SFR 3" vs. Lindsey 3"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Using stainless will mean less chance of cooking vital components Take care.
Thermal coating
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCab
I just purchased a Lindsey 3" complete exhaust for my 968 Turbo. It is the steel version and I include thermo-coating for the complete exhaust. Its look and fit very good. No fitting issues. The welding on the dowmpipe looks very good and the better part is that I saved a LOT of money over the SS version. Here are some photos:
Got any pictures of the underside of the exhaust after the muffler where it comes out of the bumper cover?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have an LR exhaust like the one above, from before the price increase. I like it. It's light, functional and sounds great. I also have an LR wastegate. I'm also happy with that product.
Knowing now, what I didn't know then, about LR's business tactics, I would NEVER do business with them again.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
I have an LR exhaust like the one above, from before the price increase. I like it. It's light, functional and sounds great. I also have an LR wastegate. I'm also happy with that product.
Knowing now, what I didn't know then, about LR's business tactics, I would NEVER do business with them again.
Alright guys, let's not turn this into 'that' kind of thread. This was started as a simple comparison because I know very few people actually get to have both systems in front of them at the same time. I only wanted to share that with you. . .
Old 09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ted
You are completelly right. Lets concentrate on the technical nature of this thread and avoid "Flame Starting" posts and comments.

Testarossa:
I'll take a photo of the exhaust tip today.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by TurboCab
Ted
You are completelly right. Lets concentrate on the technical nature of this thread and avoid "Flame Starting" posts and comments.

Testarossa:
I'll take a photo of the exhaust tip today.

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing the method for routing(bending, welding)...plus tip style etc...
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tedwright
Alright guys, let's not turn this into 'that' kind of thread. This was started as a simple comparison because I know very few people actually get to have both systems in front of them at the same time. I only wanted to share that with you. . .
I like Mods who have some *****! Thanks for sharing your experiences too. It definately helps people, and that's why we're all here.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Alright guys, let's not turn this into 'that' kind of thread. This was started as a simple comparison because I know very few people actually get to have both systems in front of them at the same time. I only wanted to share that with you. . ."

Ted you started a comparison, and I compared. There's more to buying parts for our cars than just the parts themselves. I have a right to my opinion about which I prefer, and why. I started by stating my satisfaction with two of LR's products. Based on other factors I would choose SFR if I had it to do over again. I wasn't involved in the conduct that made me feel this way, but it became very public. I feel that others, who weren't around at the time, deserve to know both sides. When new people come to the list, they have a right to know the whole story. Each members individual opinions make up that whole story.
I neither elaborated, nor intend to elaborate, on the specifics that created the reason for discontinuing support for one vendor over another. It's my money, my opinion, and not in violation of the Rennlist charter. I don't think I should have had to defend myself on this. A pm request to edit my post would have sufficed. I may or may not have cooperated, but now I can't either way.
I respect your position as a moderator, and I think you do a good job, but on this particular subject we disagree.
Additionally, I can't for the life of me, figure out how you wouldn't have considered the histories of these two vendors, and their relationship, before making this thread. It's almost as if NZ hacked your password.
Lastly, you chose my post to quote? Are sponsors not quotable?
"Thanks for the compliments Mike.I am sure your brother Dave will disagree since he hates me"

Why not the quote above?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:05 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ehall I agree that people who come to Rennlist should know the story about particular vendors. I agree with your post up until the last part. Why would I quote Tim's post? It says nothing about Lindsey as a vendor. If you would like to start a thread where people can share their experience with vendors (BOTH GOOD AND BAD) then feel free to do that. As long as it can be done in a respectful manner. This site is called Rennlist, not RennVendorBash.

I will say again, feel free to start a thread where people can share vendor experiences. If you are that concerned about new users, that is the way to do it. I will even sticky it for you. Once again, there will be no VENDOR BASHING tolerated.

What I implied by my post where I quoted you was that this thread was a comparison of two products. It was not a thread to talk about customer service issues or which company you would prefer to deal with. Okay?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What I implied by my post where I quoted you was that this thread was a comparison of two products. It was not a thread to talk about customer service issues or which company you would prefer to deal with. Okay?

okay
Old 09-21-2005, 12:06 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When designing Exhaust systems, Mild Steel is used for 2 reasons only. Its never because its lighter.

Reason 1. Because its a development piece and the material costs is far less.

Reason 2. Because its far less $.

As Tims said, the thermal properties of Stainless far out way the lower cost of the Mild steel.

That all being said, Mild Steel will allow more to "get Into" a cheaper system. That in itself is a benifit, but only if such systems are sold under the understanding that there is very chance that failure will happen well before the consumer expects.

Coating only makes them look good. Yes it dopes help keep the heat energy in, but it also covers up when cracks start to appear.

Buyer be informed. Choose wisely, and choose with the full knowledge of what you are about to encounter.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

do you guys not have exhaust shops around where you live?

how much did all that cost? looks real pretty though.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:41 AM
ApexCars
Pro

I've been to 2 different shops. One a speed shop that works on ricers and one a regular old muffler shop. First, I told them that I wanted a test pipe that could be replaced with the cat for street use. They both told me that they couldn't do it because there wasn't enough room to make the welds before the bend ahead of the cat. Then I asked about doing the whole system. Both said no, one of the main reasons was because they didn't feel capable of making the wastegate tie back into the exhaust. I'm still searching for a shop that feels they can do it. Anyone that has had a local shop make a system for you, please post some pics if you can so I can show them to the next shop I go to.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 AM
special tool
Banned

Campec - a mandrel bender cost more than most exhaust shops have in equity.
The smoothness of the flow is relatively imortant in a turbo car.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

oh. I geuss im just lucky. i have 3 very competent and good quailty exhaust shops that are within 4 miles of my house.
one "turbo dave" pretty much just does turbo conversions.
the other did all my exhaust stuff for way cheap and did a great job. he did complain about room under the car for the top welds though. but he laughed it off saying "**** your porsch"

and then if i go out of my way to go to the "ghetto" there is a shop with about 3 mandrel benders where i source my pipes from

Quick Reply: SFR 3" vs. Lindsey 3"