Looking for Suspension Components

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:51 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for Suspension Components

Hi all:

The only remaining project to complete the 951 are some suspension bits. What I am looking for is:

1) M030 Sway bars front & Rear
2) Koni Dual adjustable coil overs for the rear with 300 lb springs (I will remove the torsion bars)
3) Koni Dual adjustable fronts with adjustable ride hieght and 450 lb springs

If anyone has any of these components in good condition that they would like to unload please give me a call.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the paragon ARHK, but with 200# springs. Barely used, all new bump stops and o-rings. AFAIK, replacement springs are cheap - check eibach / hypercoil web sites.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:14 AM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Give me a call

My e-mail is tom.braun@colder.com

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

1.) Contact Paragon, sunset and zims for the M030 bars. They usually don't sell used for much less than new and they are hard to find used.
2.) To the best of my knowledge, the only dual adjustable Koni coilovers are offered by Paragon. You won't find any used. They around $1300 for the pair (I think) and you will need $150 for lower mounts. Paragon also sells a single adjustable Koni rear coilover for use with t-bars.
3.) You can have a set of Koni inserts revalved for dual adjustability by Truechoice. You might also contact Paragon about this as they do most of the Koni applications for 944s.

One final note. Your ratio of 450f/300r will understeer severely. Due to the placement of the rear springs in relation to the wheel, they are far less effective than the fronts. I suggest talking to Paragon and seeing what spring rates they recommend. Most people would use between a 500lb and 600lb rear spring with 450lb front spring.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:50 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

I know this is slightly off topic, but it is still somewhat related.

as you mentioned, Paragon sells two different koni rear coil over systems, one for $900 and one for $1300. what are the differences between the two? The lower priced one is advertised as being double adjustable. Why can these not be run without torsion bars?

also, is there any advantage to removing the torsion bars?
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks Max!

Thanks for the advise. Those spring rates were suggested by my mechanic who has a lot of experience with 944's. I still want a streetable ride and that is what he suggested. What would you recommend as a reasonable compromize for the street and track for DE days?

Tom
Old 09-01-2005, 01:04 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
I know this is slightly off topic, but it is still somewhat related.

as you mentioned, Paragon sells two different koni rear coil over systems, one for $900 and one for $1300. what are the differences between the two? The lower priced one is advertised as being double adjustable. Why can these not be run without torsion bars?

also, is there any advantage to removing the torsion bars?
Your best bet is to talk directly to Paragon about the differences. Paragon won't try to "sell" you on anything. I would also ask them about their Bilstein options.

The reason the $900 Koni coilovers are not "designed" for torsion bar delete is because of their mounts. They use a rubber mount with the stock bolt. It is debatable as to whether these shocks are safe to run without t-bars.

The $1300 Koni shocks are off the shelf motorsports shocks valved to, I believe, Paragon's specs. They have spherical metal bushing mounts and it requires the use of the Racer's Edge mount which is pictured. This mount is designed for a t-bar delete.

The primary advantage to removing the t-bars, is the ability to change ride height without needing to re-index the t-bars. Other advantages include the ability to quickly change spring rates and the ability to use much higher spring rates.

Originally Posted by ENGINEERMAN
Thanks for the advise. Those spring rates were suggested by my mechanic who has a lot of experience with 944's. I still want a streetable ride and that is what he suggested. What would you recommend as a reasonable compromize for the street and track for DE days?

Tom
What is one person's streetable is another's hell. Your only way to know what is right for you is test ride/drive setups. If you do jump in and find that it is too harsh, you can always change the rates pretty easily with coilovers. The only problem is that your shocks are valved for a specific range of rates. If 400lb springs are within their range, 1500lb springs and 150lb springs probably won't be.

Ultimately, I would contact Paragon directly. Another option is to look into Ledas which would be custom valved. PM RedlineMan or Chris White about those.

Last edited by macnewma; 09-01-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Tom,

My guess is that Auto Edge was recommending those spring rates to use with the existing 23.5mm torsion bars.

450 is pretty stiff for a compromise street/DE setup.

The $900 set of koni rear coilovers from Paragon is double adjustable. The basic difference is that the higher price units are mounted inverted to reduce unsprung weight, and also the mounts as mentioned above (rubber stock type versus solid spherical bearings).
Old 09-01-2005, 02:18 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Jim, 300lbs would be fine for keeping your 23.5mm t-bars. That might be pretty stiff on the street though.

If it were me, I would go with either full t-bar delete or no coilovers. I don't see much benefit to having both t-bars and coilovers versus the pain of reindexing to get proper preload when you combine them. I think people do it because of PCA stock class requirements to keep the t-bars...except most of those guys grind off the splines on the t-bars so it isn't truly using both.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some of the ride height adjustable koni's from a 944 Turbo S. Paragon can provide you with the correct perches to convert to 2.5" ID springs at whatever rate you want.

PM me if interested.

Paragon is out and can't get the 30mm 968 front bar. I tried a few weeks ago. Ended up going with the Tarett bar instead. They might have the 19mm for the rear though. I didn't ask because I already have one.

500lb for the front (properly valved) is all the higher I would take it for something driven on the street. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Looking for Suspension Components