Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone Interested in an Almost Awesome 951?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:01 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone Interested in an Almost Awesome 951?

I am still having issues with my boost fluttering at 3500 RPM. I was told that it was the turbo, after everythig else had been tested, so I decided to buy a used T04E to replace my T04E. I was told yesterday that the "new" unit has too much shaft play. I haven't had a chance to ask my mechanic if my old turbo is worse or better in regards to the shaft play. Well this is the last straw that has broken the camel's back. I am so sick and tired of trying to have someone figure out this problem. It is just a waste of my hard earned money. Tthe Wolf3d install went smoothly but the boost fluttering creeped up. The problem may be small but I refuse to waste any more time or money. Therefore the car is for sale. I don't know how much I can get for the car but I am open to offers. Maybe you guys can give me an idea of how much I should ask for. Hey if it's something so simple to fix someone will get a great DE car. If you guys don't think I can't get much because of my boost issues then I am really considering parting out the car.

I have attached the specs on the car if anyone cares or is interested. This car may be too much for some on the street for others it may be fine. It just depends. The A/C is not working if you care for such a thing. The paint is not in the best shape but I am sure with a little waxing/buffing/etc. The car will look nice. If you need to know anything else please send me an e-mail at iborroel@ctiseattle.com or a PM. Pictures can be sent on requests. Thanks.

Ignacio

1986 944 Turbo
128,000 Miles (engine rebuilt at 122,500 miles)

Engine:
2.5L (1987 Engine with automatic tensioner)
Wolf3D w/J&S Safegaurd
Ported & Polished Head
Wide Fire Ring Head Gasket
Modified Baffled Oil Pan
T04E (unknown trim) Garrett & T04E V-Trim Garrett
Huntely Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
LR Crank Breather Kit
SFR Hard Pipes
Godzilla Blow Off Valve
PowerHaus Fuel Rail Gauge
LR 3” Exhaust
Siemens 72 lb/hr injectors
944 Turbo Cup Clutch w/Racing Pressure Plate
LR Dual Port Wastegate

Suspension:
Slotted Front Rotors
Pagid Orange Pads on the Front
ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
Steel Lug Nuts
Paragon Products Camber Plates
17x9 and 17x10 CCW Wheels w/Gunmetal Colored Centers (255/40 and 275/40 Kumho Victoracers)
17x7.5 and 17x9 993 Cup Replicas (225/45 and 255/40 tires)
Bilstein Coilovers (front 600/180 and rears 565/218) w/H&R Springs (500lb front and 550lb rear)
MO30 Sway Bars
Racers Edge Inner and Outer Delrin Spring Plate Bushings
Corner Balanced and Aligned on 8/10/2004

Interior:
Gauge Panel Under Stereo (no stereo though but there are Eclipse speakers up front)
Momo Monte Carlo Steering Wheel (350mm) w/adaptor
Stable Energies Rear Cage w/ Provisions for Front Cage
M&R Four Point harness (both sides)
Sparco EVO III Drivers Seat, Stock Passenger Seat
IO Port Video Camera Mount
Interior From the rear of the front seats to the rear of the car is gone.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-10-2005, 12:30 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email Sent about some info.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:40 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Pics?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:59 PM
944TurboStar
Advanced

I feel your pain......my 951 will probably be up for sale soon as well......just cant handle something breaking every week.......
Old 07-10-2005, 02:26 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

MPD47: Email sent.

Here's are a picture for you. If you want more just send me an email.

Last edited by iborroel; 08-22-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont do it!

Have you tried a different wastegate?

Actually if youre up for a trip, drive up here and we can throw my new Tial 38MM on there as a test if you want. Im just up in Surrey, just across the border.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We could also try my stock hard pipe and LR valve and see if that changes anything.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Don't give up, please post all the detail about the fluttering, I bet you if anyone can figure it out it will be the maniacs on board here.

What do you mean by fluttering? Is is surging, like 12-13-11-14-15-10 when trying to hold a constant boost level?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:19 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I might be interested in:

Wolf3D w/J&S Safegaurd
Ported & Polished Head
Modified Baffled Oil Pan
Huntely Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
LR Crank Breather Kit
SFR Hard Pipes
Godzilla Blow Off Valve
PowerHaus Fuel Rail Gauge

Paragon Products Camber Plates
17x9 and 17x10 CCW Wheels w/Gunmetal Colored Centers (255/40 and 275/40 Kumho Victoracers)
17x7.5 and 17x9 993 Cup Replicas (225/45 and 255/40 tires)
Bilstein Coilovers (front 600/180 and rears 565/218) w/H&R Springs (500lb front and 550lb rear)
MO30 Sway Bars

Momo Monte Carlo Steering Wheel (350mm) w/adaptor
Stable Energies Rear Cage w/ Provisions for Front Cage
M&R Four Point harness (both sides)
Sparco EVO III Drivers Seat

or the car for the right price.

oh yeah if you need ANYTHING don't hesistate to ask
I have a ton of parts sitting around (including a vitesse stg 3 kit just sitting)
I'm not very mechanically inclined but...

