Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it just me or are the autothority chips JUNK

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 03:02 AM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me or are the autothority chips JUNK

After putting in my wideband and fiddeling with the resistors they setup on a dyno session (at autothority by a PO) and tweeking the pot for the AIT I cant seem to get anywhere with it..

the car is rich, thats is good.. but i cant seem to get it much leaner then low 11's at the leanest point at wot..

and I cant get it to have a reasonable idle AFR i can get it into the 13's but much lower and the car starts getting misfires at idle (timing issue??)

and it will only get into closed loop when the engine is very warm.. when it does it will get a perfect 14.7.. but when its not i am running like low 11 AFRs just crusing around..

I think is is why sooo many people have a hard time getting their cars to pass emissions with these chips.. there is probably a memory location that activates closed loop fueling based on coolent temps for warm up purposes..

I think i am going to break down soon and just ditch these and work from a stock tune.. gota save up for a eprom buner..

uhh.. what a headache..

meh, i am too tired and hopped up on gas fumes to bother fixing the errors that are probably all over this post..
Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats AIT?

If your timing was high at idle it would oscillate up and down. The cars do run rich when cold...

What are you using to correct the AFs?
Old 09-11-2005, 03:13 AM
Missin2
Racer

AIT = air intake temp sensor.. sorry.. everyone calls it that in the camaro world..

right now all i am doing is using the resistors autothority setup and the POT that repaced the AIT sensor..

that got me prety much nowhere.. it dropped a little (maybe 0.3 points on afr across the board) and i got the idle back to smooth.. but thats it..
Old 09-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Missin2
Racer

and there is really nothing i can do about the closed loop fueling on cooler days/nights without making some new chips..

that or keeping the engine temps up
Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Ah ok, IAT is what I know it as...

Using a POT to vary resistence is a scary way to tune, personally. But thats just me, I prefer MAP.

I think the cheapest solution is to just get some Vitesse chips. Unless you are very keen on burning your own chips, which is not as easy as it sounds to get right. I dont know much about the tuning process constraints you have run into, but can you get a bigger range POT to extend tuning capabilities? Are you running the boost the chips are tuned for?

Anyways, to cut a long story short, save money on the dyno and get some Vitesse chips or a decent piggy back, or if you have the budget and goals, get a standalone and tune off MAP... the new Link units can tune up to 7 bar!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:20 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Missin2
and there is really nothing i can do about the closed loop fueling on cooler days/nights without making some new chips..

that or keeping the engine temps up

Ahhh it should be based on the engine temp, not intake temp. At least thats how it works on my standalone, "should" be the same for the stock setup I would think, just guessing here... maybe John or someone in the know can confirm.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:22 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My Autothority chips that came with the MAF were way rich in the midrange. Also another local car here in OKC with no mods except an old Autothority chipset ran really rich at the boost settings for the chip set. He sent the chips with the dyno charts including A/F to get them retuned for $100. We are anxious to see the results.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:23 AM
Missin2
Racer

the budget is low for now

even with a piggyback my best guess is that it will still have problems with closed loop fueling..

I dont like the whole Pot and resistor setup either.. I am a strait to the soruce kidna guy.. which is why I think i am going to pass on the piggyback (really fancy resistor) as well..

I dont have the stock chips either.. but I have found some stock bins so it shuld be prety easy to load those up.. then go from there i guess..

I am 99% sure thats why people have a problem getting their cars to pass with the autothority setup..
Old 09-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by NZ951
Ahhh it should be based on the engine temp, not intake temp. At least thats how it works on my standalone, "should" be the same for the stock setup I would think, just guessing here... maybe John or someone in the know can confirm.

all the GM stuff I have done you have a engine (coolent) temp that activates closed loop.. and some even have warmup specific maps to match..

on and you are right IAT..

its 2:15 am here.. sorry..
Old 09-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
My Autothority chips that came with the MAF were way rich in the midrange. Also another local car here in OKC with no mods except an old Autothority chipset ran really rich at the boost settings for the chip set. He sent the chips with the dyno charts including A/F to get them retuned for $100. We are anxious to see the results.
Interesting.. they are less then an hour away from my place.. maybe I will go talk to them.

i dident think they had the hardware or skills to do custom chips..

I figured if they did they wouldent be using that wack resistor setup on my car..

i figured they manged to get one resonable overly safe tune together and they just pass it on the the masses praying that it works out..
Old 09-11-2005, 03:32 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
My APE maf chips made the car run very rich as well. They just tend to run very rich in the midrange.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by tedwright
My APE maf chips made the car run very rich as well. They just tend to run very rich in the midrange.
I will go ahead and "third" the midrange thing..

I have seen 10.2's

:rofl: overkill
Old 09-11-2005, 04:00 AM
NZ951
Race Director

dude, I suggest you sell the APE chips and get some Vitesse chips... seriously.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:30 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Umm, Bill, last I heard Autothority went out of business. I could be wrong, though.

And yes, the chips run really rich... My eyes water from the rich exhaust following guys w/ these chips at the track.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were designed to be rich. If used as instructed they are just fine.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are the autothority chips JUNK