Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 turbo 3 inch update

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 turbo 3 inch update

Well the motor is in, all the stuff is hooked up, and i put the motor through two idling heat cylces. Found and fixed two water leaks (broken hose clamps), have two more to hunt down (these are hard because they drip only like every 30sec, very slow leak). Also i got word from Tim that my oil pressure is too high, so i'm going to have to fix that.
The second time i ran the motor, i noticed that i wasn't getting any solid feedback from the wideband sensor mounted on the turbo back portion of the exhaust. So i'm thinking, ok, maybe some exhaust is leaking before the sensor, or i forgot to tighten it. So i crawl under the car, everything looks fine, no leaks whatsoever. But i notice that i feel no heat radiating from the exhaust. Idle was at 1000 rpm, oil pressure at 4 bar flat (i know, too much), coolant was 90C, and oil temp was 170F. And yet, the exhaust wasn't hot, or at least not compared to the stock 2-1/4. So i played with the throttle to get the turbo spooling and create some more heat in the exhaust, and after some revs in gear with the wheels in the air, i then started getting signal from the wideband. That's crazy, i love this exhaust. It sounds the same as before (same muffler), but now with a deeper burble to it, really cool. Anyhow i thought i'd share that. Next step is to find the last two leaks, put in the steering rack, get it on the ground, and start tuning it under a load.
BTW, i have to admit, having the BOV venting to atmosphere (a tec2 is running the motor using MAP) is awesome. I gave the car a hard rev up to 4.5k, and when the BOV opened it blew all the dust off the windshield .
Old 11-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Whose exhaust? Or is it custom fabricated?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:38 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

the WBO2 sensor has to warm up a bit before it will start reading properly
Old 11-03-2005, 03:48 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
the WBO2 sensor has to warm up a bit before it will start reading properly
Right, i'm sorry, my point was that with the old exhaust, the wideband would take like almost no time to warm up. But with this one, it takes quite awhile because of how much cooler the 3inch exhaust is running.
The first piece out of the turbo is SFR down pipe. From that piece down to the cat back i made.
PS. BTW, i'm in the ME lab at school right now, so no pictures until i get home.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 AM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Here is the picture that i promised.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

holy $hit!my jaw just dropped literally!hahha,where have you been hiding when the engine bay pix posts are up?damn,what a sexy engine bay and btw......MORE PIX MORE PIX!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:49 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I always thought the intercooler should flow that direction.

I would think cyl #1 would run very rich with that intake,
or #4 run really lean.

wasted spark?
map?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 AM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

I'm not sure what wasted spark is, if that means that it sparks twice per combustion cycle, one being obvious, the other while the exhaust valve is open then yes, it's wasted spark. Oh, and the tec2 is MAP driven, which is why that BOV is vented to atmosphere.
BTW, i haven't been hiding, it's just that this isn't my car, i just put it together. It's actually my fathers project car, but i built the motor and arranged the maching to fix a lot of problems that came about when my father did it himself (Let's just say i'm not a big fan of LR anymore). Anyhow, now it's time to get it on the ground and tune it, so i'll be doing a lot of work the tec here soon, if you want i can keep putting up pictures.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

Originally Posted by 1FastRedSC
It's actually my fathers project car, but i built the motor and arranged the maching to fix a lot of problems that came about when my father did it himself (Let's just say i'm not a big fan of LR anymore)
I`m there too! Bashing!

NIIIIIIICE intake! Hope it doesnt have to much different AFR reading at the different runners!

Very nice!
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Wow, that engine! Thats the first car ive seen with the air flowing the other way. Very GOOD looking man!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:34 PM
1FastRedSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black Arrow
I`m there too! Bashing!

NIIIIIIICE intake! Hope it doesnt have to much different AFR reading at the different runners!

Very nice!
I actually talked to tim about differences in air flow rates in the runners. He said that intake works very well with flow difference of about 1-2 percent between runners. He said that he ditched this design intake in favor of using velocity stacks, and a more stock friendly location. Plus he said it's kind of ugly, which is true, but we don't care. As long as it works, and so far it has worked very well. My new project is going to be integrating a idle control valve into the system, because a fixed idle position is a pain in the ***, let me tell you.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

I actually talked to tim about differences in air flow rates in the runners. He said that intake works very well with flow difference of about 1-2 percent between runners. He said that he ditched this design intake in favor of using velocity stacks, and a more stock friendly location. Plus he said it's kind of ugly, which is true, but we don't care. As long as it works, and so far it has worked very well. My new project is going to be integrating a idle control valve into the system, because a fixed idle position is a pain in the ***, let me tell you.
Ugly?? No no! Its racing, biiig difference in my opinium!
It needs to work! Totaly agree with you on that one. If we need to look at something pretty, we can look at all the womens out there! I mean, the pretty ones of course!

1-2 percent between those runners is very good! We tested my LR intake, and its way below that. It flows better than the OEM intake though! I actually dont remember the flow numbers now..
Do you have any flow numbers on your intake?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:50 AM
TurboTim
Banned

The intake was done by me quite awhile ago. We had it flow tested and did lots of port work to get equal flow out of the runners.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Then he tested the supposedly stage 3 port job, against a stock turbo head back to back for reference. He got 201 cfm out of the stock one, and 204cfm out of ours.
Hey Thomas,you got a good one at 220 then!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

Originally Posted by Skunk Workz
Hey Thomas,you got a good one at 220 then!
Hehe!
I good one with 38% leaking in one of the cylinders. etc
Well, I`m actually not even using my $$ LR head anymore.. Do i need to say more?

Quick Reply: 944 turbo 3 inch update