Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR 3" vs. Lindsey 3"

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:08 AM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I am in the market to replace my flowmaster muffler since a baffle is now rattling inside. The comparison pics were enlightening.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:08 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Ted, I decided for the LR system for my "rusty, POS beater car". I cannot justify spending so much more for something that "looks nicer" . The performance is more or less equal . The only reasons I could see for spending so much extra cash was: a) It will last longer b) SFR are RL sponsors. Well, I don't plan on owning this car for more than ~3 years and I never drive in winter. The price difference between SFR and LR would allow me to become a sponsor myself LOL.
I have also seen the LR exhaust after 1 year of use. It looked brand new. It will last much longer than I plan to own this car.
Now if money were no object........I'd get something custom made
Old 09-18-2005, 10:09 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW I had the pipes thermal coated. More than enough BLING for me.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:49 AM
LindseyR
AutoX

Ted is right, Tim builds a very nice stainless system. We have sold the Fab Speed 3" stainless system for quite some time now which is equal to Tim's in every way. When we decided to make our own exhaust system, we decided to try and fill a void in the market. That being those customers that can't justify over $1000 for an exhaust system.

Keep in mind that most people buying a 951 now days are paying well under $10,000 for the entire car, we felt there were more than a few people out there that wanted a more affordable alternative, one that would give them equal performance at a reasonable price.

Our average system price, including 3" from the factory down pipe back, the wastegate tied into the system and an aluminized 3" muffler is only $639. We have thermal coating and polished stainless mufflers and polished stainless tips that can bring the price up to what ever the customer can afford to do at that time. We have several customers that come back later and buy the 3" oval tip to accent their system.

One thing to keep in mind to is that the mild steel system is lighter than the stainless, so for those racers out there that are more concerned about performance and saving weight and less concerned about bling, our system fits the bill.

Thanks Ted for an interesting comparative thread
Mike Lindsey
Old 09-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Not taking any sides here but FWIW SFR sells/sold Fabspeed cat bypass pipes and mufflers for some time as an SFR product. They even used the same pics off of Joe's website for some time. Mind you THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS. It's done all the time with all kinds of parts. Not everyone can make everything and with the manufactures approval, they are sold by a retailer as "their" part.

I posted this info a while ago and apperently the current difference between the Fabspeed pipe and what Tim is not selling is Tim has changed the bypass where it connects to the turbo dump pipe and has made it slightly larger. Other than that it is a Fabspeed design/product.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Joseph Imports
Instructor

The SFR exhuast looks top notch. Porsche worthy all the way.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:12 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

anybody have dyno numbers to compare the 2?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:14 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Eivind, if you just wanted a cheap fix for pressure reduction, check out my tread on the WG "screamer" system.

LindseyR you are not a sponsor, and are posting the benefits and price of your products. Thats pretty poor form given SFR actually support the site.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:33 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased a Lindsey 3" complete exhaust for my 968 Turbo. It is the steel version and I include thermo-coating for the complete exhaust. Its look and fit very good. No fitting issues. The welding on the dowmpipe looks very good and the better part is that I saved a LOT of money over the SS version. Here are some photos:
Old 09-18-2005, 05:37 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
anybody have dyno numbers to compare the 2?
No, but I would seriously doubt that there is much (if any) difference between the two. They are both 3" mandrel bent exhaust.

There are a few places on my car that I am not willing to cut corners on. That is why I chose the SFR exhaust, and I am VERY happy that I did. Like I said, both exhausts work, you just pay for what you get in quality and craftsmanship.

Guys, I had both exhausts side by side. If ANY one of you had the same chance, you would spring a few hundred dollars more for the SFR (or maybe take a look at Lindsey's Fabspeed unit). I have said this before and I will say it again, when it comes to my car I only want the best. That is why I deal with so many different vendors.

After playing with more than half a dozen different companies, I know what is the best. When it came to software and maf, Vitesse is the only one I will talk to. When it comes to an exhaust, SFR is the only one I will talk to.

Mike, thanks for commenting. When I priced out your exhaust, it came in at about $775 with the options that I wanted. (Not even thermal coated, just with the borla muffler, o2 bung, slash tip, etc.) It was honestly worth it for me to spend a few hundred dollars more. I know not everyone feels the same way I do, so I am sure you will keep on selling them! To be honest with you though; if I had ended up ordering it, I would have packaged it right back up and sent it back to you when I saw the wastegate tie-in pipe. Again, that is just me. There is a bunch of people who seem to be very happy with your system.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:43 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NZ951
LindseyR you are not a sponsor, and are posting the benefits and price of your products. Thats pretty poor form given SFR actually support the site.
NZ, thanks but I have the moderator tag under my name, not you.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:04 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
NZ, thanks but I have the moderator tag under my name, not you.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Glad you are happy Ted. I am glad I pointed you in the right direction so you can fix your exhaust leak.Ted forgot the crush ring. Dohhhhh

BTW, Both of those testpipes were modified to 3" by us. So if you have a Lindsey unit and want a true 3" system, give us a call.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:39 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Glad you are happy Ted. I am glad I pointed you in the right direction so you can fix your exhaust leak.Ted forgot the crush ring. Dohhhhh

BTW, Both of those testpipes were modified to 3" by us. So if you have a Lindsey unit and want a true 3" system, give us a call.

Thanks Tim!! Yep, I can't believe I forgot that crush ring at the test pipe!!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:47 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by LindseyR
Ted is right, Tim builds a very nice stainless system. We have sold the Fab Speed 3" stainless system for quite some time now which is equal to Tim's in every way. When we decided to make our own exhaust system, we decided to try and fill a void in the market. That being those customers that can't justify over $1000 for an exhaust system.

Keep in mind that most people buying a 951 now days are paying well under $10,000 for the entire car, we felt there were more than a few people out there that wanted a more affordable alternative, one that would give them equal performance at a reasonable price.

Our average system price, including 3" from the factory down pipe back, the wastegate tied into the system and an aluminized 3" muffler is only $639. We have thermal coating and polished stainless mufflers and polished stainless tips that can bring the price up to what ever the customer can afford to do at that time. We have several customers that come back later and buy the 3" oval tip to accent their system.

One thing to keep in mind to is that the mild steel system is lighter than the stainless, so for those racers out there that are more concerned about performance and saving weight and less concerned about bling, our system fits the bill.

Thanks Ted for an interesting comparative thread
Mike Lindsey
Thanks for the compliments Mike.I am sure your brother Dave will disagree since he hates me

Mild steel weighs less but the difference between the stainless and mild in terms of weight and these exhausts systems is insignificant.On top of that Stainless has much better thermal properties then mild steel which means that you will keep the heat in the system which keeps the energy up rather then letting it radiate out of the system like mild steel does. Using stainless will mean less chance of cooking vital components Take care.

Quick Reply: SFR 3" vs. Lindsey 3"