Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Too much hp-talk, let's talk real life numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:49 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
To be fair you have to take different track conditions/altitude/locations under consideration but the fact remains most cars on that list are painfully slow . # 1 shows that he is a experienced drag racer with a 1.6/60ft which got him a good ET but the trapspeed shows he is short on power.
Some of the 117+ trapspeeds are ok and fall in line with a GT3/996tt (none X50) but it also shows that those wheel dyno charts are sooooooooo optimistic because one of those 951's claims 450-480whp and still has the same trapspeed as the above mentioned newer Porsche models which put down 350-380whp depending which wheel dyno one uses ................. the math does not add up.

I always get a kick out of #6 who video beats everthing under the sun with a trap that does not even break a 100.
I agree..
it´s one thing with the ET numbers that can differ between drivers but the End speed should be much MUCH better for most of the cars if the whp they claim is correct!! The end speed should not be that affected by a bad driver...

/pete
Old 01-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally Posted by MPD47
Pete my car was stock other than running 15psi (bleeding to 9psi) when I did my 1320'
Then your numbers are allright but the high tuned cars in the list... Come on what happend...?

/Pete
Old 01-13-2006, 05:06 AM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I don't think many people actually take their cars to the drag strips and time it. I can you how long it takes me to get down the on ramp on the way to work but it's not the same.
Jupp and then one strange thing appeer...

People have problem reaching a dragstrip to time the car, fine that I can understand but why is everyone badtalking the 100-200 test that is resonable easy to do? It gives a good view of your cars actual potential?!

In Sweden it´s a well knowed fact that it is a HUGH difference between our dynos and many tuners want´s to give good numbers to the customers!

/Pete

Last edited by Puppan; 01-13-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:40 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"30-70 2.0 sec."

Maybe this type of run would be much eaiser in the states and could do it legally on the interstate as most are 70-75mph.

Although there would be a 2nd-3rd gear shift, and I know with the 60-100, was pretty much a 3rd gear run, which elimiated the driver effect and focused only on the car.

Anyone??????
Old 01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to do a 60-100 in the turbo 928 two nights ago, but now that I'm running a solid 6psi (had to put my BOV in backwards to hold the boost! wierd), I had to let up at 70 or so or else I would have spun my car. I need to dyno again...probaably 420/430tq.

Here's my 5psi dyno, non-intercooled (boost leak at throttle body): Still made 365/385

http://www.928turbosports.com/videos...yno-hi_res.WMV
Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Puppan,
for some reason, here in the west the dyno figures are inflated.
I always have to smirk when people, here, ask for dyno sheets, as if the dyno is gods gift to proving the power of an engine.
In all fairness, most enthusiasts that claim extraordinary hp figures according to their dynos, are not BSing.
But they are guilty of being naive to believe the dyno without cross referencing with simple air flow potential and mathematics.
I don't have much faith in chassis dynos (for the purpose of diagnosing max hp), therefore I wouldn't even post my #s even though I can register high numbers for my car.

Put the car on the street where it belongs and see what it can actually do, day in and day out, anywhere in the northern hemisphere.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:57 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Mark:

I take it you are running pretty high compression since you are running low boost?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, Puppan,
for some reason, here in the west the dyno figures are inflated.
I always have to smirk when people, here, ask for dyno sheets, as if the dyno is gods gift to proving the power of an engine.
In all fairness, most enthusiasts that claim extraordinary hp figures according to their dynos, are not BSing.
But they are guilty of being naive to believe the dyno without cross referencing with simple air flow potential and mathematics.
I don't have much faith in chassis dynos (for the purpose of diagnosing max hp), therefore I wouldn't even post my #s even though I can register high numbers for my car.

Put the car on the street where it belongs and see what it can actually do, day in and day out, anywhere in the northern hemisphere.

If you don't believe the dyno chart than please ask yourself where did all of that fuel go. I didn't pour out of the tail pipe. Do a fuel calculation and you will see that a dyno charts are not out of line.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:41 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

stock 10:1 compression, but the dyno & 1/4 mile pass are with Autothority's chips installed, not stock, or even with the octane loop connected. Putting stock back in this weekend since now at 6psi I'm pushing the envelope.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Puppan
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
If you don't believe the dyno chart than please ask yourself where did all of that fuel go. I didn't pour out of the tail pipe. Do a fuel calculation and you will see that a dyno charts are not out of line.
I don´t understand what that can prove??
The fuel can be used for coolant and not for power most turbo car uses more fuel then it needs for just power...

/pete
Old 01-13-2006, 05:03 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

yea, I figured you did not drop the compression since the boost is low.

Which is a good benifit to a V8 turbo. Keep stock compression so still good low end response, then run a big turbo for the mid and high end. It can be a big laggy turbo since you have good low end response.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Lance J
Pro

LOWER ELEVATION???????/
Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Which fuel? Some of the high dyno reading here have been with #55 injectors...
Apart from that, measuring fuel is even more insecure than measuring rwhp, just knowing injector size and dutycycle isn't enough for an accurate measurement. Even even if you know exactly how much fuel the engine uses you have no guarantee on what bsfc you have.

As already said, dyno are not a good measurement for a cars performance. Even the believers here have homemade correction factors for readings on different makes of dynos. Of course the make that gives the highest readings are considered the most accurate....
Part of the blame for the inaccurate dyno readings are the customers. High numbers are a sales argument for the dyno shop. A shop that produces high numbers gets many customers (and dyno models that give high readings becomes the standard to compare against). When someone here posts a dyno chart with what is considered too low numbers someone emidiately suggests that the car owner should go to another dyno shop.

With all inflated dyno numbers it's no wonder that threads like this that focus on what a car really can achive gets so few real contributors. I agree that dragstrip performance may not be a good measurement to judge a 951 by but I have a very hard time in understanding why everyone is so afraid of 100-200km/h (62-124 mph) acceleration figures
Old 01-13-2006, 06:29 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thomas - excellent!!
I am so glad to have you back in your old mode of making insane posts!!
Welcome back, friend.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geez, just line them up.

I was hoping you water-cooled turbo-junkies might be more interested in my turbo'd 928, but oh well, I'll stay bastardized in my own corner.

Quick Reply: Too much hp-talk, let's talk real life numbers!