Hard shifting: syncros?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:56 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shifting: syncros?

Hi,
My car is having trouble going from 1st to 2nd smoothly. Reverse is sometimes hard too. Nothing too drastic, it's just like it has to pause as I travel through neutral and into gear. I want BMW smoothness!

Anyway, I replaced all the shifter bushings and checked the rear shifting linkage. Changed gear oil to Mobil 1. But the car still isn't that smooth. Maybe I'm asking too much from my 19yr old baby?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Josh
Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll know next week - tranny coming out to do 2nd gear syncro. Its OK when shifting moderately but a quick 1-2 change is not pleasant. It improved marginally with Redline MT90 but its got to the embarassing point now.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

I have the same problem, going into second i have to wait for the synchros to line up. Does there happen to be a adjustment that you can make to the shift cable for individual gears??? Ive been wanting to fix this for a while now, i had the clutch changed about a year ago and was just wondering if theres a way to adjust this??
Old 09-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a hard time going into 1st and 2nd gear. My shifter moves back and forth about 2 inchs also when in gear. I am hoping its only the shift linkage in the rear cause it is hard to go into when not moving and moving.

-Ian
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 AM
simmomi
Pro

Mine has done the same thing for a long time as well. We also changed out the dope in the tranny to the Redline. It helped some. It seems to be worse during the winter.

Whenever I do my next clutch, I plan on having the tranny pulled apart and checking the synchros and replacing any that need it.

I'm curious about something - didn't the TurboS have hardend steel 1st and 2nd gears? I wonder if the synchros were different. If this is true, can a standard '87 turbo tranny be changed to include the improved gears, etc? Just a thought.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:41 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Hmmm, good to know that I'm not the only one. Checking and adjusting the shifter and it's assemblies is really easy. If you remove the muffler heat shield you can get your face way up by the linkage.

Maybe it's just how the car is. I've never driven another 944/951 so I have nothing to compare it to. Were 80's Porsches as smooth as modern cars like BMW?

I hope it's not the synchros, how much is that gonna cost?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 AM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

syncro rings are relatively cheap - its the other bits that cost...........
Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Trouble getting into first and reverse is usually lack of clutch travel, have you adjusted the clutch linkage? If that's all in your disk might be worn out. Don't leave it go too long or you'll beat up your transmission and have to replace that too (or rebuild it at the cost of a college education.)

-Joel
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Yeah my second gear synchros are cactus too. Slow shifting is fine, but trying to do a quick 1st to 2nd shift at the Traffic Light GP often ends in horrible crunching sounds unless I wait for the revs to drop first (clutch pedal fully depressed) It's a good thing I never have to go back to 1st when I take it to the track
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Evan70
Pro

Don't count on the Turbo S tranny holding up any better, mine's hard on 1-2 shift and going into reverse, and it's done it since I bought the car at 60K miles. Haven't fixed it yet because it's not horrible, so I'll probably just live with it until it gets unbearable and then either completely rebuild the tranny or convert to a 6 speed.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Well, when I get home I'll work on the clutch pedal adjustment. If that doesn't work then I'll just sell it before it gets too bad. j/k

Quick Reply: Hard shifting: syncros?