I'm in Bellevue let me know.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:54 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

theedge: I have tried my LR wastegate, a stock wastegate and a shimmed wastegate and the problem still occurs.

Jason_86_951: I will get in 3rd gear at 2K RPM. I will then floor it, like is done on a dyno run, and the boost will flutter when it gets to about 3500 RPM. It surges like 15-11-15-12-15-10 when trying to hold a constant boost level. If I rip through the gears from a stop sign the problem seems to be gone. If it does do it the problem is not as significant. I have asked on the board about this and everyone keeps telling me that it could be the wastegate and/or boost control. These things have been replaced with different units and the problem still occurs. There are also no leaks in the system. The only thing left that could be the problem is the turbo. This is why I bought the "new" unit and now that one may have to much side to side shaft play. The thing that sucks is that my old turbo is off and ready for this "new" one. I will probably just put it on. If my problem still occurs that will suck. Like I mentioned earlier I am tired of putting money in and not getting results. It has been such a waste.

emwporsche: I'll let you know about the parts. Since you are local it would make it so much easier to sell some of these things. I am not sure on the price of the whole car but if you have an offer send me an e-mail or PM. Please take into consideration that the suspension is less than an year old and has only seen 3 DEs, the Wolf3D and J&S Safegaurd are brand brand new and you can get it tuned locally by the guy who has developed/distributed the system for Lindsey Racing, the Kumho Victoracers have 3 DEs on them, etc. Let me know. Since the car or parts are going to get sold I have no need for a Vitesse Stg III.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

What is the time interval between each flutter? Can you feel the surges as well as datalog/see the boost gauge?
Depending on the time inbetween, why would the turbo itself be the cuplrut?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

OK I read the inital post about what was happening.

You say the problem always happens around 3500rpms, which if you start a 2000rpms this will happen, but when you ripp thru all the gears at WOT it doesn't happen. right?
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you run thru all the gears at WOT, don't you only run thru 3500 once? in first gear?
In first you wouldn't be at full boost either, so I'm thinking that why it doesn't happen then.
So I would think we need to focus on what is happening at 3500 rpms, and not before or after.

At first read, it does sound like either the boost controller, or vacuum leaks. But I'm thinking it has more to do with your ignition system.
3500 is right about the peak of your torque correct? If so wouldn't the electrical system be at full load (coil, wires, plugs), have you tried swapping those out. Could it be possible that the Wolf systems timing is putting a different load on those componets and causing this erractic behavior?

See if you can borrow a different coil and plug wires, just to rule this out.

Jason
Old 07-10-2005, 10:21 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Jason_86_951: There is not time interval between the flutter. When I get to 3500 RPM the boost gauge will flutter between 15 drop down, go back up, back down and keeps repeating. There isn't any time between going up and down. It is instantaneous. It just keeps moving back and forth rapidly on the boost gauge. It coninues to repeat at 3500 RPM and above. I see all of this on the boost gauge as well as feel it. We were thinking that there may be too much shaft play fore and aft that it's hitting the housing when it gets to this RPM.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:27 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Jason_86_951: I don't have any extra plugs, wires or a coil. If it was this simple it would be awesome but I will still be pissed considering that I bought a new turbo to install. I am putting my faith in what the guy installing the Wolf3D has told me. He knows his stuff when it comes to installing the Wolf3D in a 944 turbo. Heck he is the one who developed the Wolf3D for LR. I am sure he thought of the plugs, wire, coil when he was doing the install of the Wolf3D and the after install dyno runs. Heck if it's as simple as the plugs, wires or coil and it was missed you can see why I am so frustrated with this car. I spend the money to have other people diagnose my car problems. If they can't get it right then who will. I am not mechanically inclined so I trust the judgement of my mechanic and the guy installing the Wof3D. They are two different individuals but good friends. If they can't get it right this time then I just don't really want to have to deal with this again. I mean another problem could arise later on and if I spend money that doesn't fix my problem that was just more money going down the drain.

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested in an Almost Awesome 951?