. Their cars were horrible in set-up and very loose - on the ragged edge. Yet, thru formal education, practice, and honing their skills, they were able to master these sub-standard cars. Once they moved up in the ranks to better cars, it was their skills that made them surpass their competitors. And as the famous Special Tool would say, "this is fact, not fiction!" And he should attest to my statements too, for he's been involved in racing, but in a different capacity than me.

So, you have some food for thought. Ok, I said my piece again. I'll step out now and let all the car experts take over from here.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:43 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Well, you have a lot of things that could be going with this situation. Two things to consider: One is how the car is set-up. Very key. Your springs/rates, sway bar settings, camber setting, and tires size as Jimbo said, just to name a few. I cannot tell you how many countless days race teams spend on just set-up alone, whether its Skip Barber Formula Dodge, right up to Indy. When I raced, it would almost be endless, depending on the track we were on. But once you know a track, have optimal settings, and record it in a log book, you have a great foundation for the next time you re-visit that same track. This is set-up # 101 in car racing. For me, Limerock in CT is my old hometown track, so that's where I tested a lot in several classes I raced in.

Two, it gets down to your driving style. This is over looked by many people. Most people don't have formal training, such as Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant, Bertilroos, etc. The basic principles they teach you, say, in a 3 day course are fantastic to anyone who wants to enjoy racing or just do DEs. If I can add this too, one of the best videos for anyone looking to edcuate themselves or fine tune their driving skills is a video made by Skip Barber called, "Going Faster". Excellent video I highly recommend to everyone, the best I've ever seen.

Anyway, many variables will also affect this are: entrance speed for your turn in, where you're hitting the apex, what RPM/where your're in the "boost zone" in the throttle, and finally, your track out line. One of the biggest mistakes I've seen when racing turbo cars, is people's transitions from trail braking to gas. This is under the assumption that the car is already dialed in with the proper set-up. The car needs to be "settled" before your turn in point - a big mistake alot of rookies make. Meaning, the transition from rear power to front load on the outer front tire needs to be planted and have good compression/load on that shock. This in turns creates a better contact patch with the road. And because alot of people don't have the car settled, they're coming in "to hot" - where they can overshoot the turn in point, find themselves in trouble real quick, and most of the time, will have the back end whip around - even in a 951 with it's neutral handling.

Anyway, that's my two cents from years of racing. I hope it helps?

Thanks,
I have went to 1 PCA meeting at a Porsche shop in Mass. I met several auto cross guys they invited me to a event, but I was due to go on vacation with the other half. I may do that if I can find the time. Autocross sounds fun!
I have a couple of buddies one has a 911 the other 87 944 NA they take them to Lime rock. They said something about driving with a instructor first. I might do that if I find the time.
It all sounds fun!
Old 11-26-2005, 05:48 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little body english might help ?

Quick Reply: ?Loose?