Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

V8 in, early review

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>As an aside, is it possible to use a 'Vette gearbox in our cars? Are all you guys just going through the stock 5 speed 951 box?<<<

I dunno about the Vette transaxle. I don't see why you could not do it, assuming that you had enough money to throw at it in terms of custom axles, custom mounts, and dealing with the torque tube differences.

And yes... I run through a stock 951 LSD (with cooler) transaxle using the GKN Motorsport Axles.

TonyG
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
As an aside, is it possible to use a 'Vette gearbox in our cars? Are all you guys just going through the stock 5 speed 951 box?
Here's a Vette gearbox in a 951:

It is possible but takes lots of cutting, and isn't practical on a street/track car. The stock 951 box works surprisingly well with the V8 - although I wish 1st and 2nd were a bit taller.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

How much tq / hp do we really think we can use through our stock box's?
DVC, that looks really well done in that pic. What are the issues though? Why isn't it practical on a street / track car?
Lastly what box is the best alternative for major hp/tq?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>>Here's a Vette gearbox in a 951<<<

That's a LOT more than a Vette gearbox installed in a 951. Are you sure it's a 951? :-)

TonyG
Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen that before somewhere recently Tony and it was in a race car from memory. It is the whole Corvette rear end I believe. Looks damn neat to me. I need something that is going to cope with a lot of hp/tq and I'm worried that my Porsche box won't.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

333pg333

Looks nice. But it's definitely not 951 suspension. In fact, there's nothing in the picture that's 951 (or Porsche for that matter...).

It's clear that there's some tube frame structure in the car, though who the manufacturer is an unknown (at least to me).

If it's Vette, it's got coil overs rather than the typical transverse leaf spring (is that still used on these cars...???)

TonyG
Old 11-14-2007, 12:03 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

DVC, that looks really well done in that pic. What are the issues though? Why isn't it practical on a street / track car?
Hi Patrick- here is more info on that car (go to road racing, and then 944 LS1 V8) http://www.piercemotorsports.com/:

The owner's name is Steve Rea and he is very helpful. He posts on the LS1Tech forum from time to time, and you can ask him about the details there. In fact, let me look for the link...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...t=#post7435108

Has your 3.0L destroyed a 951 trans yet?

Travis
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I was contemplating a V8 conversion there as well; they did my routine maintenance for the last year. Most complex job was a timing belt/ water pump install, which is where the problem started. The car was returned with no oil pressure reading on the gauge they returned it this way without knowing.

Brought the car back left it for a week to find the wires were pinched during the repair in turn causing a short, after picking the car up the second time from the re-repair. Half way down the block my engine sounded like a cement mixer vibrating like crazy. I have owned this car since 96 never experienced either problem.

Took the owner for a ride dismissed it as normal, car stalls on the highway call them the next morning they have no clue. Call my local out of State mechanic 1st word of advice check the balance shaft belt. Bring the car back 3rd time second re-repair. Sure enough during the re-repair the belt was not installed correctly nor was the car tested, once again.

Granted I can understand mistakes happen. Here is the kicker:

The owner is out testing his V8 not overseeing anything even though this is the second return to the shop resulting form the original repair.

The shop mechanic is totally pissed (probably because he is paid on piece work) that he has to re fix the car again, starts taking the underbelly off the car, removing the belt cover throwing the parts around the shop, swearing complaining, yelling etc. The owner than returns casually asks “how’s it going”. I tell him how it’s going, he then goes in and shows the guy how to fix his mistake properly aligns the belt, explains the guy has a problem it’s not the first time etc.

I am sure the conversion is fun and I have seen a few. I own a few P cars, take very good care of them. I am glad I am not tied to that shop after witnessing how my car was treated, for me it will be a modified turbo-S conversion, factory parts anyone can work on.

Originally Posted by JPR
The engine package has been completly engineered by German Performance, no Renegade Hybrid parts used. The brakes will definatly receive a little more development but as they stand now, they are very good.

The picts:
Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen that before somewhere recently Tony and it was in a race car from memory. It is the whole Corvette rear end I believe. Looks damn neat to me. I need something that is going to cope with a lot of hp/tq and I'm worried that my Porsche box won't.

Look at the links in post 41
Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

DVC, thanks for those links. I'm at work now but I will check them out thoroughly later. It's not my 3.0L that I'm worried about. We have something else being made atm and that will develop some serious tq/hp. Still a some months away but need to get prepared rather than caught out.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:43 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

rop3

Sorry... I read your post, but do not understand the "point", as you seem to be speaking from several perspectives.

What exactly was your issue? It seems that you were contemplating a V8 conversion, but (and I'm guessing here...) you were un-nerved by the shop doing the work to the extent that you did not trust them to do the conversion?

Is this the issue... or am I way off base? :-)

TonyG
Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony,

No problem, I recently shipped my car to Fla. in doing so needed to find a knowledgable shop, as I have in NJ.

Started using them as a regular preventive maintenance shop for anything the car needed in that regard.

My car is an S2 cab have always wanted more power as I really like the car, I own a few turbos one is a dedicated track car. But always wanted the open top car to have a little more power, years ago thought of importing a turbo cab. During the course of reg maintenance got to see some of the V8 work that was being done.

Point of my thread after the last go around with service, twice the car came back scratched up etc. not knocking the conversion or the quality of it. Just my experience doing biz there.

I am glad I did not do anything to my car that was proprietary to that shop as not to be locked into GP. Granted anyone can work on a GM engine but there is some custom fabrication etc.

As for my conversion just purchased a wrecked 951 S, swapping the drivetrain, rebuilding the engine with some light head work and a cup turbo expecting to end up around 350 HP explored the Powerhaus 16V turbo, option and a few others. if it was strictly a track car I would have considered that.

Not as much torque as the V8, just personal preference.

Originally Posted by TonyG
rop3

Sorry... I read your post, but do not understand the "point", as you seem to be speaking from several perspectives.

What exactly was your issue? It seems that you were contemplating a V8 conversion, but (and I'm guessing here...) you were un-nerved by the shop doing the work to the extent that you did not trust them to do the conversion?

Is this the issue... or am I way off base? :-)

TonyG
Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

You may be surprised just how much tq you can get out of a Big Four Banger if done in a certain way. Not sure on ultimate cost comparisons though?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVC
Here's a Vette gearbox in a 951:

It is possible but takes lots of cutting, and isn't practical on a street/track car. The stock 951 box works surprisingly well with the V8 - although I wish 1st and 2nd were a bit taller.
Whatever mechanic did THIS, has my respect.
Even my daughter thought that was cool.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

For the record, there have been some decent conversions on eBay going for about the same price as conversion alone. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: V8 in, early review