Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:07 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

i would say the differences are insignificant. so long as it is a reputable brand.

by the way LFA951, do you think that synthetic oil doesnt come out of the ground??? because it sure does. it is mineral oil with **** loads of additives. it is very misleading the word synthetic, you would think it has been completly man made(out of a test tube or something) but its not.

sean
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951North
All Politics aside ...

For a summer only street car owner who WANTS to use a synthetic oil that will be changed once a season (max 5000 miles driven) Whould you choose Valvoline VR1 20w50 or Amsoil Series 2000 20w50? or are the differences insignificant?

Jason
see oil test thread below this one.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet 951

Well Sean, if you do your research as I did years ago, you'll see that what you say is true, but about all other oils, not Amsoil. If you notice on Mobil 1, Redline and Valvoline, you'll see it says Full synthetic, Amsoil is the only one that advertises 100% synthetic, no one else does. If they have some basestocks in it, it's less than 1%. If you want call them yourself and find out 715-392-7101. Regardless, it is still the first in synthetics and they were around since 1972, long before everyone else went synthetic...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by 951North
All Politics aside ...

For a summer only street car owner who WANTS to use a synthetic oil that will be changed once a season (max 5000 miles driven) Whould you choose Valvoline VR1 20w50 or Amsoil Series 2000 20w50? or are the differences insignificant?

Jason
Originally Posted by ehall
see oil test thread below this one.
Yes I saw that thread, and read the articles... Neither VR1 or Series 2000 oils were tested. Very interesting article though...

Jason
Old 02-09-2006, 04:02 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I should start a new thread but...

If you had my car, what oil would you put in it. I'm leaning with Ski on Valvoline. Anyone's input welcome.

I drive the car only on the street as it somehow became a show car and too nice to track now. However, I live in Vegas. I run it hard on the beltways. All of us doing over 130 for long straights. I change oil every 500 to 1000 miles. Thanks for your help...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:24 AM
JET951
Drifting

LFA951,

there is no such thing as a pure synthetic oil for road cars. the cost of such a product would be enormous. one area where 100% synthetic oil is used is in the mining industry on the huge trucks. but not in the engines. in the wheel bearings. this pure synthetic oil cost over $900 Australian dollars a LITRE.

now how exactly is amsoil (which im sure is a great product) making 100% sythetic oil for such a small price. i know for a fact that fully synthetic shell, mobil, valvo is over 80% mineral oil.

and i know how much pure synth costs because one of our customers works high up for a mining company. these trucks work around the clock and they loose huge amounts of money when they go down. each wheel bearing stack in these 40 tonne trucks costs in excess of $40 000 Au. they have found that 100% synth oil can make the wheel bearings last up to three months longer. and the oil never gets contaminated with such products as petrol so it doesnt break down as much.

Sean Buchanan
Old 02-09-2006, 05:26 AM
JET951
Drifting

DFASTEST951.

i use valvoline Gp50 in my car. it is a 25-50 mineral oil. but my car is not as highly modified as yours. that said though i would recommend at least a 20-50 and no lower.

Sean Buchanan
Old 02-09-2006, 05:40 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sean, LFA has clearly drunk the Amsoil cool-aid, as he does this in EVERY oil related thread. It is sold via multi-level marketing, so I find it impossible not to take his advice on this issue with something less than a grain of salt. I will openly suggest that he has a clear financial interest.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:42 AM
JET951
Drifting

thanks for pointing that out ehall
Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/snake-oil.htm#fourteen

Sidebar: Synthetic Oils
Whenever we talk about oil additives, the subject of synthetic oils inevitably crops up. Actually, the two subjects have very little to do with each other, but since many riders seem to equate additives and synthetics together in their minds, we will take a few lines just to clear the air.
Synthetic oils were originally developed for use in gas turbine engines. In most cases they are capable of maintaining their viscosity for longer periods of use and under much greater temperatures and pressures than petroleum products. Commons synthetics used for engine lubrication today are Polyalphaolefin (like Mobil 1) or Dibasic Organic Esters (like AMSOIL). They are fully compatible with conventional oils and can be mixed, providing their ratings match.
Probably the best situation is a blend of synthetics and mineral oils, such as Golden Spectro and AGIP Sint 2000. These products seem to offer the best of both worlds in protection and extended service life. They may cost considerably more than standard petroleum products, but they also can be used for much longer periods between oil changes without losing their protective capabilities.
Synthetics and synthetic blends offer a wider range of protection than standard petroleum products. However, it should be noted that this extended range of protection reaches into an area of temperatures and pressures virtually impossible to attain inside most motorcycle engines and transmissions. In other words, if you use them, you are buying a sort of "overkill protection." It's certainly not going to hurt anything -- it's just unnecessary. That is, unless it makes you feel better knowing the extra protection is on board, in which case the added expense may be well justified.
As a basic rule of thumb, using the standard engine oil recommended by your bike's manufacturer and changing it about every 3000 miles will afford you all the protection you'll ever need. But if you feel better knowing you have more protection than you need or, if you like the extended service-life feature, there's certainly nothing wrong with using a premium grade synthetic blend lubricant.

Quick Reply: Oil