Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Considering Selling my 944 Turbo Cup Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't underestimate the importance of hoodpin latching!

Local guy and 944 platform guru had his gorgeous, freshly painted 968 RS Turbo clone at our last DE. This fire-breather is street legal, and had some very nicely fabricated cam locks with circular keys, to provide more tamper-proofing than regular hood pins.

Something like these guys :

Rolling out on the first lap of a run session, I was a few cars behind him when I saw his hood fly off, flip over the top, than spear down into his rear hatch and RS wing. The ifbreglass hood was destroyed, the hatch was shattered, and there were several dings in the wing.

The post mortem revealed that there was no positive visual reference to show that the cams were engaged, and the hood secure. Truly sad stuff that such a gorgeous cas should suffer such needless damage.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey Tifo, think you could fab up another set of those hood latch brackets? I have the hood, just need the pins and brackets.

Regards,
Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly enough my Cup car has the stock hood, car number three however has the fibreglass version. Car number two is no more and the unfortunate driver is still limping from the accident in 1987.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What's interesting about the Cup hood is that it burns better than the stock one and looks poor quality after some years because the paint finish cannot be as good as on metal.

Good luck for the sale.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Asarus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
Interestingly enough my Cup car has the stock hood, car number three however has the fibreglass version. Car number two is no more and the unfortunate driver is still limping from the accident in 1987.
1986 cup cars had no hood pins and stock hoods. The fiberglass (GFK) hood with pins was introduced for 1987+ cup cars.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Asarus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
What's interesting about the Cup hood is that it burns better than the stock one and looks poor quality after some years because the paint finish cannot be as good as on metal.

Good luck for the sale.
Race part... the aim is not to be a beautiful part but something efficient. So for the hood, it must be lighter than the stock one... and it is
Have you ever seen a Cup hood burned ?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:24 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Asarus
1986 cup cars had no hood pins and stock hoods. The fiberglass (GFK) hood with pins was introduced for 1987+ cup cars.
I can confirm that is correct. I have the build specification sheets for every year of the series and the 86 cars were not spec'd with the GFK hoods. There were quite a few differences for the first year of cup cars compared with the subsequent years (in addition to the hood......the wheels, brakes, roll cage, and a few other things).
Old 09-10-2005, 06:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Don't underestimate the importance of hoodpin latching!

Local guy and 944 platform guru had his gorgeous, freshly painted 968 RS Turbo clone at our last DE. This fire-breather is street legal, and had some very nicely fabricated cam locks with circular keys, to provide more tamper-proofing than regular hood pins.

Something like these guys :

Rolling out on the first lap of a run session, I was a few cars behind him when I saw his hood fly off, flip over the top, than spear down into his rear hatch and RS wing. The ifbreglass hood was destroyed, the hatch was shattered, and there were several dings in the wing.

The post mortem revealed that there was no positive visual reference to show that the cams were engaged, and the hood secure. Truly sad stuff that such a gorgeous cas should suffer such needless damage.
Ouch!

The factory Turbo Cup cars had the hood pins AND the factory latch in the center. I think the 968TRS lost the ability to keep the factory latch due to the presence of the intercooler. When I install a Cup hood on my car, I am following the factory method of keeping the center safety latch, for fear of the same fate befalling my car.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:56 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

BTW, Nocturnal, the email server for the email I sent you yesterday is down at the moment. If you could reply to my email about the hood via PM here, that would be great. Still interested in hearing from you.

Jeremy
Old 09-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Asarus
Race part... the aim is not to be a beautiful part but something efficient. So for the hood, it must be lighter than the stock one... and it is
Have you ever seen a Cup hood burned ?
I would understand using a race part on a race car, but a on a road car I don't see the point.
Yes, I have already seen a Cup hood burnt, on a Cup car you're unlikely to find out about.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Thom
I would understand using a race part on a race car, but a on a road car I don't see the point.
Yes, I have already seen a Cup hood burnt, on a Cup car you're unlikely to find out about.
I see your point Thom. To explain myself and the desire for a T-Cup hood.....

My car has slowly been turning into less of a street car and more of a DE/Autox car over the years. It really does not see many street miles unless I am driving to an event, or doing a driving tour with the local PCA. Given that, and my desire to make it a lightweight CS/RS type car that the factory should have made, you can see why things such as Turbo Cup hoods and lightweight parts are appealing for my project. If this car were my only car, or a daily commuter car, and not my occasional weekend toy, I would not be doing what I am doing.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Scott,

I am thinking very hard about making up some brackets and latch pins, probably this winter.

If Tifo has some extra parts for you, no problem, otherwise I am inclined to make up more than one set and can let you know.

I am also planning on copying the factory strut tower brace, and would likely make more than one of those also. Not sure if you have any interest or not.

From what I can find, part numbers for the hood latches are: 951 501 225(6) 00

The hood itself is 944 512 005 08

None of these parts show up in the PET part number catalog, so they are not available through a dealer.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Oddjob, please keep me posted, and yes, i wold be interested in teh T-Cup bar. I have a KLA on right now and like it, but a T-cup replica has that extra bit of "cool" about it.

Regards,
Old 09-11-2005, 12:19 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Oddjob, please keep me posted, and yes, i wold be interested in teh T-Cup bar. I have a KLA on right now and like it, but a T-cup replica has that extra bit of "cool" about it.

Regards,
ditto to the above. (yo Scott - safe and sound to Indy by 5:30am! )
Old 09-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oddjob
...I am also planning on copying the factory strut tower brace, and would likely make more than one of those also. Not sure if you have any interest or not...
Anyone have a picture of the Cup factory strut tower brace?

Quick Reply: Considering Selling my 944 Turbo Cup Hood