Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad bearings after low oil pressure? UPDATE: Oil Pressure still LOW??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad bearings after low oil pressure? UPDATE: Oil Pressure still LOW??

I just finsihed my rebuilt engine and when I tried to get oil pressure to start it up it did not happen. Even after turning the engine over like 10 times it would not gain oil pressure. Then I decided to just start it up. When I started it up I got about 1-2 bar at idle when it was cold. The engine was very loud, probably because the lifters were not getting any oil pressure. I ran it to try and figure out an intake leak quick. It ran for no more than 5 or 6 min. But now that I am thinking about it, could I have damaged the engine because of the low oil pressure. It was only at idle and then the highest it went was 3k rpms when I reved it once to try and get more oil pressure. I am very worried that I did something stupid here and damaged the new engine. I still have to figure out my low oil pressure problem....

UPDATE: I don't know what is going on. I can't figure out what is causing my low oil pressure. The one thing that bothers me is this: When I start the car the oil pressure does not register. It takes 2 seconds for oil pressure to start rising. Then it rises to 1-2 Bar for idle. Why would it hesitate to pressurize? Oil Pump? Internal leak somewhere?

I pulled out the OPRV and cleaned it. The OPRV is aligned and clean. It worked just fine 3 months ago. Now all the sudden it is bad? I changed the oil filter...nothing. I changed the oil and the oil was very clean with no metallic pieces. It just smelt a little burnt. Please help me here, I am lost. Next thing to do is rip into it....

Last edited by 9fitty1; 09-07-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you used assembly lube for the bearings you are ok. If there is no metal glimmering in the oil you are ok for sure.
Bengt
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you had 10psi oil pressure per 1000rpm you probably didn't damage anything. However, drain the oil and check for any metal residues.. Oil analysis might be informative as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:54 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Derek: The manual states that a MINIMUM oil pressure of 0.5bar on idle is fine, but that is the minimum.

I remember you're earlier post on the low oil pressure, you mentioned not aligning the oil cooler housing. Did you adress that yet? you can get the alignment tool for $26 at Paragon or at Bruce (www.http://www.arnnworx.com/)
Old 09-07-2005, 08:19 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Updated ^^.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:44 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"UPDATE: I don't know what is going on. I can't figure out what is causing my low oil pressure. The one thing that bothers me is this: When I start the car the oil pressure does not register. It takes 2 seconds for oil pressure to start rising. Then it rises to 1-2 Bar for idle. Why would it hesitate to pressurize? Oil Pump? Internal leak somewhere? "

Dont worry about pressure taking a few seconds to build, used oil pumps lose their prime. There is enough residual oil to protect the bearings for a few seconds before pressure.

I didnt read the whole post, but do worry if your oil pressure is not up to the 5 on the guage when motor is cold.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it is running, is the power steering pulley wobbling, if so you have found your problem. I think it may be THE most common assembly mistake made. It is very easy to not get the front pulleys back together correctly and the result is a slipping drive to the oil pump. BTDT, got the t-shirt...Bruce
Old 09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a no-oil pressure at startup for a couple of seconds problem for quite some time. I've had to:
1. Replace oprv.
2. Check torque on crank bolt.
3. Change oil filter. (For a bad check valve.)
4. Changed sealing ring on oil pick up tube.
5. Check for cracks on oil pick up tube.

I think I am loosing my prime at either the pump or an external connection somewhere. Could be the oil cooler.

Since you are not building oil pressure immediately and you have very low cold oil pressure at idle it sounds like maybe the crank pully nut isn't torqued correctly. The oil pump won't build oil pressure if it isn't torqued correctly.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I found the problem, it was in my rebuild. Engine is coming back out. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:33 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the problem?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
I found the problem, it was in my rebuild. Engine is coming back out. Thanks for the help.

What!?!?! Give me a ring later, I have to hear this story. . .

Really though, that is too bad bro! I am sorry to hear that.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:01 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, what was it? This might be helpful to others in the future. I definitely feel for ya.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

So this is what happened. First of all, I need to make it clear that I am a moron for missing this and the only reason I feel inclined to post that this happened is so that if anyone else is doing an engine rebuild for the first time and can be an idiot at times, I don't want them to make the same mistake. So please keep the flames to a minimum. Thanks.

Ok, I did not realize that I needed to put locktite to seal between the cradle and the block. Now I realize that there are oil passages in there, along with the pickup will not seal correctly. I am not exactly sure how I missed this, I did everything by the book, or so I thought. This is a very costly mistake and will be fixed. I can only hope that nothing was seriously damaged. I plan on replacing all bearings just to be safe and also inspecting the crank. Lesson learned, lol. All I can do is laugh about how dumb this was....here are a couple pics right before I took the engine apart. You can see the old locktite is black coming out from between the cradle and the block. My thought, don't ask me to justify it now, was that the black was just caked on burnt oil. How could I have missed that? I know better now...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like you girdle was R & R’ed before – the black stuff is not stock. While it is a Loctite product it is really an anaerobic sealant. Important stuff – I am actually surprised that you got any oil pressure at all, it should have just sucked in air and not primed the pump.
I doubt you have any significant damage, other than the loss of a bunch of time!

Chris White
Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Derek -
I have the sealant you need having just done mine. It ain't cheap. I'll swap you for the clutch fork pin.

Quick Reply: Bad bearings after low oil pressure? UPDATE: Oil Pressure still LOW??