Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pls help w/ coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:55 AM
baltik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pls help w/ coolant leak

Driving along and notice a few people staring at my car to realize that there is smoke emerging from the hood, I pull over to find out that a metal clamp has cut through the coolant pipe and a steady stream of coolant is gushing from there (x- marks the spot on my liberally stolen picture from NZ)

Luckily I am a few blocks from home so i get there keeping a careful eye on the temp needle which remained in the safe range.

Unfortunately I am in SF with no access to garage + tools beyond a screwdriver.. so is this something i can patch? how hard is this hose to replace and how expensive is it?

TIA
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2005, 09:42 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Not hard to replace but I would not patch it. That is your main lower hose. You will need some way to get under the car, pull the belly pan, and pull the batwing. The batwing is not necessary but makes it a little easier. Drain the coolant out of the radiator via the plug on I believe the drivers side. Take the two clamps off and replace the hose. Then new hose, refill, bleed, and you are in business.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your other hoses too, they might need replacing as well. Better take it to a shop that knows 944s, the bleeding technique is unusual. Have it towed if it's far.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:04 PM
baltik
Advanced

Thnks - exactly what I was loking for - anyone know the part # for the hose by chance?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't drain the rad with the plug! I know its a "drain plug" but its plastic and can be broken. I know because I've broken my share! Just pull the radiator hose and stand by for the flood.

You will need a 12mm combination wrench to open/close the bleeder bolt (The bolt pointing at the fuel pressure gage in your "borrowed" picture).

To bleed the system, get the front end of the car up (an inclined drive way works fine), and set the heater control to full hot. Add enough coolant/water to get the level between the MIN and MAX marks on the expansion tank. Put the cap on and start the engine. Let it run for 30 seconds or so, bliping the throttle a couple of times, and shut the engine down. NOTE: You do not want the coolant to get hot, you just want it to circulate through the block, heater plumbing and turbo cooling plumbing.

Shut the engine off, remove the expansion tank cap, and open the bleeder bolt. Put yur hand over the expansion tank neck and blow into the over flow hose. This will force coolant through the block and out the bleeder. When you see a solid stream of coolant, close the bleeder, top off the coolant, and then go through the process again (Start engine, blip throttle, shut down, etc.).

After two or three bleedings, take the car for a test drive. Let the engine come up to temperature and check the heat from the vents. If the heater blows "hotter" while the car is moving then when the engine is at idle, you still have air in the system and need to bleed again.

Finally, the proper coolant level is between the MAX and MIN marks when the engine is HOT.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:43 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

that drain plug can definitely be a problem, more trouble than it's worth to use it.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Kind of confused...I am getting ready to do my cooling system...is this the bleeder??
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2005, 08:22 PM
baltik
Advanced

sorry last question - is the radiator hose generric or a special order from porsche?

P/n would be helpful or dimensions so i can go to kragen

thnks
Old 09-18-2005, 12:45 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Default bleeder location

No here is the bleeder bolt: Part number for the lower hose is 951-106-237-04.
Hope that helps!
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2005, 02:23 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Another good idea is to go to auto zone rent a cooling system pressure tester and test the system for leaks. This also helps with bleeding. I found a number of leaks in my car that I had no clue where there. Basic operation (after hose replacement) fill with coolant pump the sytem to 14 psi and let it sit and watch for a pressure drop, if a drop check for leaks. Always good to check for leaks anyways, go under the car with a flash light and take the afm off and if need be the j pipe. I found a leak down there. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:48 PM
jurg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I am in SF with no access to garage + tools beyond a screwdriver.. so is this something i can patch? how hard is this hose to replace and how expensive is it?

TIA[/QUOTE]
ease to replace and no genericand anybody that sell porsche parts, im sure they carry it
cost about $20.00, and can be replace it with a flat screwdriver.
part #951 106 237 04
be sure you have antifreeze/water handly and burp the cooling system afterward
Old 09-18-2005, 03:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have picked up the lower hose from napa, they had it on hand. Minimally you will need a cresent wrench though to bleed the system with the bolt circled in red...or a 12mm socket/wrench, etc, plus your flat blade screw driver. Not hard to bleed the system, fill up the coolant, start the car, slightly uphill if possible, while it is running crack the bleeder screw until coolant comes out, close it, wait a minute, crack it again until no more air comes out, close it...repeat 3-4 times and it will be fine.

Quick Reply: Pls help w/ coolant leak