lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Off topic. Ebay problem

I sold the following car on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESO%3AIT

Shortly after the customer took the car home, he noticed that the odometer wasn't working. It measures speed, but the miles counter doesn't work. Also, the a/c compressor is bad. My question is: The customer wants me to pay for the installation of a new compressor and odometer gear. Am I liable for that?

TIA

Luis
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you expressly defined a warranty, ebay car sales are as-is. Granted, you are obligated to represent the car's condition to the fullest extent of your abilities, but a broken odo and bum A/C compressor are both things that the buyer could have diagnosed right away. Obviously if you knew they were bad, but hid that in the auction, you should be held partially responsible. If you claimed both were working and in good shape, then the repairs should be on you. But in the end its up to the buyer to do a final inspection before the car changes hands, as he has to be confident its condition matches the auction description. As soon as he drives it away, its all his.

There's definitely a bunch of documentation on ebay about it. But if I were you I'd try to find a nice/polite way to tell the new owner to take a hike.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

In your ad at the top it says "Warranty: No". In your description you state the AC doesn't work, and the last line says "As is".

You don't owe him anything, IMO.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951

PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTIONS WELCOME.

LOOK AT THE PICTURES, LOOK AT MY FEEDBACK 100% I HAVE SOLD SEVERAL 944, MERCEDES BENZ AND OTHER VEHICLES 100% SATISFATION.

BUYER IS RESPONSABLE FOR SHIPPING, LOCAL PICK UP IS ENCOURAGE, CAR SOLD AS IS.
You not only stated the car was being sold AS-IS, but you welcomed him to a PPI.

The buyer is on his own.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 AM
por4ever
Instructor

"Car is sold as is." Technically I would not think so. You also brought up the idea of a PPI. I guess it would just be a matter of how guilty you feel. He will also probably hit you on you feed back. But then, even if you do fix it he may still hit you. Having bought many things from Ebay I understand that it is buyer beware.

P.S. Take a look at these auctions and tell me what is not right with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-944-turb...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pioneer-AVH-...QQcmdZViewItem

P.P.S. I don't mean to HJ the thread but stuff like that really cheeses me off.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

por4ever
That first one really is lame!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I already feel better, thanks a lot guys.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luis: If you were buying a 12+ year old car, would you take it for inspection before purchasing it or not?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 AM
daniel951
Race Car

when i had my car on ebay i posted as is and stated everything that was and wasn't working to my knowledge. I think if you say this you aren't held reliable because if the guy had any question about something not working he would ask and then you could check at the time or he could just check when he went to pick it up before he paid.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:30 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Luis: If you were buying a 12+ year old car, would you take it for inspection before purchasing it or not?
I think I would Hussam you have a point there.

Originally Posted by daniel951
when i had my car on ebay i posted as is and stated everything that was and wasn't working to my knowledge. I think if you say this you aren't held reliable because if the guy had any question about something not working he would ask and then you could check at the time or he could just check when he went to pick it up before he paid.
When he came to pick up the car I told him about the A/c that it might be the compressor and the odometer gear i had no idea that it was bad, I bough that car strictly for resale.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lart, since this is an OT thread anyway;

How is the search for a new 951 going? Are you still dealing with the insurance?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by por4ever
"Car is sold as is." Technically I would not think so. You also brought up the idea of a PPI. I guess it would just be a matter of how guilty you feel. He will also probably hit you on you feed back. But then, even if you do fix it he may still hit you. Having bought many things from Ebay I understand that it is buyer beware.

P.S. Take a look at these auctions and tell me what is not right with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porsche-944-turb...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pioneer-AVH-...QQcmdZViewItem

P.P.S. I don't mean to HJ the thread but stuff like that really cheeses me off.

OMG, I can believe people pull scams like that.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I think it gets down to how much you value your perfect feedback score. I personally agree with the others here that you did your best to answer questions and be forthcoming about the car. The car was clearly being sold as-is and anyone buying such a car should expect that things won't work.

With regards to two issues he raised, I think it's reasonable that a seller acknowledge or disclose that an odometer is not working. usually this is obvious on a carfax report unless it has just died? As far as the AC, you did acknowledge that it wasn't working however the auction advertised it as just needing a recharge, not a new compressor.

The only real question is how much do you value that 100% feedback
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tedwright
Lart, since this is an OT thread anyway;

How is the search for a new 951 going? Are you still dealing with the insurance?
The adjuster finally came today, the car is totaled and they offer me $ 7900.00 . But I said no way, so there is an independent adjuster that will be coming next week.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:51 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 7up
I think it gets down to how much you value your perfect feedback score. I personally agree with the others here that you did your best to answer questions and be forthcoming about the car. The car was clearly being sold as-is and anyone buying such a car should expect that things won't work.

With regards to two issues he raised, I think it's reasonable that a seller acknowledge or disclose that an odometer is not working. usually this is obvious on a carfax report unless it has just died? As far as the AC, you did acknowledge that it wasn't working however the auction advertised it as just needing a recharge, not a new compressor.

The only real question is how much do you value that 100% feedback
I value my 100% feedback a lot. I am willing to a refund of 10% for not leaving me any feedback. But if he does leave bad feedback, I will leaving bad feedback too.

Quick Reply: Off topic. Ebay problem