Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo replacement/head rebuild part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Turbo replacement/head rebuild part 2

Finally got the head off today and the head gasket looks fine. There has definately been a mixture of the oil and water as all of the cooling passages are filled with the typical brown milkshake.
I look at the exhaust pipes and the pipe for cylionder one is coated with burned oil. The rest of them look ok. Cylinder walls look good too.
So now I am back to my original question....... What caused the mixture of oil and water and why was the car burning so much oil ?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

If the head gasket was not leaking, then it was likely the seals in the oil thermostat housing. See my repair write-up here:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm

The burning oil is probably a different issue -- how many miles on the motor? Was the No. 1 piston coated with more carbon build up than the others? Was the plug fouled?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

There is almost 190,000 miles on the engine. I am going to have Chris White rebuild the head for me. All of the pistons look amazingly clean, no carbon whatever. In fact the top of the pistons look like they are brand new!
Do you thing the seals in the turbo could have caused the mixture problem? The reason I ask is that when I drove the car before storing it it ran fine. After I took it out of storrage is when all the problems started. I had no boost and when I tried to get on boost a huge cloud of white/blue smoke came out of the exhaust.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:23 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 586 Posts

The coolant and oil passages in the turbo center section are not connected. Unless the housing is cracked I doubt that would cause your problem. The oil cooler is the typical culprit. BTW did you ever install that K27/6 I sent you?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Actually I ended up selling the turbo because the company I was working for told me they were going to renew my contract for another year. Three weeks after I sold it they decided not to renew it!
The part I am having trouble understanding is how all this stuff went bad with the car just sitting. Hell, my N/A sat for 4 years and started right up with no problems.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 586 Posts

Yeah but how old were the seals in the NA at that point?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:05 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Actually they were replaced durring that 4 year period.
I will go ahead and pull it tomorrow and replace the seals. If they look anything like all of the rest of the rubber I have found so far they most likely needed to be replaced yers ago.

Quick Reply: Turbo replacement/head rebuild part 2