Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wide Tire Set-Up For My 3.0L 8V

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rolex,

Your rear fenders should be rolled already...I run 295s in the rear, car lowerered with no rubs under full compression. Off set is very important, not sure what yours is but make sure it is at least 50mm+ (late off set).

Duke
Old 10-25-2005, 12:08 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Rolex,

Your rear fenders should be rolled already...I run 295s in the rear, car lowerered with no rubs under full compression. Off set is very important, not sure what yours is but make sure it is at least 50mm+ (late off set).

Duke
Duke,

Give the brand of tire and the full size. Some brands fit different. That will help narrow it down a bit.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:28 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duke: As I mentioned earlier, I have an 1989 car. I have no clue what the offsets are. You guys should know better than me.

evil944t: Maybe I need to rethink here? I guess I dont have to stick with the S03s, but something that is VERY comparable?

MattH: Thanks for the help, much appreciated it. As I said to evit944T, I am now open to a different tire as long as it performs just as well as the S03s. I happen to love them. But, if we could find a tire just as good, but would "hopefully" fit, that would be great.

Now I am really confused! LOL. Everyone is throwing out numbers, and I dont know my offset size for an 89? Help? Someone please give me a good set of tires to get, knowing my application I mentioned, and the exact specs I need.

EDIT: I just called Wheel Enhancement. I bought the following sizes: The front ones are 8x18 and the rear are 10x18. Still, help?

Old 10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Rob,

To find out the offset, you can call Wheel enhancement and ask for the off set ( not rim size) or you can look on the inside or back of the rim and it will be stamped into the metal ( on the back of a spoke or the center section that hits the hub) It might not be there( usually is) if you had them make a a wheel set for you but they should be able to tell you, Also check you packing slip?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dave: I just called Wheel Enhancement again, thanks. The front are 52MM and the rear are 54MM. Does this help you guys now so we can come up with a solution? Please say so?

Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Ok, your making progress.. That doesn't help me any but know you can do two things.

1. Call someone like CCW and ask them what is the widest wheel/off set they build for you car. be sure to ask what tire sizes etc..
2. measure on your car and see if you have room and by trial and error get the next widest tire.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Turby
Banned

Rolex,
With your rim size, 285's will be the widest tire you can fit without affecting the overall handeling. 305's WILL fit if you had the rim custom made with the correct offset.......... With your car bieng a turbo s with the factory "rolled fenders", all this will make fitment easyer. -Morgan

P.S. you might want to consider the michlen PS2's........ just like the SO3's, (dry and wet traction) but stickier......
Old 10-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

I have 265/35/18 up front and 295/30/18 in the rear. I have CCW's all around and they're 9.5" and 11". No problem with fitment.

I'm going to be selling them this winter and going to center lock BBS or Fikse's.

If you're interested, let me know.

Jason
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Let's see, on my current set up on an 88' 951 S. The fronts are 18X8s with 52mm offset on 225/45/18s. Rears are 18X11s with 62mm offset on 295/30/18s with Pirellis as my contact patch. I like Dunlop and Bridgestone as well as i have used them before a while back but on an 86' 951 with an early offset, also on 18X11 but with 275s section width- they will have a thicker/wider side wall than the Pirellis. When i am done with my current set up, i will go back to bridgestone or Dunlop with 235/45 fronts and 305s in the rears- if they do make 305 that is...

Man, i just love wide contact patches- just feel a little safer at the end of that exit ramp, shorter braking. Plus the fact that you get that OMG look from other driver too...

Duke
Old 10-25-2005, 06:59 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Rolex,

54mm offset you say, hmmm....stick with 285/35s in the back, that's the max section width you can use. On the fronts, i would go with 235/45s. tires wise, Bridestone S02s, Pole Position has an aggressive sidewall/design...and they are pretty good in the wet also. If you don't care about how it looks then Pirellis should do. Pirellis side wall is not as wide or aggressive as some of the others but it may gives you that extra room that you may need just to be on the safe side = no rubbing issues. Nitto Extreme series are okay in my book also if you can find them in the sizes that you need and they are not as expensive compare to Michelin, Pirellis, or Dunlop as i have them on my other modded honda. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Rolex,

54mm offset you say, hmmm....stick with 285/35s in the back, that's the max section width you can use. On the fronts, i would go with 235/45s. tires wise, Bridestone S02s, Pole Position has an aggressive sidewall/design...and they are pretty good in the wet also. If you don't care about how it looks then Pirellis should do. Pirellis side wall is not as wide or aggressive as some of the others but it may gives you that extra room that you may need just to be on the safe side = no rubbing issues. Nitto Extreme series are okay in my book also if you can find them in the sizes that you need and they are not as expensive compare to Michelin, Pirellis, or Dunlop as i have them on my other modded honda. Just my .02 cents.
Thanks for all the advice. Worse case, it sounds like I could stick with what you just said above with the 285s rear & 235s too. So now that you know my rims and offset sizes, you think I could easily fit 295s with different tires, like what? Give me a few choices that are fairly close to the same grip as the S02s. I want to look at them on the web. If you have any pics of them on your car too, let me know. Especially if they are Pirelli swith 295s.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:55 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
If you have any pics of them on your car too, let me know. Especially if they are Pirelli swith 295s.

This set up is easy, PZero Corsa 295/30x18 on factory Carrera Lightweights. Hell, I think I could put a 10mm spacer on the rear!
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
This set up is easy, PZero Corsa 295/30x18 on factory Carrera Lightweights. Hell, I think I could put a 10mm spacer on the rear!
Thanks Winslow, but that doesnt help me pal! LOL. I need to work with the rims and type of off-sets that I have, not you!

I think I may have to go with what a few people said on here, like Mudbuddha said about the 285s. That set-up will work for me with my equipment, for now. But damn, I wanted 295s in the rear. I just hope my car can make some decent power to take advantage of the 285s.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Worse case, it sounds like I could stick with what you just said above with the 285s rear & 235s too. So now that you know my rims and offset sizes, you think I could easily fit 295s with different tires, like what? Give me a few choices that are fairly close to the same grip as the S02s. I want to look at them on the web. If you have any pics of them on your car too, let me know. Especially if they are Pirelli swith 295s.

I'm not sure if you are aiming for sheer straight ahead traction or just like the aggressive look. Don't be surprised though if a staggered set-up with 6 size steps between the front and rear feels terrible on the road. When I had 255(R) and 215(F) my car plowed like a tractor on tight roads, I was always dealing with excessive understeer. I absolutely hated it and that was only a 4 step stagger. Personally I would at go with a larger front tire than 235 if you are dead seat on 285 or 295 for the back. Just my opinion...FWIW
Old 10-25-2005, 08:50 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Winslow, but that doesnt help me pal! LOL. I need to work with the rims and type of off-sets that I have, not you!

I think I may have to go with what a few people said on here, like Mudbuddha said about the 285s. That set-up will work for me with my equipment, for now. But damn, I wanted 295s in the rear. I just hope my car can make some decent power to take advantage of the 285s.

This might help you, my offset is ET50 front and ET65 rear. In the rear I have rolled my fenders (1987). I think I read your rear offset is ET54. I have over 10mm clearance to the outside. The 11mm difference between your wheels and mine divided in half is 5.5mm. Based on this I would say you could stick a 285 in there no problem and a 295 would probably fit as well. Matt H could confirm this I would think.

Quick Reply: Wide Tire Set-Up For My 3.0L 8V