Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Race Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my money, I would talk to John about getting a turbo, head and intake manifold combination that will suit you best. It is all a part of a greater system and you need these parts to work together properly.

You could also talk to the likes of Scott Gomes or John Milledge. Basically, I would talk to people who have actual experience with our motors in race applications.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:50 PM
TurboTim
Banned

The 60-1 hi-fi's can make just as much power as the other turbos out there. If fact it is one of my favorite turbos,especially with the T4 hotside. 402 @ the wheels at 16 psi is possible because we have done it.

We have made 370 @ the wheels out of a 2.5L at 17 psi with a T04E-54 trim, stage 3 turbine, 8 cm hotside.

The funny thing I see people saying on these boards is that X turbos are better then Y turbos.The fact is that most of the parts for all the turbos for the 951's are made by Garrett or Turbonetics! As a matter of fact, if you have an upgraded turbo that bolts to your stock croosover pipe then I would bet that it has a Turbonetics hotside! Ofcourse each company can configure your compressor wheels and turbine wheels to suite their customers needs but the last thing that anyone should think is that X turbo is better the Y turbos because they are probably close to the same thing.

The fact is that there are 4 turbine wheels, 2 hotsides and about 7 compressor wheels for the B and E compressor housings which work well on a 944 turbo. You can mix and match and eventually find a really good combo. However, the larger you go on the hotside and turbine wheel the more lag you get but the more power you can make.

On another note I gaurantee that I can put together a turbo that will match the performance of any vendors turbo and it will come with a one year warranty and be VSR balanced to boot.Does this make us better? No! It makes us the same as everybody else. Listen people their is only so many combinations of turbos that you can put together for the 951's that work well.Anyone can do it if they have the knowledge.

The thing people should really take into consideration is price! Take care.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Garrett gt3071r is rated at 480hp. How is this turbo a joke? From what I understand they don't really come into their efficiency range until 20+ psi. On a 2.5l, this turbo (depending on the exhaust housing used) should be a quick spooling 400+rwhp turbo. On a pure racing application, of course it's going to be less than ideal with the smaller turbine/hotside compared to a full t4. However this should be a good 400rwhp turbo for the street if you're looking for response.

I have this thing about not wanting to put stuff on my car just because someone says it works, without understanding why and how it works. Sorry but, I just don't want to put a turbo on my car without knowing the specs of it. Proof or not. I'm not down with the "stage" upgrades.

On another note, thanks Tim! You've been very open about turbo specs and answered my questions several times, and I really appreciate that. You'll continue to get my business.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:12 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Porschefile
The Garrett gt3071r is rated at 480hp. How is this turbo a joke? From what I understand they don't really come into their efficiency range until 20+ psi. On a 2.5l, this turbo (depending on the exhaust housing used) should be a quick spooling 400+rwhp turbo. On a pure racing application, of course it's going to be less than ideal with the smaller turbine/hotside compared to a full t4. However this should be a good 400rwhp turbo for the street if you're looking for response.

I have this thing about not wanting to put stuff on my car just because someone says it works, without understanding why and how it works. Sorry but, I just don't want to put a turbo on my car without knowing the specs of it. Proof or not. I'm not down with the "stage" upgrades.

On another note, thanks Tim! You've been very open about turbo specs and answered my questions several times, and I really appreciate that. You'll continue to get my business.

You are right about the GT3071R.It doesnt really start to become efficient till 20+ psi which is why Andrew might not be having as much success out of it as he wants.It is a great turbo, it justs need to be run at higher boost levels.The GT35R might have been a better choice for him.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:24 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Porschefile].
QUOTE]

I understand and respect that, for me.. all I ask when making a purchase is that said product is assembled correctly and performs as decribed, with Vitesse products I have found just that.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:34 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboTim
You are right about the GT3071R.It doesnt really start to become efficient till 20+ psi which is why Andrew might not be having as much success out of it as he wants.It is a great turbo, it justs need to be run at higher boost levels.The GT35R might have been a better choice for him.
That is certainly the root of the problem. The GT3071R is a bad choice if you don't want to run high boost. I would guess that 450+ would be possible running enough boost.

That is why it is best to talk to an expert, such as Tim (I didn't mean to leave you off the list). They have have tried different combos and there is nothing that can replace actual experience.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:37 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

One of you guys requested I respond to this thread, I'll make it quick.

- Vitesse is known for providing SOLUTIONS, we are not part resellers nor do we want to be. Each item we sell, be it a chip, turbo or a complete kit performs as presented. We encourage all of our customers to verify our performance claims.
- We do not provide details on our turbos, as we did our homework. We looked outside the black box, we identified the needs and came up with the solution. Why on earth would we give out this information for free???? Our turbos not only generate the performance we say they do, there are lots of dyno charts to prove it. Peak numbers and late spooling turbos are not something we want nor provide. A FAT powerband is what we like and provide. Our kits perform as advertised (check out the dyno charts on our site), and we let our customers do their own reporting.
- There are lots of turbos out there. Also there are lots of software/chips available... You pick whatever works best for you.

We have spent lots of time and $$$ developing our products. We PROVIDE performance at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by fast951; 07-25-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Race Turbo