Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rattle from car between 2k-3k rpm while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:25 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle from car between 2k-3k rpm while driving

I have been pouring through old posts looking for something that seems like my problem but nothing, or at least not anything I can find.

About a two months ago when I started driving the 951 daily I started getting a rattling sound from outside the car ( not hatch or loose interior or door bits). It only happens when the car has warmed up. I tried tightening heat sheilds but that only helped for a day, which makes me think I was only imaging in the heat shield rattled. In the beginning being embarrased by the sounds my car was making in traffic I would ease up on the throttle and I could keep the rattle at bay by either easing up, pushing up to 3k+ rpm, or downsifting and keeping the revs a little higher ( I thought I was shifting too early). Lately teh rattle has gotten MUCH worse, it comes in under load at 2k and stays through 3K in any gear except 1st. Sometimes I can finess the throttle and hold it at bay at any engine speed, but it's always possible to produce it if I try.

I have seen posts that point at TT bearings, clutch, pilot bearings, trans, motor mounts, and TB. Anyone have ideas? Would a sound clip help? BTW, not much or any performance change in the car either. Car is '88 turbo, no mods.

Heybiff
Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the heat shield by the oil fill tube, mine rattles like crazy at this rpm....here comes another intake manifold removal (weekly maintainence step these days).
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

or the heat shield over the oil filter, under the exhaust manifold. My brother-in-law mint 87 had a rattle when he got it home, 32k original miles. Took me about 20 minutes to find it. Stuff some paper towels between the filter and the heat shield, raising the heat shield, take a test drive and see if it helps.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Or the bracket securing the waste gate to the drive shaft tube.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

We should start a " Rattle Finding Spreadsheet"
Old 08-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cruise98
Or the bracket securing the waste gate to the drive shaft tube.

this rattled on my car as well, and it cracked my inlet tube; if the wastegate is rattling then fix this one right away. get ready for some u-joints if it is this.

there was a dab of weld on one of the connecting pieces for the wastegate pipe by the catalytic converter, obviously some mechanic was trying to change the resonant frequency of the pipe because it was rattling.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a rubber mallet and smack exhaust parts and shields under your car until you find it, then tighten adjacent bolts.

I had a muffler with an internal rattle, there's only one way to cure that. Must have been a loose baffle.

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2005, 06:36 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the responses.

I'll start checking those out. Strangley, there was a paper towel stuffed behind one of the hear shields, I promptly removed it just before taking to the road for the summer. I wonder....

Heybiff

Quick Reply: Rattle from car between 2k-3k rpm while driving