Wide Tire Set-Up For My 3.0L 8V

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:00 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
This might help you, my offset is ET50 front and ET65 rear. In the rear I have rolled my fenders (1987). I think I read your rear offset is ET54. I have over 10mm clearance to the outside. The 11mm difference between your wheels and mine divided in half is 5.5mm. Based on this I would say you could stick a 285 in there no problem and a 295 would probably fit as well. Matt H could confirm this I would think.
Win, thanks. So tell me then, 285s in the rear, and what in the front so it's balanced properly? I don't want a car that drives like a truck or noise dives like crazy too. And hopefully Matt H can help me out some more here. I need to get exact specs on what can fit, and what "may" fit. Everyone has been very helpful, so thanks again.

OT for a bit here. Win: No 944 Fest in 2006? Is that right? I was planning on going to that one for sure too. Maybe we can do a NJ 944 Fest somewhere?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

So many 944/951 folk have used the 245~275 combination that it's old hat.

I went with 265~295 because I could...and also because MPSC didn't have much else. I really love those tires, so that's why I went that way.

If you don't have the HP, or TQ, then you might consider something else. But, my car really can brake like a monster with that big footprint.

Jason
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
special tool
Banned

I have a feeling horsepower and torque wont be a problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
I have a feeling horsepower and torque wont be a problem.
Jason: Thanks for that input pal. PM sent too.

Special Tool: Ok bonehead, what do you think? You read the thread, you have the car, and you are good with math. So, what do you think? And no damn one-liners too, frickin type! I want the biggest I can have in front and back, but I dont want it to noise dive and loose it's neutral handling - I love that part! And HP &TQ arent going to be an issue? Maybe it will be. With you setting the Goddamn bar at 533 RWHP/472TQ, it makes it hard for even Superman to compete with you.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:52 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason,

That's what i am talking about! Power is meaningless if you don't have adequate contact patch...and the fact that our cars are connected to the pavement by four tires- bigger is better IMHO. With proper suspension set up, we can corner faster, brake harder, stop shorter- the better. Anywho, what is your ET for your wheel tire combo- i am interested in the fronts as i do think that the car is pushing a bit with just 225s. I think 245s is ideal, atleast for me, for the fronts as i will be running 305s in the future. But damn, 265s on stock front fenders?! That's ridiculously sick man! Who cares about rotating mass huh???

Rolex,

Have you make your decision yet? If i could get away with a bit larger in the front than what i mentioned then by all mean do it...Remember though that too much tires which means excess weight on the fronts means more stress on your steering component and overall a heavier and slower reaction time, not to mention a bigger turning radius. Again, just my opinion and please correct me if i am wrong.

Duke
Old 10-25-2005, 11:00 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

horsepowerfarm,

I like your set up man...nicely done. Spacers in the rear would fill out the fenders nicely indeed. What size tires are you running in the fronts- any spacers there? I also like your side mirrors- where did you get them and for how much?

Duke
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

For any given tire width, you need the optimum wheel width (read:wider is better) to get the most traction/handling out of that tire width.
You already bought 8" and 10" wheels respectively?
If you ask me, you all ready pretty much set in stone that best/max tire widths are 225s and 275s repectively. If you went wider than that, I don't think you'd find it any better (well, the rears might improve traction some). Might as well go with that and you don't have to worry about rubbing. If you want to make that combo neutral handling as possible (less probable understeer), install a larger sway bar in the rear.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rolex,
Odd question. How many bolts hold your wheels together. If you have 40, you have the newer design. If you have 38, you have an older design that RH no longer supports. If you have 38 and need repair, I've gone through that and might be able to save you some headaches. If you have 40, you will have less trouble servicing your wheels should you bend something. I've been in touch with Wheel Enhancements and was told the same thing regarding size, but you are already way past what they told you based on what I've read here. I'm putting a similar set-up on my 89. Don't have them on yet, but I have the same offset that you have. Mine are off an 87, and I understnad there was no need for spacers and no rubbing, but the PO didn't go as larger as you are thinking for tires. I appreciate your asking all the questions as I've had the same ones, so I've been following this thread with great interest.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rob 3
Rolex,
Odd question. How many bolts hold your wheels together. If you have 40, you have the newer design. If you have 38, you have an older design that RH no longer supports. If you have 38 and need repair, I've gone through that and might be able to save you some headaches. If you have 40, you will have less trouble servicing your wheels should you bend something. I've been in touch with Wheel Enhancements and was told the same thing regarding size, but you are already way past what they told you based on what I've read here. I'm putting a similar set-up on my 89. Don't have them on yet, but I have the same offset that you have. Mine are off an 87, and I understnad there was no need for spacers and no rubbing, but the PO didn't go as larger as you are thinking for tires. I appreciate your asking all the questions as I've had the same ones, so I've been following this thread with great interest.
Thanks
Kool, well just keep following it, sooner or later I will get the best answer for me. I dont know how many hold it together too. I bought them in December 2003, so I dont know, nor do I have the car with me. I called Wheel Enhancement today, and they were nice. But as with all companies, they cant say that they will "guarantee" what will fit or not. Hence, why Im asking the fellow listers to share their expertise.

Wheel Enhancement sold me the set-up I have, but today they told me I "might" be able to fit 285s on the back. But forget what they said, several poeple are telling me based on the rims/off-sets that 285s aren't a problem. Now it's just a matter of "if" I can get 295s without mods/rubbing, then I need the optimnal size upfront too. But as I said in this thread, I don't want a car that drives like a truck, noise dives, and loses its awesome neutral handling. I guess we all want it, that is, the best of all worlds! So, I'm going keep reading and listening. Matt H seems to have alot of technical expertise, so, I want to hear more of what he has to say. For me, I like the S03 tires, but will get another brand that performs just the same, that is, if it allows me to obtain all those goals.

So we shall see.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 AM
special tool
Banned

Rob - we'll want to leave a little understeer in your car.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:51 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by special tool
Rob - we'll want to leave a little understeer in your car.
I thought so, since I am putting down some decent power.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My suggestion is to use a 255/35R18 in the front and a 285/30R18 in the rear. This will reduce the stagger (drastically) because I agree with Kool that a 225/285 setup will understeer heavily. This hinges on two unknowns: Front wheels are at least 9" wide and there is room in the front without hitting the spring or strut (should not be a problem on an 89).
Old 10-26-2005, 11:51 AM
special tool
Banned

Matt - keep in mind that Rolex car will be in the neighborhood of 4-5 pounds per horsepower++
What would you suggest in order to keep a little understeer - we don't want be cowboys here.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt H
My suggestion is to use a 255/35R18 in the front and a 285/30R18 in the rear. This will reduce the stagger (drastically) because I agree with Kool that a 225/285 setup will understeer heavily. This hinges on two unknowns: Front wheels are at least 9" wide and there is room in the front without hitting the spring or strut (should not be a problem on an 89).
Thanks Matt! I just sent you a PM, thanks so much

Old 10-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You certainly want some but the 225/285 setup is awful.

After looking at his website I think the 255/35 and 285/30 is the best setup. There is still some stagger, he has adjustable suspension so if you need to dial in a little more understeer that is a non issue, and overall the car should be very balanced.

Certainly, when making big HP there is a concern with throttle on oversteer, especially with transition from brake to gas.

Quick Reply: Wide Tire Set-Up For My 3.0L 8V